trip cancel insurance world cruise

lehman

looking for advice on whether it is better to self insure or go regent[berkely] for world cruise. is there a more reasonable way to provide some coverage?the coverage offered which seemed expensive did not even cover the cost of the cruise.thanks for any insights relative to world cruise

Yes, you can get better coverage than through the cruise line. Ask your Travel Agent or go to insuremytrip website. Note that although insuremytrip website has a maximum of $100,000 as trip coverage that you can use that maximum for shopping and comparison purposes and then when you are ready to purchase you can call their 800 number and within a day or so finalize an insurance policy purchase for your actual total trip purchase amount. If this is for the 2008 WC, keep in mind that at this point only HTH and CSA will issue policies at final payment that do not exclude pre-existing conditions. Also, I think that very recently HTH also may have implemented an upper limit of $30,000 trip cost per policy which will leave you with the only option of CSA for full coverage at final payment. Good luck, Debbie

It's not just trip cancellation that you should thnk about Medical coverage can be very important, too, especially for those whose primary health insurance is through Medicare (which doesn't pay outside the U.S.). On our cruise in the Spring, there were seven (!) medevacs, including one by helicopter at sea -- that gets expensive, too. There are several websites that allow you to comparison shop. We bought the CSA product, and I found that what was offered through Regent was significantly inferior.

We've gone on 2 full World Cruises as well as the 60 day South America trip and didn't insure any of them (some may cringe but we've never insured any of our cruises....I'm knocking on wood as I type this as we've never needed it!) The insurance for the WC is outrageous, about 7 1/2% as I recall. We do have medical insurance that covers us out of the country as well as Medjet. If we were to have to cancel prior to leaving or during the cruise we would lose $$$ by not having trip interuption etc.

So I guess this savings through the years would be considered "self insuring". You will need to do what gives you peace of mind and works for you. I don't think there is a "right" answer as everyone's situation and health history is different.

I use to never get travel insurance -- until my last trip. And boy, was I ever glad. It was a Regent Baltic cruise and we got the insurance thru CSA (insuremytrip). To make a long story short - flights were canceled to LA, missed our flight to Copenhagen, got a last minute rate the next day, British Air lost our bags and on and on. We filed a $15K plus insurance claim and got the money back in no time with no hassles. Would not cruise (or travel) internationally again without insurance.

Archived