christmas market cruise 2008

mev

Need some help - please!! Planning our first river cruise November 2008. Looking at Uniworld but also found valuable information on Amadeus Waterways. 1. Can anyone suggest if one is better than the other?

2. When you have taken these cruises did you book the air portion on your own, or were the flights okay - arriving in a timely fashion:confused: . Also, how was the weather (snow, rivers frozen, etc). This information doesn't seem to be readily available but we are so excited.

Thanks in advance for all of your wonderful advice and information.

Suggest you also investigate Avalon Waterways, Viking, Grand Circle Travel (GCT), Vantage and Gate 1 Travel. You can do a search on this board for comments about each.

Regarding air, you can get pricing at http://www.itasofware.com although not as far out as November/December 2008 yet since pricing is only available for 330 days in advance. But at least you can get an approimate price now. Some people prefer to book the air through the cruise company who usually provide airport transfers if you book through them. However, there have been complaints about poor routings and connection times that are too short (should be two hours at a minimum) should your routing require two flights. Should you do your own booking, you have greater control of flight times, routing and may be able to save money. Arranging for airport transfers requires a bit of research, but is not too difficult.

We have traveled with Avalon which is part of Globus on several cruises and have been very pleased. I cannot comment directly on any other river cruise company, but they all tend to gain favorable comments (as well as a few criticisms).

Good luck.;)

We are planning a large group for a Christmas Markets trip in 2008. Hoping for a late November departure date. We did this same trip on Grand Circle in 2005 and had such a great time we want everyone to go with us. I have prepared a power point presentation that we are giving out to our group and if you are interested in seeing, drop me an email at: pam.freeman.olmstead@juno.com

Also, how was the weather (snow, rivers frozen, etc).

Nobody can predict how the weather will be this year. In 2006 we had very mild temperatures in December, 10°C and more, thus the atmosphere on the christmas markets was sometimes more of a beach party.

In years before we had a lot of snow and temperatures below freezing - just the right weather for Glühwein, hot wine, and really winter-like.

BTW: You say "christmas market" and "November"? When exactly will you sail? Christmas markets do not open until late November, some only in December.

mev,

1. We did a Christmas Market cruise with Uniworld on the River Empress in December 2005. It was a fantastic trip, one of our favorites. Uniworld did a great job and made it very special. Have not been on Amadeus so can't compare. Have been on Avalon though. We enjoyed the Uniworld Christmas cruise so much we will probably do it again next year.

2. We always book our own air and go in at least a day prior to cruise start. Some people missed the first day of a pre-cruise portion in Prague due to weather delays in the U.S.

3. Others have already mentioned it has been warmer in Europe with little snow. Who knows what the weather will be, but you can enjoy the trip regardless of the weather. Our trip was a variety of cold, wet, windy, clear, sunny, and finally a dusting of snow the last night in Vienna. It was all wonderful, and didn't stop any of our touring. I don't believe you need to worry about frozen rivers.

Thanks so much for the input. Will probably finalize our cruise in the next few days. And I do think you are right - we will book air independently.

Now, here's a new question. Only one piece of luggage allowed per person. How do you bring your new found treasures home. Can you pack an additional bag that you can take home at the end of your vacation?

So many questions, so much planning - but can't wait.:)

mev,

The one bag per person is a guide that I have not seen enforced on any of our trips. The airline is another matter, but that just depends on the airline. Your typical Delta, American, etc. you can of course take more. We generally take one suitcase that is checked, a 20-22" carryon each, plus our "personal" item (purse, small pack, etc.). That has been more than sufficient for us, but you could easily do a checked bag each plus your carryons. If we think we will be bringing home lots of goodies, we have a 19" fold flat suitcase (we got it from Magellans) that we just slide in somewhere just in case.

mev,

The one bag per person is a guide that I have not seen enforced on any of our trips. The airline is another matter, but that just depends on the airline. Your typical Delta, American, etc. you can of course take more. We generally take one suitcase that is checked, a 20-22" carryon each, plus our "personal" item (purse, small pack, etc.). That has been more than sufficient for us, but you could easily do a checked bag each plus your carryons. If we think we will be bringing home lots of goodies, we have a 19" fold flat suitcase (we got it from Magellans) that we just slide in somewhere just in case.

mev - I thing the one bag per person is specific to Heathrow. We recently shipped a bunch of purchases from China with good results.

WIT

Archived