Le Harvre and the D-Day Beaches

Chetsky

My father was with the 1st Division invasion at Omaha Beach on D-Day. I have to see Normandy and those beaches to get a idea of what they went through on that horrific day. He was a hero and I want to honor his memory and rest of the fallen soldiers.

Any recommendations for the best way to see the D-Day beaches? The ships tour (11 hours) stops in Bayeaux before going to Normandy and I want to maximaize my time there so I'm not sure if that's the best way.

Rent a car in LaHavre-you can walk to the rental car shops from the port(About 10 Minutes) For about $70.00 we rented a car with another couple and went to the Beaches. We hit Juno (Canadian), Point du Hoc ( where the Army Rangers scaled the cliffs) Utah, and Omaha. Make sure you stop at the American Cemetary. We started at appoximately 0800 and got back to the ship for supper. I salute your Father and the sacrifices he made. You really get a different perspective of what those guys had to go thru. You'll see the hedgerows they had to fight their way thru inch by inch. Very easy to get around. Mostly main highways but you can take the skinny sideroads if you want. Maps available at the rental car agency. Good luck.

chetsky, I agree with jakedoc, you can go online and rent a car from the major companies who have outlets near the doc. French roads are good to use. You will see way more, be on your own timetable and be cheaper overall.

le_havre@rentacar.fr

This is a car rental right at the pier where the ships dock at Florida Tip. There is also a new tourist information desk and welcome centre, shopping and other services...and...they are open on Sundays! Most of the other car rentals are closed on that day.

Here are the prices we were quoted:

"So we can rent a car for two persons and one day no limited kilometers ;this car should be at your disposal at 0800 PM on the pier 9th september 07 ; the cost is about 80.00 € for the economic small car , 90 00€ for the city car, 110.00 € for a business car and 165.00€ for a van (7 places)."

We opted for the 90Euro car as it is an automatic.

Thank you - Great Info !

Anyone know if there are any private tours that are available at the tourist information area at the port?

I'm not too wild about driving in foreign country after a "I saw my life flash before me" experience with a bus in Jamaica. Plus my wife is not too wild about my driving in the states let alone driving in Europe. - I'd hate to get a divorce before we get back to the US.

Besides it a heck of a lot better to get there than the troops had it on June 6, 1944!

So if it's my best option to get to the D-Day beaches - then look out France here I come!

Thanks everyone for the great info!

Chesky, I'm sure your visit will be an emotional one. Memorial visits like this have taken on a new meaning for me as well since my oldest son lost his life serving in the Marines in Iraq this past November. We visited Pearl Harbor during vacation last month, and I have a whole new appreciation for these things now. I'm sure our visit to Normandy will raise similar emotions.

Have a great trip!

Thank you - Great Info !

Anyone know if there are any private tours that are available at the tourist information area at the port?

I'm not too wild about driving in foreign country after a "I saw my life flash before me" experience with a bus in Jamaica. Plus my wife is not too wild about my driving in the states let alone driving in Europe. - I'd hate to get a divorce before we get back to the US.

Besides it a heck of a lot better to get there than the troops had it on June 6, 1944!

So if it's my best option to get to the D-Day beaches - then look out France here I come!

chetsky, why not go to the Roll Call board and see if you can match up with someone who could do the driving. If that makes you nervous too, try finding someone on board who might be interested in going. Try to avoid the cattle call tour if you can.

2sightseers - We are going on the Jewel of the Seas for a Transatlantic - we'll be in LeHavre on April 11th '08.

I didn't have any luck in finding overlandtours.com. Do you have a different address or any other info. for them?

Archived