buying alcohol in st. thomas

referee

If by chance you are flying out of San Juan, wait till you get into that airport.

They have a duty free shop right there and you can buy .............not sure exactly how many, but we bought 2 and saw lots of airline pilots getting 4 and six bottles of booze and the prices were excellent.

They package it in a special (and cute) durable bag with a handle and you CAN carry that as carry on.

Everything you buy in St Thomas and other ports must be packed in your checked luggage.

good point. thanks. will try that.

If by chance you are flying out of San Juan, wait till you get into that airport.

They have a duty free shop right there and you can buy .............not sure exactly how many, but we bought 2 and saw lots of airline pilots getting 4 and six bottles of booze and the prices were excellent.

They package it in a special (and cute) durable bag with a handle and you CAN carry that as carry on.

Everything you buy in St Thomas and other ports must be packed in your checked luggage.

Makes sense, since you purchase the liquor AFTER going through TSA. I will have to remember that.

Vawoods, did you notice whether they have Sheridan's at the airport in San Juan? I have purchased it in St. Thomas before and was planning to do that again since it was cheaper than on the ship. But, if I could get it in the San Juan airport and carry it on the plane, that would be easier.

No, I'm sorry, I didn't notice. I know they had a lot of the name brands, but I'm not a liquor drinker, so don't even know what Sheridan's is, but the had all major/top shelf brands...........(learned that term from my SIL, who drinks, LOL)

Susan

Vawoods, did you notice whether they have Sheridan's at the airport in San Juan? I have purchased it in St. Thomas before and was planning to do that again since it was cheaper than on the ship. But, if I could get it in the San Juan airport and carry it on the plane, that would be easier.

If your cruise also goes to St. Maarten, the liquor is cheaper there. They sell Absolut for next to nothing a litre. I haven't found anything like Sheridan's or Lemoncello or some of the non-standards, but for vodka, you can't beat the prices.

There is also the island special guavaberry. I wish the cruises went to St. Maarten first, then to STT. All ours have been the opposite. Enjoy.

Like other posters, I highly recommend shopping for your purchases at AH Riise...either at Havensight or in Charlotte Amalie. The "pros" far outweigh the buck or 2 one may save at a lesser retailer. I can't believe that any other store has the selection that they do. Additionally, the staff is highly knowledgeable and very helpful. And, of course, the added benefit of them packing up your purchases & sending them to your ship at no charge to you.

We tend to purchase the really specialty or high-end items there, those that we wouldn't ordinarily purchase at our local liquor store...such as 100-yr old Grand Marnier and E&E Shiraz. They have a terrific selection, no joke.

Chris

Like other posters, I highly recommend shopping for your purchases at AH Riise...either at Havensight or in Charlotte Amalie. The "pros" far outweigh the buck or 2 one may save at a lesser retailer. I can't believe that any other store has the selection that they do. Additionally, the staff is highly knowledgeable and very helpful. And, of course, the added benefit of them packing up your purchases & sending them to your ship at no charge to you.

We tend to purchase the really specialty or high-end items there, those that we wouldn't ordinarily purchase at our local liquor store...such as 100-yr old Grand Marnier and E&E Shiraz. They have a terrific selection, no joke.

Chris

Chris

Totally agree....Totally worth it to spend the extra dollar or two to have Riise pack it up and deliver it to the ship. We brought 12 bottles and there was no way we could have carried those heavy boxes around with us.

The selection was outstanding and the staff was quite helpful.

• 2 years later...

Thanks everyone for the advice, always trying to save a buck, but didn't think about trying to carry it back. I agree that it's worth a little extra to just have it arrive the night before we go home, much easier (my hubby will love you guys for this one)! We haven't purchased any alcohol the last couple of trips b/c we were flying, but we are driving to Pt.Canaveral for the Dream in Dec. and will buy our allowances to share for New Year's Eve! I have to get some more Sheridan's and Amarula, haven't been able to fine either at home. YUM!

We were in St Thomas a couple of weeks ago and went to A. H. Rise where we have purchased liquor before. I was looking for a navy rum by Cruzan that I had purchased before from them. I found it but instead of the $6.95 a bottle I had paid about a year ago it was now priced at $10.95. I questioned this with the clerk and she said it was because Cruzan had changed the botttle and raised the price. Because I was on a Disney cruise and would have to carry the bottles back to the ship and the A. H. Rise store is one of the closest to the dock at Havensight I went ahead and got my bottles and carried them back to the ship.

I then went back ashore to check out some of the other stores. I ended up finding the same rum for $8.95 a bottle at a different store but it was a lot further away from the ship. I got the store to write a note verifying their price and took it back to A. H. Rise store to question their price.

I was told by the "manager" that they NO longer match prices with other stores or with the cruise ships. He said they used to have a sign that said they would match prices but that they had taken it down.

Anyway I was at an ABC liquor store here in Orlando today and saw the Cruzan Navy Rum in the new more expensive bottle priced at $2.00 less than it used to be here in Orlando, $16.95. So I did save about $6 a bottle but I saved over $15 a bottle on Meyer's Dark rum that was priced at $12.95 in all the liquor stores I checked in Havensight area.

Anyway I NO longer recommend going to A. H. Rise expecting they will have the best prices. Shop around and you may find some bargains in some of the other liquor stores in the area. By the way there are at least 8 to 10 places now selling liquor to cruise ship passengers at Havensight.

Have a great next cruise.

• 1 month later...

I'm surprised this post dropped this low in the St Thomas board but I decided to bring it back into focus.

Once again I will recommend you check prices before you buy in St Thomas. A. H. Rise, which I have recommended for years may not have the lowest price and will not meet lower prices even if you show them the receipt.

Have a great next cruise but be careful where you buy your liquor.

Archived