Trip report HAL Cruisetour #10

martylup

We were on Cruisetour #10 and had a great time; here are some of the details

Pre -cruisetour - We flew into Anchorage on a Saturday afternoon, two days before the start of our cruisetour. Stayed at the Comfort Inn - Ships Creek. Good location - rented a car and drove on HWY 1 to Seward for a 9 hour cruise on Major Marine. Weather was great. Saw Dal Sheep on the way on a cliff only 10 feet up right off the highway. On the cruise saw 2 pods of Orca, harbor seals, puffins and other seabirds with their nests. Drove back to Anchorage same night -would have preferred to stay in Seward and drive back the next morning.

Cruisetour- Our tour had 2 nights in Denali, 2 nights in Fairbanks, 1 night in Beaver Creek & 2 nights in Whitehorse than White pass RR to Skagway where we picked-up our cruise ship. Had excellent weather. In Denali the mountain was out! On the Tundra Wilderness Tour (part of our package) we saw Grizzly Bears (8 sightings including mom & 3 cubs twice), wolf (walked right by the bus), Golden Eagle (soared right over the bus), Moose, caribou, & the Mountain. While at Denali went on a white-water rafting ride with Denali Outdoor Center which was very good. Also did the Jet boat excursion which I would recommend skipping! Fairbanks was somewhat disappointing as the downtown is run down but enjoyed the excursions (Gold Dredge #9, Ester Gold Camp & River boat cruise). Beaver Creek is not worth it and is really only a stopover to Whitehorse (Yukon). Hotel/Show & dinner Buffet all could be skipped. Whitehorse was nice. Although in retrospect might have preferred Tok/Dawson City as destinations. In Skagway took the Jet-Boat Wilderness Excursion which was fun (saw about 10 Bald Eagles but missed moose on our boat). Loved the Whitepass RR.

Cruise - Had a stateroom with a Veranda which was very nice. Food could have been better (especially the deserts). It was a nice relaxing finish to a cruisetour. Had a great time with great weather, especially Glacier Bay.

Post Cruise- Used Express Signature Baggage so we didn't have to lug our baggage around. This was really worth it! It allowed us to board a hop-on/hop-off trolley for a 2 hour guided tour of Vancouver before catching the shuttle bus to the airport.

This is good info. We are headed out in less than 2 weeks for a Cruisetour and will also be in Denali for 2 days. We booked the Jet boat excursion and I wondered if you could give a little more detail on why you recommend skipping it.

thanks -

cindy

On the Jet Boat we really ddin't have the opportunity to look for any wildlife or the sights just went directly to the landing where a guy spent most of the time talking about the skins of trapped or hunted animals, not really my thing, plus panning for gold, something done better in other tours. Both my wife and I thought it was not worth the time or money.

Other excursions to avoid at Denali- the ATV & Jeep excursions. They are not in the park and not worth it.

I would definitely go with the white-water rafting though. Cabin Night was fun and worth it.

Also on HAL Cruisetour 10 in Whitehorse/Yukon I would avoid the River Float - it takes you right back to a location you just passed on the bus from Beaver Creek to Whitehorse so you see the same sights.

In Skagway we did like the Jet Boat excursion- you spent the whole time looking for Wildlife or traveling on a scenic river with lots of bends.

Marty

This is good info. We are headed out in less than 2 weeks for a Cruisetour and will also be in Denali for 2 days. We booked the Jet boat excursion and I wondered if you could give a little more detail on why you recommend skipping it.

thanks -

cindy

No this isn't for wildlife. If wildlife is your priority, and you have 2 days, then consider getting on a SHUTTLE bus to at least Fish Creek. The best bargain around for wildlife viewing opportunity. Be certain to bring binoculars, at least 10 power is definately my preference.

I know that if you recommend this, it must be good. I checked out the schedule on the Denali website and wondered if I need to make reservations or if we can just catch a shuttle when we're there.

Thanks -

cindy

You definately need reservations. Very chancy to consider walk up space. details http://www.nps.gov/dena

I would suggest, you contact your loding directly and fnd out what hotel shuttle availability and hours, to the ACCESS Center- where you get the Park Shuttle bus, First.

If you are on a HAL Cruisetour you most likely have the Tundra Wilderness tour as part of your package (we did). That's a 6-9 hour bus tour into Denali on a coverted school bus operated by Aramak. They have drop down screens and a camera with a zoom operated by the driver guide. The lenght of the tour depends upon what you see. We were really lucky and our driver took us 10 miles further into the park because the mountain was out (for only the 5th time this year while she was driving) so our tour was close to 9 hours (most of us wouldn't have wanted any longer). We saw grizzsly, golden eagle, wolf moose & caribou. By the end when we saw something she would stop the bus and ask if anyone wanted to stay and look at the wildlife any longer. After 8+ hours we were all cooked and ready to get back to the hotel.

In Denali you should also visit the visiting center (free) see the dog sled exibition (again free) and if you are up to it you can ride the bus that goes through the park (without the camera & guided talk and get off and do a little hiking. Again (free). Also in rertrospect I would have been happy in the bar at the lounge with the view of the river and park for a few drinks(hours)LOL.

Marty

Marty -

Thanks for the suggestions for the free sights. I hadn't heard of the dog sled exhibition and I'd like to see that. We just picked up the detailed itinerary for the land tour (along with the rest of the cruise documents) and found out that we're on the Tundra Wilderness Tour for a lot longer than I had realized. I hope we have your luck with all the wildlife sightings.

I must tell you that we'll be ready for the bar overlooking the river. Right now, that sounds like the best idea yet. There's a lot to be said for just sitting back and watching a river flow.

cindy

Marty -

Thanks for the suggestions for the free sights. I hadn't heard of the dog sled exhibition and I'd like to see that. We just picked up the detailed itinerary for the land tour (along with the rest of the cruise documents) and found out that we're on the Tundra Wilderness Tour for a lot longer than I had realized. I hope we have your luck with all the wildlife sightings.

I must tell you that we'll be ready for the bar overlooking the river. Right now, that sounds like the best idea yet. There's a lot to be said for just sitting back and watching a river flow.

cindy

Thanks a lot for the good advice.

if you are up to it you can ride the bus that goes through the park (without the camera & guided talk and get off and do a little hiking. Again (free).

This is not true, except for the Savage River bus, which goes the public road distance 17 miles. ALL other shuttle buses INTO the park have a fee. http://www.nps.gov/dena

Also I don't think all the TOUR buses have the camera?? Hopefully Murray can update this??

Sorry if I may have given some miss- information on the buses. The Bus to the Visitor Center is free as is the bus to the dog sled exhibition. I think Budget Queen is right about the fees for the other buses. If you are on a 2 night cruise tour to Denali most likely the Tundra Wilderness Tour is included. I know the bus we were on had the camera and screens I can't speak to if they all do but I would think that the ones used for the Tundra Wilderness tours would have it. Frankly after being on the Tundra Wilderness Tour I don't think you would want to duplicate that and spend more time on a bus if you can help it. :D

Marty

Archived