Should I bring my 5yo to dinner?

radiata

Most definately!!! Bring you kids to dinner in the dining room! I plan too!!! Unless of course they decide they'd rather eat at the Lido Buffet and then go to CC!

Here is a recent poll I took about which times most people prefered and what they think of kids in the dining room.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=593213

DH & I ate at the late seating last time (w/o kids) and are unsure of which time we will (try to) choose for next time...:confused: We are used to eating later (as well as the kids, to, are used to eating later) espically on the weekends when we go out to eat with friends (who of course don't have kids) :rolleyes: But, none the less, we may still choose to take the late dining and if the kids would rather go to CC, then we can just take them to the Lido buffet before CC, and then we'll head off to dinner....:cool:

I just don't know. We really liked the later seating becase it gave us time to clean up & even take a little nap after the port days...Which is a great thing for little kids...but....WHO Knows??? Which ever time is the best for you and your family is GREAT!!!!!

We cruise next week on Ecstasy and have early seating. Planning on bringing our 5, 7, and 8 yr. olds to dining room. They are well mannered and used to "nice" restaurant dining so they know how to act. Besides, if they decide to act out there is always the dreaded question from daddy of , "Do we need to visit the bathroom?" :eek:

Relax and enjoy. It sounds like you are being considerate of your fellow diners and that is all that matters.

We cruise next week on Ecstasy and have early seating. Planning on bringing our 5, 7, and 8 yr. olds to dining room. They are well mannered and used to "nice" restaurant dining so they know how to act. Besides, if they decide to act out there is always the dreaded question from daddy of , "Do we need to visit the bathroom?" :eek:

quote]

ROFL!!!:D :D When my now 16yo dd was about 4, we were at a walmart, along with my other kids, who were 6 and 8 at the time. I was trying to check out and they were standing away from me, being loud, well, being kids! I had already warned them twice to keep it down a notch, but then my youngest would not listen to me. I payed, pushed my cart over to where they were, and leaned down to the youngest and said, "Do you know your name? DO YOU know your name?" About that time, a walmart employee walked by and said, "Oh, is she lost?" :o :eek: She thought this poor little girl was lost and that i was asking her what her name was!! I about DIED!! My kids, to this day, LOVE that story!!:D

If you do take a young child to the table please make sure that you request to be sitting with another family. I have been assigned a table with young children before, and some of the days were just fine. However, a few of the days some of the kids had huge fits, and although I know that is the way it is, I am also here on vacation WITHOUT kids and I dont want to have to deal with someone elses child screaming and crying during my trip. I dont want to sound mean, but if you do bring a young one, please make sure that if you are sitting with people without kids you keep them in line, and if they misbehave take them back to your room. Thanks!

This may be a stupid question, but do people bring their small children to the dining room for dinner? This is my 4th cruise but first with the kiddo and until now we have always had late seating and I don't recall seeing too many children in the dining room. I guess they have childrens menus available as well? Do they usually sit you with other families with smaller children? Thanks in advance.

Kyle

Please don't...a cruise is no place for a child under 12 anyway.

Please don't...a cruise is no place for a child under 12 anyway.

Are you kidding??:eek: Of course they belong! The OP didn't ask whether or not kids BELONG on cruises, but if it is appropriate for 5 year olds in the dining room, which I believe most people think is ok! And to think i was going to compliment you on your cute avatar! I notice you have a cruise booked-you DO realize there will be kids on the cruise, right? You have a right to your opinion, of course, but to flat out say that kids under age 12 don't even belong on cruises is not right, and is off topic! Should not have even responded to this, my apologies!!

By all means, bring your daughter. It's nice to hear she wants to dress up for dinner...the dress code is meant for children too.

On our Pride cruise we sat across from a family of five at the late seating. The kids were really well behaved but at least one of them fell asleep at the table each night...it was cute to watch. By the way there were very well dressed too.

Payd:)

A sit down dining room is no place for a 5 year old. Wether on a cruise, a wedding reception...period.

As for being on a cruise at all; annoying children running on deck, spilling beverages and swarming the public areas...not my idea of whom I wish to share a cruise with.

This is why Legoland and Disney World exist.

A sit down dining room is no place for a 5 year old. Wether on a cruise, a wedding reception...period.

