? re Mobal cell phone and Cellular at Sea

Sheal

Hi There,

We are sailing on a transatlantic on-board and will need reliable access to a phone.

Has anyone with a Mobal cell phone used it while on-board? Did it work and were there any additional charges, other than the expected call charge?

I have used my Cingular phone while in Bermuda through the Cellular at Sea but I am not sure if the Mobal phone would work. I am under the impression that your phone must match the service provider.

We are considering the purchase of this phone as it seems more convenient than taking the chance that my Cingular phone not working during this 2+ week trip.

Please advise,

Sheal

I have a Mobal phone and on my last transatlantic it did not work while at sea, but my Sprint US only phone did, we were in the middle of the atlantic and used it to see if it worked and it worked great. I don't know what the charges were only stayed on for a minute to check on my daughter in Florida. Mobal works great in Europe, clean sounds, and I like the fact that when I came back to the states I put it away and will pull it out again when going back to Europe in November.

Hope this helps!

Hi There,

We are sailing on a transatlantic on-board and will need reliable access to a phone.

Has anyone with a Mobal cell phone used it while on-board? Did it work and were there any additional charges, other than the expected call charge?

I have used my Cingular phone while in Bermuda through the Cellular at Sea but I am not sure if the Mobal phone would work. I am under the impression that your phone must match the service provider.

We are considering the purchase of this phone as it seems more convenient than taking the chance that my Cingular phone not working during this 2+ week trip.

Please advise,

Sheal

Mobal MAY work with the "at sea" services. Some calls use a Vodafone interface, some calls use Orange UK and some calls are strictly on the Mobal/partners network. Depending on which interface, you MAY be able to use your Mobal phone. And you will not know until you try to make a call. It truly depends on your location. Vodafone and Orange UK have billing agreements with WMS (Cellular at Sea).

The charges are ASTRONOMICAL. I received two business calls, less than 5 minutes each, while we were on the Infinity. Total bill through Mobal/cruise ship-$94.00. I LOVE my Mobal phones and I used them all over the world. But with those charges for using them on the ship, my satellite phones are cheaper.

Your Cingular phone should work just fine, as long as you sign up for international roaming.

Get the Mobal phone for LAND based calls. They work absolutely everywhere, including the middle of the Mekong River in Vietnam. I was astounded at the clarity. Called lots of people just to say "Good Morning, Vietnam".

Archived