Sydney, Nova scotia question

sdf89

We have heard that the Louisbourg fortress is "rushed" if you do a ship tour. Do any of you have thoughts on our using the Radisson tour for the 4 hour stint and then staying a few hours longer and taking a taxi back to ship? (and yes, making sure we are back many hours before departure)

Here are my notes from Syndey, Nova Scotia

This is a great port with many things to do. You will have to make choices. This town is set up for tourists, so it makes it easy to do things independently. There is a small tourist office in the area where you disembark. They can help you with your decisions if you are going independently.

Key Highlights: Fortress of Louisbourg, Miners Museum, Alexander Bell Museum and Estate, Bras D’or Lake area.

Downtown Area: We were in town on a Sunday so everything was closed. This was a small town and you really needed to go further afield to discover what this area had to offer, so it is was not a problem that the town was closed.

Fortress of Louisbourg: This is a very well done re-creation of a French fortress on site of the original structure. The buildings look authentic and the “townspeople” are in period costume; we really felt like we were stepping back in time to the days of the old fort. The entrance fee is about $12 US per person. I recommend putting this on your list of things to see. A photographer’s dream.

Miners Museum: A very interesting tour through a coal mine led by retired miners, who offer a glimpse of life in the mines and the struggle the miners and their families experienced. There are also a museum and video. A word of warning: the mine ceiling gets as low as 4 feet in places, and you must be able to stoop down to navigate your way through. You cannot go through the mine without a guide, so if you go on your own and it’s late in the season, be sure to check tour schedules beforehand. The entrance fee is $8 and taxi fare is $25 each way. Getting a cab back may be difficult.

Alexander Graham Bell Museum: This was interesting only for those that have an interest in Alexander Graham Bell. The entrance fee is $5 US. The museum is located in the beautiful Bras D’or Lake area.

Taxis: There is only one taxi in town that holds six; all the other taxis are a maximum of four people. Readily available and at a set price: $100 to the Fortress and the driver will wait for you and bring you back; and $130 for the Alexander Bell Museum. The problem here is that the Fort, the Miners Museum and the Alexander Bell museum are all in different directions and quite a distance apart from each other. It took an hour to get from the Fort to the Alexander Bell Museum.

Ship Excursions: There are different tours that cover the attractions mentioned above. The Bras D’Or Grand Tour received rave reviews. This includes a ride on a schooner – something you cannot do on your own.

I would be tempted to hire a car and drive myself. The roads are very quiet and well signposted, and it then gives you whatever time you need to do whatever you want to do.

I would agree that 4 hours is not really enough time to do Fortress Louisbourg justice.

The AGB museum is in Baddeck and is also well worth a visit if you have an hour or so. Incidentally one of his descendants still lives in the family mansion overlooking the lake.

If you hire a vehicle but decide not to visit Fortress Louisbourg then consider driving the Cabot Trail. I've done it several times, lot's to see en-route - I've seen whales from pull-offs en-route. Depending on when you're travelling the Fall coulours are great as well.

The Nova Scotians are very friendly, some of the nicest people in the world.

Archived