As for being on a cruise at all; annoying children running on deck, spilling beverages and swarming the public areas...not my idea of whom I wish to share a cruise with.

This is why Legoland and Disney World exist.

Too funny!!! Gee, you forgot they are, well-CHILDISH!!:D :D I hope you have a table by yourself, because here is a little secret-ADULTS sometimes run on deck, spill drinks, and swarm the public areas as well!! ;)

We take ours to the dining room. They started when they were 6 and 8. They loved it and always order from the adult menu. I agree with much of the sentiment to booking the 5:45 or 6:15 seating. It's tough for young children to wait it out to the late seatings.

For us, it's great family time. On our next cruise, the kids will do one dinner with Camp Carnival (it won't be lobster night :D) so my wife and I can get a nice quiet dinner alone and maybe at Harry's Supper Club.

Too funny!!! Gee, you forgot they are, well-CHILDISH!!:D :D I hope you have a table by yourself, because here is a little secret-ADULTS sometimes run on deck, spill drinks, and swarm the public areas as well!! ;)

don't take this guy's bait. we don't need a flame war on here that will take away form OP's question.

One thing that I would consider is that if your child is the type who is used to getting out of their chair and playing on the floor, running around the table or wandering around in restaurants during mealtimes that this could pose a significant danger to your child, fellow passengers and the crew. I see this frequently when we go out to eat and it always makes me cringe but many parents allow it and seem oblivious to it.

No, I really wish to have a table with people who understand we don't need a bratty kid's antics.

don't take this guy's bait. we don't need a flame war on here that will take away form OP's question.

Oh, I don't plan on responding to anything else he has to say!:D You are right, of course, and my apologies to the OP for even responding to the guy!:) :o

I think only you can answer this question. If your 5 year old can sit through a long meal & behave, then sure! Bring the little person to dinner. If your 5 year old can't make it through a meal at a resturant without squirming, whining or wanting to get out of their chair, then don't ruin your experience or others. I think each kid is unique & their tolerance level is different. Two of my friends have 9 year old boys. One would be fine in the dining room & be a pleasure to dine with. The other would whine & squirm the whole time & I'd be wanting to smack him by the end. So you know your child best. I would suggest the early seating, especially if you're accustomed to eating early.

On our Pride cruise we sat across from a family of five at the late seating. The kids were really well behaved but at least one of them fell asleep at the table each night...it was cute to watch. Payd:)

This is exactly what my 2 kids do if we are out at a resteraunt and stay to talk to eat dessert and drink coffee....The wiat staff is always SO amazed that they can sleep anywhere....;)

Take your daughter to the dining room. Since you were considerate enough to ask for opinions, I'm sure you will handle anything that arises appropriately. Have a wonderful time introducing your daughter to one of the many pleasures of cruising. Just remember- you are initiating another cruise addict :D -don't forget to tell her about cruise critic when the time is right!!!!

Relax and enjoy. It sounds like you are being considerate of your fellow diners and that is all that matters.

OMG how funny!!! That is exactly the threat I used on my DD all of her childhood. She always quieted down and answered with a sheepish "no mommy"

She is now 24 and a very successfull banker. She asked me what would have happened if she didn't behave and we actually had to "visit the bathroom". I told her the truth...I had no idea.

I had complete faith that my stern look, deep voice, and tooth gritting snarl would work.

Thank goodness.:D

I prefer to handcuff my children to the 24 hr pizza station while I enjoy my dinner.

Dang! Wish I'd thought of that! :D

To the OP: It's not just that late dinner starts late, it also ends late. Is your little one used to sitting at the table far into the night?

We took our triplet 5 year olds on a cruise in September (RCCL) and we had the early dinner. They did great. We even had comments made to us on how well behaved they were. However, I do know think that we would have had the same luck at the later seating.

We are going on another cruise in November, this time on Carnival, and again I chose the early seating.

Having 3 5year olds I can stongly recommend that you change your seating to the earlier dinner.

my son (to early sitting) since he was in a carrier.

However nowadys that he is almost six it is much easier to just bring the ole PSP with us and turn the volume down to -0-.

You can hit him over the head with a turkey leg and he would NOT notice.

Archived