US Direct Vancouver

Wondering about US Direct. It's tempting, but I understand you proceed directly to bus (bypassing customs) and do NOT claim your luggage. I think you put your cruise luggage tags on prior to checking your baggage. I'm just wondering how they know which luggage is in the US Direct program. I really like to get my hands on my luggage and know it has been delivered to the ship. If you have experience with this program, please contribute your comments.

CAT

If you put your cruise tags on your luggage, up until 3 PM on the day of the cruise, it will go directly to the ship and you will not see it on the carousel.

It goes directly from the plane to the ship.

If you arrive after 3 PM you will have to do Canada Customs and claim your luggage yourself.

It is wiser to come in a day early. Then if your plane is very late or canceled you will have a better chance to make the ship. If your bag is lost you have a day to hopefully get

We used US Direct when we went to Alaska in June. It was great. You got off the plane, there were people there to assist you, you followed the direction throught the airport, answered a couple of questions, showed id, went downstairs, boarded the bus. The bus is then sealed. Our driver took a route throught the city to the pier. The bus takes you directly to the ship and wa-la you get your sea pass, and you are on board. We really weren't given a choice as we had booked our air through RCI and it was done automatically. We just followed instructions. Have a great cruise.

It sounds like if you do not use U.S. Direct you better not put your cruise luggage tags on until after you pick up your luggage.Can you imagine,people not knowing that,put their cruise tags on and go to claim their luggage and it is gone.How scary that can be.

It sounds like if you do not use U.S. Direct you better not put your cruise luggage tags on until after you pick up your luggage.Can you imagine,people not knowing that,put their cruise tags on and go to claim their luggage and it is gone.How scary that can be.

I am flying to Vancouver the day before, so cannot do US Direct. Booked my own airline tickets. My Docs from RCCL said to put their luggage tags on before leaving home. I am planning on doing that. Think it helps airlines to be sure luggage gets to Vancouver.

I guess I'm confused as to whether ALL luggage with ship luggage tags is picked up and taken to the ship. That would certainly be alarming if someone didn't know and was NOT participating in US Direct and couldn't find their luggage.

Can anyone confirm that all their luggage arrived safe and sound? Two weeks at sea with nothing but my carry on makes me very nervous.

I am flying to Vancouver the day before, so cannot do US Direct. Booked my own airline tickets. My Docs from RCCL said to put their luggage tags on before leaving home. I am planning on doing that. Think it helps airlines to be sure luggage gets to Vancouver.

I think I'd wait if I were you. The reason a lot of luggage gets lost is that it has multiple tags on it and ground personnel can be confused by it. Photocopy your itinerary and put it inside your luggage, as well as tucking a copy of it (I reduce it on my computer) behind your luggage tags.

I guess I'm confused as to whether ALL luggage with ship luggage tags is picked up and taken to the ship. That would certainly be alarming if someone didn't know and was NOT participating in US Direct and couldn't find their luggage.

Can anyone confirm that all their luggage arrived safe and sound? Two weeks at sea with nothing but my carry on makes me very nervous.

I'm not familiar with this program, but no, all luggage is not picked up and taken to the ship.

I posted this back in May on our Alaska roll call, so I am doing it again here. We have a friend that works at YVR and this is what she sent me when I asked about US Direct.

"If you are brave and fly in the same day as the cruise, then the Vancouver Transfer Program-U.S. Direct Express Customs and Immigration Clearance is good. You must arrive before 3 PM and have the cruise ship tags on your bags. They don't transfer the bags after 3 PM.

It will save standing in the Customs line for up to an hour some times. Even if you choose not to do this program they still transfer the bags if they have the cruise tags on them up to 3 PM. The baggage doesn't say whether you paid for the transfer, so the bags with tags go to the truck.

You are directed to a special area from the plane and then taken by bus to the cruise ship and your bags go in a special truck at the plane, on to the ship. They do not go on the carousel but directly into a truck on the tarmac.

If you want to Be Sure your bags made the flight, then don't put the tags on them and collect them at the carousel yourself. YVR has FREE luggage carts by the carousels and Porters to help you with your luggage.

There are cruise reps, only for the day of sailing, in the secure Baggage claim area to help you. NO one is allowed in this baggage area without a special badge.

Once you have your bags you give back your Declaration Card to the Customs Agent on the way out of the baggage area.

Once outside this area you will see All cruise line reps standing there to greet their passengers and assist them. If you have a transfer and exit this way they have their buses outside this area to take you to the ship."

I posted this back in May on our Alaska roll call, so I am doing it again here. We have a friend that works at YVR and this is what she sent me when I asked about US Direct....

