SD car rental: pier dropoff??

Unca Pete

Are there any rental car agencies that operate a dropoff facility for rental cars at the cruise dock area? We're thinking about renting a car at the airport, but we'd need a covenient return location near the Princess pier to make it worthwhile.

Peter

There is no rental car drop off at or near the cruise pier; closest are at or near the airport. Unless you can find a car rental company which would provide some special, individual service(which I doubt, since the airport is so close) your best bet is to drop off at the airport and take a cab back to the pier.:)

The Enterprise "airport" location is 2.16 miles from the cruise pier. A cab could not cost that much. I tried to get them to do the reverse and pick us up at the cruise pier after a cruise, but was told they don't have that service from the "airport" location..and it is only 2 miles away! (They wanted to charge an extra $40. to bring the car to us and then for us to return it the next day. Never heard of such a thing....but I can't find a better deal with any other company either. Our option is going to be for my hubbie to go get our car using the Blue line Trolley after our cruise. Mapqaut says the whole trip will take him less than 15 minutes inclusding a 2 block walk to the trulley station from the cruise pier and a .2 mile walk from the trolley dropo off place to the dfoor of Enterprise Rental car. A taxi to go 2.16 miles cannot be that much either (could it?)...

You can easily walk from the cruise ship pier to several rental agencies that are between the cruise ship pier and the airport. No need to go all the way to the airport. You can either hoof it (after dropping your party off at the pier) back to the cruise port, or try to get a cab, from several agencies along PCH or Grape Street.

• 2 weeks later...

On our cruise out of San Diego, I dropped everyone and our luggage off at the pier and drove back to the Thrifty car rental dropoff. This "airport" location, as others have said, is actually closer to the pier than to the airport. I then walked back to the cruise ship pier - most of the walk was along the waterfront, quite enjoyable. Saved myself waiting and paying for a cab and got some fresh air and exercise.

Thanks Phamer55! Since we have never been to San Diego before I was happy to learn that the Thrifty rental car location was so close to the cruise port. I just cancelled our reservation with Enterprise and went with my Thrifty Blue Chip. Saved a few dollars AND the walk will be shorter to get our car after our cruise. Thanks for the tip!

Archived