Soap?

This may be really silly but....does Aventure provide soap in the bathrooms? Is it bar soap or liquid? I assume we have to pack shampoo and conditioner? We are in a "deluxe ocean stateroom" category E1.

Has anyone taken a diffuser and used it on the hair dryer provided? I don't usually dry my hair but for formal night I would feel silly in a nice dress and wet hair:D

Thanks

Yes there is soap and shampoo. I think it may be a shampoo/conditioner product but I'm not sure, I don't use mystery products. If you use any color products on your hair the shampoo they have will dry it out. Even if you do use their conditioner, take along a deep conditioner to use mid-cruise, the sun, salt and chlorine are not kind to your hair at all.

We also use a body wash and don't even unwrap the bar soap, but it's probably just standard bar soap if you like to use that.

I'm not sure your diffuser will fit onto the hairdryer, it depends on the diffuser itself and the type of dryer in the cabin. I know I used to have a diffuser that was just the fabric, no hard plastic on it, so it would fit virtually any blow dryer.

If this doesn't sound like it will work out for you, get an extra towel for your hair and thoroughly towel dry it a second time, flip your head upside down and use the blow dryer to dry underneath and just the root area. If you have a bslcony, go out there for a few minutes :) A bit of your curl product or silicone drops will help any frizzies if that is what you are concerned about.

This advice comes from a former hairstylist ;) probably more than what you wanted to know :D

Thank you :)

I always take facial cleanser but wasn't sure if we should take bath soap too!

A good conditioner is a great idea...thank you! Our little daughter has incredibly fine blond hair that breaks so easily, it's like adult over processed bleached hair, and it turns green after too much pool time. My hairdresser recommends putting a heavy oil (palm?) on her hair every day before she goes for a swim.

My hair is chin length thick and curly with a lot of frizz which is why I kind of gave up on hairdryers. The extra towel and serum is a great idea. I'd be afraid to flip my head over and blow dry in case I turn out like Don King!! lol

Ya see, it's hard to give advice unless you can see and feel a persons hair!

Your hairdresser is correct, blonde hair just absorbs chlorine and other chemicals, so not only saturate it before swimming, wash the chlorine out or at the very minimum rinse it with clear water after the pool. I've not heard to use heavy oil, but wet it and slather it with conditioner. Heavy oil may be hard to rinse out onboard the ship, keep it simple!

You might want to get your little ones hair cut just before your trip, a haircut is the best conditioner of all, get the dry ends off :)

There are so many curl/anti-frizz control products on the market now. Along with shampoo and conditioner I don't make recommendations specific, let the person who cuts your hair do that.

Oh, I don't want you to think I was asking advice about specific products or anything. I was just grateful for your suggestions. :) I will try out the towel / dry underneath method to see how it works before I get on the ship! My salon gave me a gift of travel size Rusk "Calm" condtioner and shampoo which i am planning on packing along with a good heavy conditioner! Between the books to read and the hair products my suitcase is practically full already. :D

truffles2 - Ugh...I also hate those little teensy bars of soap. If the hotel industry gave out better soaps then maybe they wouldn't have to give us body lotion too!

No worries, it's just that sometimes I see a list of responses a yard long with suggestions for different beauty/hair products and I think it can be far too confusing for most of us. A person could end up with a basket of worthless products if they take the advice everyone gives them. What works great for me can be a mistake for you!

Come on over to the Fashion/Beauty board, you'll have fun there :)

No worries, it's just that sometimes I see a list of responses a yard long with suggestions for different beauty/hair products and I think it can be far too confusing for most of us. A person could end up with a basket of worthless products if they take the advice everyone gives them. What works great for me can be a mistake for you!

Come on over to the Fashion/Beauty board, you'll have fun there :)

Are you implying that everyone DOESN'T have a basket full of worthless products??????? Sheesh!:D :D

Are you implying that everyone DOESN'T have a basket full of worthless products??????? Sheesh!:D :D

I clear out my cabinet on a regular basis!

I really try not to buy stuff just because someone else says it works great, I really do ;)

FWIW... I bought a diffuser from my stylist a while back. It's sort of hard to explain it, but giving it my best shot... It's like a "sock" that fits over the end of the hair dryer. It's black and made out of the same sort of spongy stuff as the filters in the hair dryer vents. It packs flat and fits on ANY hair dryer that I've ever tried it on. I paid about $20 for it at my salon and remember being a little ticked off when I saw one at a beauty supply store for about $5! I don't know if they still make them, but it would be worth checking out Ulta or Sephora. I couldn't be seen in public w/o it and/or my flat iron! :)

I switch products around all the time. I've found that nothing ever works really well for more than a couple of weeks. My latest favorite is Redkin's "Smooth Down" line. My hair is super curly - super frizzy - but not particularly thick. I also have it triple color processed about once every 6 - 8 weeks just to make sure that it's completely fried! The Redkin stuff just got me through our cruise. I was suitably impressed with it because my hair was taking a beating with the chlorine and sun and wind and stuff... not to mention being washed EVERY day (sometimes twice) and dried EVERY night!

We just got off the Liberty of the Seas yesterday. We had a GS, and they tell you they give upgraded toiletries. I always bring my own haircare, lotions and shower gel, but I use their mouthwash. There was none. When I asked the stateroom attendant, he said they don't give it out anymore. There were minimal items in the bathroom.

Tasha

Thank you :)

I always take facial cleanser but wasn't sure if we should take bath soap too!

A good conditioner is a great idea...thank you! Our little daughter has incredibly fine blond hair that breaks so easily, it's like adult over processed bleached hair, and it turns green after too much pool time. My hairdresser recommends putting a heavy oil (palm?) on her hair every day before she goes for a swim.

My hair is chin length thick and curly with a lot of frizz which is why I kind of gave up on hairdryers. The extra towel and serum is a great idea. I'd be afraid to flip my head over and blow dry in case I turn out like Don King!! lol

I, too, have curly, frizzy hair and I don't even attempt to blow dry my hair straight when on a cruise...if I do it seldom stays smooth and straight once I leave the cabin...so now I just get a short cut before cruise..wash & condition well and then towel dry and run some curl gel through and I'm set to go...I am using Strictly Curls (Marc Anthony product)..reasonable and works well...

We' date=' too, always take a full sized bar of Dial. Those little bars of soap they give you just don't cut it! I also take travel size shower gels and such from Bath and Body Works. All of those things are eady to pack.[/quote']

This last cruise, I took 2 trial size bottles of pump hand soap to wash hands in the cabin. I think it was a DOVE trial we got in the mail! Anyway, worked great and I just retwisted the top to take home what wasn't used. I wanted to make sure that my kids would keep washing hands in hopes of avoiding the norovirus!

Most of the hotel chains are carrying much better bath products than they used to (i.e. Neutrogena, Origins, Crabtree & Evelyn . . .). Since I travel a lot for work, I accumulate all of this in one big basket. That way when we, family & friends travel they come by and take what they need. Will leave lots more room for souvenirs :)

Archived