NCL POAm Hawaii Itinerary - Comments Welcome

peabody58

Well, DW and I have finalized our itinerary for our 25th wedding anniversay cruise. Yes - I got the Anniversay Package!

We split shore excursions between Roberts (much cheaper), NCL, AirVenture (highly recommended) and Thrifty Car Rental (Maui day tripping).

We still have time to 'tweak' our plans, so any comments would be welcome.

Thursday 10/4 Honolulu (Oahu)

2:30 PM Arrive Honolulu – NCL Shuttle to Hotel.

3:30 PM Check into Waikiki Beach Marriott Resort

Friday 10/5 Honolulu (Oahu)

6 AM – 11:30 AM Pearl Harbor & HonoluluCity Roberts

5 PM Ali’I Kai Catameran Dinner Cruise Roberts

Saturday 10/6 Honolulu (Oahu) --- / 8 PM

11 AM Check out Hotel – Transfer to ship. FREE DAY to enjoy beach in morning, kick back.

2 PM Check into ship

Sunday 10/7 Hilo (Hawaii) 8 AM / 6 PM

10 AM – 2:45 PM VolcanoesNational Park Roberts

6:15 Ship passes by Kilauea Volcano (Hawaii)

Monday 10/8 Kahului (Maui)[1] 8 AM / ---

8:30 AM – 6:30 PM Thrifty Car Rental Day Trip the island as we want!!

7:30 PM – 9:30 PM Tony N' Tina's Wedding (On ship - dinner) NCL

Tuesday 10/9 Kahului (Maui)[2] --- / 6 PM

8:30 AM – 2:30 PM Molokini Crater Snorkel Roberts

Wednesday 10/10 Kona (Hawaii) 7 AM / 6 PM

8 AM – 12:15 PM Dolphin Snorkel Catamaran Sail NCL

3:30 PM – 4:30 PM Glass Bottom Boat NCL

7 PM Anniversary Dinner at Le Bistro

Thursday 10/11 Nawiliwili (Kauai)[1] 8 AM / ---

10:30 AM – 12:30 PM Air Venture 1 hour Plane Tour

4:15 PM – 9:30 PM Kalamaku Show NCL

Friday 10/12 Nawiliwili (Kauai)[2] --- / 2 PM

8:30 AM – 12:15 PM Wailua River & Fern Grotto Roberts

Saturday 10/13 Honolulu (Oahu) 7 AM

9:45 PM – 7PM Grand Circle Island Tour NCL

10:15 PM Flight leaves

Looks good.

You may not see the volcano in the evening when you leave Hilo. Unfortunately, we were not able to see it last week.

Also, when you go to the luau, depending upon where you sit (they place you...you don't really have a choice), it may take you an hour and a half to get out of there.

As the luau ends, stand up at the outer part of the dining room and make your way quickly to the buses. We got out of there on one of the first buses. There were people who sat at the table with us who didn't get back to the ship until and hour and a half later.

What are the shore excursions by Roberts? Can you post a site? Thanks

Suzila - Thanks for the tips so far - good juju! :rolleyes:

Roberts Home site:

http://www.robertshawaii.com/

Roberts Site excusively for Cruise Ship Shore Excursions (including pre/post cruise stays): [NOTE - on-line reservations were a bit confusing at first, but I finally figured it out.]

http://www.gorabbitgo.com/

Air Venture Website (Kauai):

http://www.airventureshawaii.com/index.html

PS - I got allthese great tips/links from other CC blogs. This site is great!

We just returned from PoAm and did our excursions with Roberts and I have to highly recommend them. We did the same itinerary as Polynesian Adventure Tours (the one NCL uses) but at a greatly reduced rate.

We did the Pearl Harbor/Honolulu City tour: the Pearl Harbor portion was outstanding, the city portion consisted of riding past monuments and sites and being told about them. It was informative but would have been nicer if we'd been able to get out and see them but time didn't permit.

The Volcanoes National Park tour was fantastic. The tour guide was a blast.

I was disappointed in the Wailua River/Fern Grotto tour and wouldn't recommend it. We were taken to a river shuttle to the grotto and stood on a platform to look at the exterior; we couldn't go in because it's become hazardous due to rains. Then we traipsed back to the shuttle and left. That was it.

If you could fit in it and haven't been there already, I would HIGHLY recommend going to the Polynesian Cultural Center on O'ahu. It was my favourite part of the trip. We booked it through their web site and they arranged transportation and everything—with the most magnificent tour guide I've ever encountered.

Your itinerary looks excellent. We were on the cruise in June and I think your choices are quite good. The only tweaking I would consider are whether you would want to see Waimea Canyon rather than Fern Grotto. We thought Waimea Canyon was gorgeous and definitely unique while I think Fern Grotto gets mixed reviews. We rented a car the first day, drove to Waimea Canyon and then went directly there by car to the luau (so we didn't have to wait for the buses to leave- we dropped the car off after the luau). There is also an NCL version of this I'm sure, but the one day car rental is less expensive. We did our air tour the next day (we used Air Kauai, a helicopter, rather than a plane). Of course, you will see Waimea Canyon from the plane, so if you want to stick with your original plan, it will be just great too, but you have a big gap on the first day when you might be seeing beautiful Kauai.

