Half Moon Cay

CSIMelissa

9/1 is a long time away - your ports could be just fine by then. Dean will be long gone - it's just a matter of how much damage the ports sustained.

It's my understanding that HMC is a tender port, not docked. I don't know how far from the tender drop off the walk is, though.

Thanks! I was meaning "safe" as some ports of call aren't the greatest and have been advised by many travelers and my own experiences that they aren't the greatest for a couple of women to explore alone.

The dock is a few hundred yards down to the left from the perspective of the cameras. I'm not sure what you mean by safe? No one else is there but ship crew and passengers.

We cruised there lastSeptember this was our favorite stop beautiful is right it is uninhabited except for cruise passengers and your tendered right to the beach your ship will be right near where you are swimming good photo ops of you with the ship in the back ground and the softest powdery sand and clearest water we loved it hope you enjoy!!!

I'm sure because of Dean our 9/1 sailing on the Imagination will be changed to the Bahamas. I have a question about Half Moon Cay - can you walk (safely) to the beach from where the ship docks? How far?

Thanks!

Melissa

Half Moon Cay was one of the safest ports of call we were there in May 07. Enjoy!

HMC is beautiful and it's our favorite "island" to spend the day lounging on the beach. Like others have pointed out, it's a private island...so you're not going to deal with anyone hassling you about anything.

We were there on the Zuiderdam last Feb., and had a wonderful time. You use your ship card to pay for pretty much everything (drinks, souvenirs), and the BBQ is provided free by the cruise line. There is a straw market area where you can get hairbraiding, and some t-shirts...and you need cash for that, but beyond that, you only need your card. We also had some cash on hand for our butler (we had a cabana) so we could tip them (there were two butlers) at the end of the day.

Once you get off the tender, you walk through this big yellow/orange arch (a very short walk to this), and directly to your left is the ocean.

Here's Ziggy's pictures of HMC....

http://www.webshots.com/search?query=ziggy+HMC&new=1&source=chromeheader

Thanks! I was meaning "safe" as some ports of call aren't the greatest and have been advised by many travelers and my own experiences that they aren't the greatest for a couple of women to explore alone.

HMC is Carnival and Holland America's "private" island so probably pretty safe. But always use caution like you would anywhere with personal belongings (and this included the ship.)

It is a cruiseline private island, so the only other people there will be fellow cruisers.

HMC photo gallery

Archived