Laua recommendation in Maui

el820

My wife & I will be cruising the Hawaiian islands in Sept 2007 aboard the POA. We would really like to experience a laua during our overnight stay in Maui. Can someone share some of their luau experiences and recommend a good laua in Maui?

Do we typically have to make our own transportation arrangements or does the hotel provide pickup & dropoff service?

Thanks in advance.

For a couple, by far the Feast At LeLe!!! No comparison to the other mass produced, mass attended luaus. The most intimate and most romantic of all the Maui luaus. Also the most expensive. But, you certainly get what you pay for in this instance.

I can't recommend this one enough.

Unless you go on the ship sponsored luau you will have to arange your transportation to and from a Maui luau. I recommend renting a car, that is what we did, but there has been some discussion about a shuttle service that might be arranged. Do an advance search on this board for information about that Maui shuttle service. With a two year old I HEARTILY recommend the Kaanapali (also known as Royal Lahiana) Luau. We had a FANTASTIC time there last June! They let the children come up on stage to learn the hula plus they even have a special section of the luau buffet just for children! The setting is gorgeous 0- right next to Kaanapali Beach with the sun setting over the water AND they have a fire dance finale that is really great the OLL does not have this.) On the web site below children can get in free with a paid adult admission and it is so much less expensive, and child friendly, than the OLL. By the way, it IS worthit to pay the extra $15. to get in an hour early and sit right by the stage.) It is a bargain on this web site any way.

http://www.mauihawaiiluau.com/kaanapalibeachluau.html

Aloha. Here are a couple of links to recent/current detailed threads about Maui luaus. As you can imagine, the subject comes up often, so there's usually some excellent information at hand. (I did an advanced search for "maui luau" going back 3 months. Never use the "general" search option because it is just too broad and often results in the "white screen of doom.")

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=588614&highlight=maui+luau

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=575070&highlight=maui+luau

Quick note: Feast at Lele is not appropriate for a 2 y/o; Royal Lahaina has a kid's buffet and is cost-effective for families; OLL is often rated the best in Hawaii and is good for adults and kids. Also, no the luaus (whether hotel-related or independent) do not offer transportation to/from Kahului because it's a 45 minute to 1 hour drive one way and is not cost-effective in terms of time, personnel, and fuel. You will need to arrange a rental car (cost effective and gives you flexibility), shuttle (I've heard about $40 p/p, but I have no details and there may be more options these days), or taxi (costs well over $100 r/t).

beachchick

Thanks everyone.

It looks like we'll be doing the luau after our cruise when we get back to Honolulu. It looks like our schedule might be too tight in Maui as we want to do the Haleakala sunrise.

• Administrators
In that case, I certainly do NOT recommend Feast At LeLe. It's the one that's would be the least recommended for kids, in my opinion.

Okay between this reply and Beachchick's, and since we will be returning to Maui at some point for a land vacation... why not? :) Enquiring minds want to know!

Okay between this reply and Beachchick's, and since we will be returning to Maui at some point for a land vacation... why not? :) Enquiring minds want to know!

Quite simply because it's expensive and not designed with young children in mind. It's a more "formal" sit down event with no room for youngsters to get up and run around or be "loud" (as kids can be). The menu is quite "adult" palate oriented with each course served individually with no listed children's menu at all. The entertainment (representative of the various Polynesian islands) is interspersed between the courses. It's definitely a more romantic and refined event. Certainly families do attend, but I wouldn't bring a child younger than 10 or 12 (depending on the particular child; our DD would have loved it at 10, but some of her friends would have been bored and would have hated the menu). I believe it would be a waste of money (even the discounted children's ticket is $75) to bring a very young child to Feast at Lele, and it would likely not be as enjoyable for the parents.

The Royal Lahaina Luau has a kid-specific buffet with activities for everyone and is more casual. The OLL has something for everyone. For adults only (especially couples), I'd book Feast at Lele with OLL as an excellent second choice; for families with kids, I'd suggest Royal Lahaina, closely followed by OLL; for families with older kids or anyone who wants a laid back Hawaiian luau, I'd suggest OLL (no fire dancers though because OLL is strictly Hawaiian).

Here's the link for Feast at Lele:

http://www.feastatlele.com/

beachchick

Archived