Fabulous information Patti! I so appreciate your accurate and detailed tips. I can't wait to meet the guru herself in less than a month! ;)

Fabulous information Patti! I so appreciate your accurate and detailed tips. I can't wait to meet the guru herself in less than a month! ;)

Oh, but you are too kind!;)

You might want to tell folks on the roll call that IF they put their cruise tags on their luggage prior to leaving home, their luggage will appear in their cabin (hopefully) even IF they decide not to do the US Direct.

I think this is where some of the confusion is. As our friend Dayle told me, the porters collecting the bags from the carousel with cruise tags on them, are directed to load them on the truck to the ships.

If folks are afraid of using US Direct and want to claim their own luggage and go through customs, then DO NOT put the cruise tags on.

Oh, but you are too kind!;)

You might want to tell folks on the roll call that IF they put their cruise tags on their luggage prior to leaving home, their luggage will appear in their cabin (hopefully) even IF they decide not to do the US Direct.

I think this is where some of the confusion is. As our friend Dayle told me, the porters collecting the bags from the carousel with cruise tags on them, are directed to load them on the truck to the ships.

If folks are afraid of using US Direct and want to claim their own luggage and go through customs, then DO NOT put the cruise tags on.

There seems to be a current situation where folks are asking about putting on the tags if they are flying in the day before. I told them I didn't think it was a good idea. Any thoughts?

To use US Direct:

1) U S Citizen or Residency card

2) USA flight to Vancouver

3) Have a valid US Passport

4) Arrive prior to 2PM

5) Have used online check in

All this on Page 14 of doc booklet (Airport to Pier) transfer page.

It also states Airport to Pier is a 45 minutes drive. You follow green U S Direct signage to the Terminal folks who check passports & take transfer tickets, so have both ready.

Be sure luggage tags in the dock booklet are on bags prior to checking at your airport.

If you put your cruise tags on your luggage, up until 3 PM on the day of the cruise, it will go directly to the ship and you will not see it on the carousel.

It goes directly from the plane to the ship.

If you arrive after 3 PM you will have to do Canada Customs and claim your luggage yourself.

It is wiser to come in a day early. Then if your plane is very late or canceled you will have a better chance to make the ship. If your bag is lost you have a day to hopefully get

Thank you Patti and thank you everyone else. Very good information and we just need to decide if we want to risk it. If we arrive on time, getting through customs won't be a problem. And by picking up our own luggage we have the relief of knowing our luggage made it to the ship.

cat

Thank you Patti, all the information is correct that I gave you. Up to 3 PM the bags will be transfered with a cruise ship tag.

If you put your luggage tags on your bags and you are Not sailing that day that you arrive, they Should Not be transfered to the ship.

However, I have seen it happen many times that they are transfered due to confusion over a similar colour cruise tag, for a different ship that sails that day.

The baggage handlers work very hard and have many, many bags to handle, so they do not have time to read the tags. If the tag looks similar to one that is sailing that day, they could pull that bag by mistake.

Then the passenger has to wait inside the baggage claim area while the luggage is found and returned to that baggage area. It may take a long time for that to occur.

SO, I personally would not put cruise tags on my bags if not sailing that day but have them in the suitcase pouch with my itinerary to be safe.

If you want to be sure you see your luggage, do not put the cruise tags on the bags the day of sailing. When you get your bags then put the cruise tags on them. There are free luggage carts and Porters to help with the bags by the carousels.

On your day of sailing there will be a cruise agent for your ship by the baggage claim area at Carousel # 20, just past the Canada Customs counter.

The rest of the cruise agents are waiting outside the baggage claim area to assist you. Even if you come in a few days early all agents are there to await their passengers, holding a cruise sign.

I am happy to help with any other questions. Happy cruising!:)

Cat, if your plane is on time you should have no problem making the ship. As long as your paper documents are in order and there are no personal Canada Customs problems.

It takes about 45 min. to get to the pier. There is the cruise line transfer or a taxi. The taxis are just outside the airport door on your arrivals level.

I don't think there is a shuttle to Ballantyne pier, unless there is a private company I am not aware of.

Customs can be very busy that time of day but you would still have time to get to the pier.

The RCCL agent will be by Carousel #20, the first one after Customs, to greet you. He/She will be able to answer any of your questions. The rest of the cruise agents are just after the baggage claim area.

Have a good flight and a great cruise.:)

Welcome to Vancouver!

• 1 year later...

