drew sailbum

runner15km

he posted on http://www.scubadiving.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=48112

On the drive out to East End I saw several places where the sea had breached and washed sand and rock onto the road. The Savannah gully flooded where it always does and that had traffic backed up for a couple miles coming the other direction into George Town.

The Gun Bay public dock is gone. Reports are that the new dock at Morritt's sustained some damage to the dock shop and an estimated 10% of the planking is out, but the concrete structure was unaffected. I couldn't see well enough to know about the dock at Ocean Frontiers.

Electricity is back on in East End. So is my wireless broadband internet so even the transmitter on the roof fared well. We still don't have water, but soon come.

All considered, GC dodged a bullet. Our prayers are with those around Chetumal and Ambergris Caye where it looks like Dean is coming ashore now.

Not much to add to that.

I took a look at the dock at Ocean Frontiers... it's pretty well smashed up.

The west side of the island was in the lee of the winds and fairly calm for most of the storm... until today. Heavy waves were sending spray at Burger King all the way to North Church Street. I didn't look, but I'd guess that those waves probably damaged the dock at Lobster Pot.

The water is back on at home.

The island had some mild damage in a few spots, but nothing serious. We are thankful and mindful that things could have been very much worse.

Archived