Fantasy on Monday - need reassurance

tboss

We are supposed to leave on Monday from New Orleans and go to Costa Maya Tuesday and Cozumel Wednesday. Looks like that isn't happening.

Anyone think they would cancel the cruise?

If not, any guess as to where they might go instead of Mexico?

I suppose we can at least count on rough seas?

Will they allow people to cancel if they sail elsewhere? My Dad and stepmom were a little hesitant in the first place, and now I expect she is probably terrified.

You can be sure that your cruise ship and the hurricane will not meet! If Dean stays south of Cuba, then you will go north of Cuba, etc. The cruise won't be cancelled, and it would merely be delayed if the ship can't safely visit New Orleans on Monday. Many things can happen, but the worst would be a changed itinerary and perhaps a credit back if a whole day is lost.

Most of all it won't get dangerous. Hurricanes are not a risk that cruise lines like to take. If by blunder they get too close, they can withstand very, very strong winds.

Fortunately, the Gulf of Mexico is large enough that a cruise ship shouldn't be trapped there and exposed to extreme weather. If the expected track of Dean is accurate and Dean is entering the Gulf on Monday down near western Cuba, your ship would probably hug Florida and dock in Key West if space is available or else head to the Bahamas.

Otherwise you may linger north of the storm and by Wednesday, with Dean perhaps entering Texas, you may visit undamaged ports including Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Costa Maya, etc.

I think you will have a wonderful week. There are worse places to face delays or route changes than on a cruise ship. Which one are you taking? Let us know how it turned out.

We're leaving Monday on the Fantasy also. I'm anxious to see what's going to transpire. We were really wanting to go to Grand Cayman or the Bahamas anyhow..... My outlook is even if we were on a 5 day cruise to nowhere .... 5 days on a ship sure beats 5 days at work!!!!!!!!

Fantasy has been rescheduled to Key West & Cozumel.

Where did you find this information? That sounds odd to me since Dean is supposed to hit Cozumel almost head on as a Cat 5. I'm pretty sure they would evacuate, and the island would be pretty close to ruined if that did happen.

Of course they do have the Conquest scheduled to go to Cozumel as well. I just don't think it is going to happen if this hurricane is going to be as bad as they say, and if it hits where they say it is.

Sorry, just saw the updated changes, I guess the old one that I book marked didn't update.

It still makes no sense to me?

Carnival hasn't given up on Cozumel for Wednesday yet, but Cozumel is still dead center on Dean's projected path. I think you'll know by when your ship departs Monday.

There are not many choices left if Cozumel & Grand Cayman get slammed. Jamaica is also in harm's way now and probably too far away for a 5-day cruise. Likewise the Bahamas may be too distant, but if not, that a better stop than a visit to Tampa, in my opinion. (I think they'll stay at sea rather than stop at Tampa.)

I hope you'll enjoy your cruise and all the fun you'll have aboard ship. You might also get a beach day somewhere besides Key West.

I thought they had to take you to a foreign port if they took you to a US port? Something called the Jones Act or something? I honestly don't care where I am as long as I have a fruity girly beverage with an umbrella in the top :D

We're not supposed to be in Cozumel till Thursday, so maybe if it goes a little more north, and then that will give the residents time to get back...ok I'm trying to give us all a little bit more hope hehe. But I always hate to see any city that relies so much on cruise profits get hit really hard. Not good for them at all!

Don't worry about Monday departure on the Fantasy. This is my 43rd cruise and have rode out many a storm. As you should have seen by now, we are going to Key West and then Cozumel. This is a much better trade then Carnivals made up pier and shopping center at Costa Maya. The storm will be long gone by the time we get to Cozumel if we find much left of Cozumel????

Hope to see ya'll on board!!

We are supposed to leave on Monday from New Orleans and go to Costa Maya Tuesday and Cozumel Wednesday. Looks like that isn't happening.

Anyone think they would cancel the cruise?

If not, any guess as to where they might go instead of Mexico?

I suppose we can at least count on rough seas?

Will they allow people to cancel if they sail elsewhere? My Dad and stepmom were a little hesitant in the first place, and now I expect she is probably terrified.

Monday's Fantasy departure will put us in Cozumel on Thursday as pointed out earlier. If you look at the real track of the storm, the eye is due to hit way north of Cozumel, almost to the tip of the peninsular, which means Cozumel will get southern wall winds. In cases where a hurricane of this magnitude has caused ships to reroute the "Jones Act" can be by-passed in place of passenger safety. I hope we due get to go to Cozumel as their is a beer with my name on it at Carlos & Charlies. If not another sea day of relaxation is always nice.

Don't worry about Monday departure on the Fantasy. This is my 43rd cruise and have rode out many a storm. As you should have seen by now, we are going to Key West and then Cozumel. This is a much better trade then Carnivals made up pier and shopping center at Costa Maya. The storm will be long gone by the time we get to Cozumel if we find much left of Cozumel????

Hope to see ya'll on board!!

Archived