So, if we do the US Direct deal if we are flying in the day of the cruise departure and I am in before 3:00 then do we go thru customs or do we bypass customs and go straight to the bus where we are locked on the bus? It sounds to me like basically when we checkin for our flight from the US to Vancouver that they check our Passports, etc... and then when we get off the plane in Vancouver we go to a special area - bypass customs and get put striaght on a cruiseline shuttle and taken directly to cruise ship - do we ever see Candian Customs?

Kristin

So, if we do the US Direct deal if we are flying in the day of the cruise departure and I am in before 3:00 then do we go thru customs or do we bypass customs and go straight to the bus where we are locked on the bus? It sounds to me like basically when we checkin for our flight from the US to Vancouver that they check our Passports, etc... and then when we get off the plane in Vancouver we go to a special area - bypass customs and get put striaght on a cruiseline shuttle and taken directly to cruise ship - do we ever see Candian Customs?

Kristin

If you use US Direct, you completely skip Canadian immigration at the airport and US immigration at the pier. When you get off the plane, you follow the signs for US Direct (bypassing Canadian immigration) and it will lead you to an area to board your bus. Your bus is sealed for transport to the pier, where you then bypass US immigration and head to check-in. All you have to do is buy cruiseline transfers in advance and make sure your airline participates, and then when you check in for your flights make sure to put your cruiseline luggage tags on your bags so they know to pull your bags from the belts and send them onto the pier.

Is there such a thing as US Direct when leaving the ship? We are flying into YVR the day before the cruise, so we will be claiming our own luggage. However, is there such a thing that exists when leaving the ship and traveling to the airport on the last day of the cruise?

Yes, it works both directions. You will need to sign up for it during your cruise. You will have to purchase the ship transfer and also I think (if I remember correctly) another fee because they give you your boarding pass.

CVU - Thank you, Thank you, Thank You for advising NOT to put your cruise tags on if you are flying in a day early. I very well might have done that - what a tragedy if your bags made it to the pier and on the wrong ship!!! Yikes!!

Very useful info on using US direct when entering Canada from the US. Any advice on using it when coming from Canada to the US at the end of the cruise?

If the program is again available this year-

you leave the ship and come directly on a shuttle bus from the ship to US Customs and enter the US Departure Gate area behind Security.

If you do this program you can not leave or smoke in that departure gate area. There are no smoking rooms available any more at YVR.

You will most likely be there by noon and if your flight is late you can not leave. It is a very nice area however, at YVR, with food services, shops and seating.

CVU - Thank you, Thank you, Thank You for advising NOT to put your cruise tags on if you are flying in a day early. I very well might have done that - what a tragedy if your bags made it to the pier and on the wrong ship!!! Yikes!!

Very useful info on using US direct when entering Canada from the US. Any advice on using it when coming from Canada to the US at the end of the cruise?

WeBCruisin, Thank you, glad the info was helpful.

The cruise lines do offer the same service. I am not sure if it is offered this year as cruise numbers are down this year. I have answered it above about the US Direct.

I think you would be OK about tagged luggage not going to the wrong ship. The tags are checked. Your ship should not be leaving a day early but the tag could get confused if the colour is similar to other tags leaving that day.

But do take your tags off once your cruise is all over, before you go on flights after you are home. That is when you could enter an airport and have an old tag on and that very ship could be leaving from that port.

If you are one that likes to see your luggage, then when you enter YVR leave your tags until you collect your bags, then put them on. The tagged luggage does not appear on the carousel at this airport but goes to the ship via the tarmac from the plane.

• 2 weeks later...

In regards to leaving the ship and the US Direct Program - if you are flying out of YVR there is the US Direct option in reverse.

On board the ship there will be information give (and shown on the tv's) about the US Direct On-Board Check in option. You sign up, get your boarding cards in advance, and special luggage tags to put on your luggage. You leave your luggage outside of your room the night before and they come by to collect. The next morning you exit the ship with your carry on luggage and head to special US Direct buses that allow you to go through an expedited customs at the port. You then get bused directly to YVR, missing the main terminal and heading directly to a special cruise ship facility right in the middle of all the US departure gates. The luggage is automatically sent to the airlines. Its saves lots of time and energy, and its a great option!

In regards to luggage tagged with cruise line tags. ANY bags with cruise line tags that arrive the day of the sailing are automatically shipped to the port, whether or not you go through US Direct. Honestly, the airport has been doing the program for years and the baggage transfer is very good and arrives right to your stateroom. Yes, there is the concern about what if the tag falls off. After every flight clears, the cruise lines compare all the left luggage with the names on their manifests. If a name matches, they pick it up and transfer it to the ship.

US Direct is an amazing program, cutting time in half and allowing an easy and carefree transfer to the port.

Archived