Other tour companies in Panama

EricaLovesCats

Hello,

I have been digging through this thread and the only local tour company I see info on is MyFriendMario. Are they any other companies in Panama? Nothing against MFM, but I would think that if they are the only company cruise people are using then it would be just as crowded as a ship excursion!!! Just wanting to see if there are anyother companies out there.

Thanks,

I hope that you get some responses, but I wouldn't hold your breath. I asked about the taxi fare to the locks from the pier and I did not receive a single response, which leads me to assume that everyone who visits CC and panama either use MFM or the ship's excursion.

• 3 weeks later...
Hmmm I am thinking you are right.....it means MFM have a monopoly going....lol.....maybe I'll start a tour company in Panama.

Where do I sign up? Do you serve champagne in your limo on the private tour? Do you have mosquito hats for the times when we might step outside of your air-conditioned limo?

:D

Most of the cruiselines enter Gatun Lake and then tender people off the ship to pick up excursions. Of those cruiselines, most of those only allow people to tender off the ship if they are on a cruiseline excursion.

So unlike other ports, there just hasn't been that much demand for private excursions for independent tour companies to pop up.

With Carnival though stopping in Colon more frequently and RCCL getting ready to homeport a ship in Colon, you probably could do a booming business if you started your tour company now and got in ahead of the game.:p ;)

• 3 weeks later...
Hmmm I am thinking you are right.....it means MFM have a monopoly going....lol.....maybe I'll start a tour company in Panama.

Count us in!

Yikes, I've been searching all over for Panama tour companies.

Our 12/8 cruise does a full canal transit (east to west), and

allows us off after the Gatun Locks for excursions.

Then the ship tenders at Fuerte Amador for an hour in the evening where we get back on, very confusing. :confused:

Am debating staying on board or an excursion into Panama City.

Even the MFM website is not very clear.

Laura

I just returned from the Carnival Liberty yesterday. We did a tour with My Friend Mario and had no complaints. When we made the arrangements ahead of time via email he told us the price and also advised that in the event of bad weather, plan B would be to modify our tour from the locks and beach to the locks and the rainforest and San Lorenzo fort (which did cost slightly more). It was raining when we arrived in Panama and we were advised that there was also Red Tide, so the beach was not a good option. We chose to go with Plan B instead and we were happy. There was no problems with getting back to the ship late or close to departure. In fact, our tour guide "knew" that the ship would be leaving late because it is a 2 hour drive to and from Panama City and the Liberty had several excursions to Panama City and we could see when the buses left the port. Our guide was on the money and our ship stayed late because the buses that did the Panama City tour arrived back late. In fact, our guide told us that is why MyFriendMario does not do the panama City tours because they would also be back late and they don't want to take a chance.

By the way, the guide we had was very informative and spoke good English, and even gave away trinkets and souvenirs for free. Also there was no pressure to tip, although we did. I would not hesitate to recommend taking MFM over the ship excursion.

Archived