• Administrators

I like your itinerary! I agree with the above posters about Fern Grotto -- we did it as part of a day of sightseeing/beaching on Kauai, and enjoyed it (it's not just a boat trip to see the grotto, there is live entertainment with hulas, stories, etc), but it wasn't among our top ten highlights. Waimea Canyon, however, was.

I would also add that, depending on just how interested you are in Volcanoes National Park, you might consider renting a car and touring it on your own on your Hilo day. I love Roberts, we used them on Oahu and were very pleased, but given how fascinated we were with the whole subject of VNP I'd have been sadly disappointed to be on a big bus spending about 3 hours total (the trip to/from VNP is 45-60 min. each way) just seeing a few highlights. Having our rental car let us move at our own pace, take the short hikes we chose, see places like Jagger Observatory and Chain of Craters Road, etc. Check out the website at http://www.nps.gov/havo/ for more information on just what the park offers. I'm a big one for boosting VNP; it was our top priority for our Hawaii trip, as we don't have volcanoes here at home, and the wonderful day we spent there is not only in our top ten, it's our number one highlight!

Have a marvelous 25th celebration -- and good for you booking the anniversary package -- well worth it! :)

I also found going to Waimau Canyon with a rental car FAR SUPERIOR. The tour, only had ONE stop for viewing, at a VERY congested area- extremely nice views, But on a time schedule. I was able to go farther, and do more scenic stops. Would also have time for some short hiking if of interest. At about $35/day for a car, this is a FAR better deal compared to being loaded on a bus and stuck on an expensive lacking tour.

For once, an itinerary that looks do-able. Many people try to cram too much in for their "once in a lifetime trip" lol. The only thing I think could be a problem is in Kona doing the glass bottom boat that late. If you booked it thru NCL (looks like you did) then you should be fine cuz they won't leave without you, but it seems to me last tender is at like 4 or 4:30 so you are pushing it. JMO

Good luck and it sounds like you will have an awesome anniversary.

Yukon111: You're right. It's so nice to see an itinerary where I don't feel compelled to give my infamous "nag" about overdoing it.

peabody58: Looks good. The only thing I would change (and keep in mind this is personal preference) is your second Kauai day. We think Waimea Canyon is far more of a "must do" then the river and fern grotto. Even if you've seen the Grand Canyon, Waimea is worth the effort. They are completely different experiences. The glass bottom boat at Kona may not be a must do as you'll already have been out sailing and snorkeling that day. It just depends on how much it truly interests you.

Enjoy!

beachchick

Your itinerary looks great. I only have one suggestion for the Molokini Crater Snorkel. Take the excursion that includes the turtle arches after the Molokini Crater. That was my favorite part of the whole trip. Its not every day you get to swim with sea turtles.

Amy

Your itinerary looks great. I only have one suggestion for the Molokini Crater Snorkel. Take the excursion that includes the turtle arches after the Molokini Crater. That was my favorite part of the whole trip. Its not every day you get to swim with sea turtles.

Amy

AMEN! I had more fun swimming with the turtles (only saw one up close) than I did at Molokini. Visibility at Molokini was much better and you could see a lot but there wasn't much coral IMO and the fish were not spectacular. Plus to see the coral closely, you had to be near the shore and the waves tended to send you into the coral which would hurt a lot if you scraped it. One kid was scraped pretty badly. At the second stop, there was a lot of coral to swim around and get up close to without worrying about current so much. Visibility wasn't real clear but it was still a blast.

A few notes. There are several places along the south coast called "Turtle Arches" or "Turtle Town" or similar. They're basically names made up by the excursion companies (and perhaps the locals) of various areas where turtles congregate and hang out.

I agree that swimming with the turtles is very, very cool. A few of the excursions go to their turtle spot first, rather than after Molokini. In all cases, whether they do the turtle snorkel (or even Molokini) depends entirely on ocean conditions. Most times, no problem with hitting the turtle spots, but sometimes, not so much.

Also, there is no "shore" at Molokini, but the wave action pushing up against the crater wall can be fierce! Most good companies warn you not to swim right up to the wall. It is a shame in a way because there is so much good coral there. The only other way to get up close and personal with the coral at Molokini is to dive down (I don't mean scuba, I mean grab a breath and push down to the floor while snorkeling). Not everyone can do that.

As an FYI for anyone who doesn't know, coral is living organisms. Standing on it, hitting it, or even touching it damages and can kill it. So, "up close" is fine, but not actual contact. As well, because it's living and has all kinds of "stuff" attached to it, a coral cut can be one of the worst cuts you can get. If you do accidently get bumped up against coral (which can happen in shallower water), make sure to clean any cuts or scratches thoroughly, put on antibiotic ointment and bandaids, and watch it closely for infection. If you start to get an infection, get yourself to a doctor. It's not an infection to ignore. Small cuts and scrapes can almost always be managed without problems.

Molokini can be fair to very good depending on the time of year, time of day, and overall ocean conditions. Of course, that's true pretty much anywhere in the islands.

Enjoy swimming with the fishes and the turtles!:D

beachchick

Thank you all so far for your insights and feedback. So far we haven't decided to change anything, but you do have us reassessing the Wailua River & Fern Grotto.

One thing we factored into our plans was our 'recovery' time between late nights, early mornings and exhausting excursions. Sometimes that meant booking certain excurions based on times as well as ability to get back to the ship.

Archived