Galveston Rental car on Sunday

charlesjoy

yes, you can rent a car from Hertz. Enterprise is closed on Sundays. The way it was explained to me, the office at the pier is open 9-12, they do the paperwork there and give you the keys and then shuttle you a few miles to the other office which is closed but is where the cars are. You then drop off in Houston. You have to call the toll-free number, you cannot book it on the internet.

yes, you can rent a car from Hertz. Enterprise is closed on Sundays. The way it was explained to me, the office at the pier is open 9-12, they do the paperwork there and give you the keys and then shuttle you a few miles to the other office which is closed but is where the cars are. You then drop off in Houston. You have to call the toll-free number, you cannot book it on the internet.

Thank you so much for the information. I have been reading on here about not being able to get a car on Sunday so thank you again.

You're welcome. Glad to be able to help. I actually have a car rented for the return trip, but since I can't get one for the trip down (actually I can get one but would have to pay for two days instead of one, since the office where they are returned in Galveston is closed on Sundays (the one where you pick up, not the one at the pier, at the pier you cannot drop off - it is quite complicated!), I am going to change it to renting for the whole week, and parking at the hotel while on the cruise.

Well, I just called Enterprise and Hertz. It's a "Catch - 22" situation. Hertz will charge me for an extra day (thru Monday)for turning the car in on Sunday (embarkation day) as they will clear all their reservations when they open Monday in Galveston. They do provide a shuttle to the pier, however. Enterprise told me they now charge a drop-off fee for renting at Hobby and leaving the car in Galveston. Two years ago there was no drop-off fee. Also, they are closed AND don't have a shuttle to the pier. I swear, I have cruised my last out of Galveston. I think they are trying to run business away.

Well, I finally talked with someone with some sense. Houston Hobby Enterprise will wave the drop-off fee to Galveston. Got a full-size car for 1 day = $28. Hertz was charging me $90 plus an additional day for Sunday drop-off $180 !!!! I cancelled my Hertz reservation in a heart-beat.

Funny, Hertz is still my only option for departure day, as they are the only rental car co. at the pier, now.

The only downside is that I will have to call a taxi from Enterprise to the pier. The Enterprise rep even gave me all 3 Galveston taxi phone numbers. So, I will be out only about $10 for the cab. $38 sounds a lot more appealing than $190!

Well, I finally talked with someone with some sense. Houston Hobby Enterprise will wave the drop-off fee to Galveston. Got a full-size car for 1 day = $28. Hertz was charging me $90 plus an additional day for Sunday drop-off $180 !!!! I cancelled my Hertz reservation in a heart-beat.

Funny, Hertz is still my only option for departure day, as they are the only rental car co. at the pier, now.

The only downside is that I will have to call a taxi from Enterprise to the pier. The Enterprise rep even gave me all 3 Galveston taxi phone numbers. So, I will be out only about $10 for the cab. $38 sounds a lot more appealing than $190!

On departure day (to the airport) does Hertz charge one day rental and you leave the car at the airport rental office. Also do you know what they charge for the car rental (Galveston to airport) for a Sunday car rental?

Thanks

• 3 months later...

Don't count on consistency in the information you receive from either Hertz or Enterprise with regards to Galveston rentals.

We have done the Enterprise one0way rentals, twice in the past. The first time was great. The second, there was a 1 hour wait at the car rental location for their shuttle to return and take us to the port. On return from our cruise, we were instructed to call for a shuttle after clearing baggage claim and customs. I was then told that they did not pick up at the RCCL terminal and that I should walk over to the Carnival terminal to catch the shuttle. I left my wife and son at the RCCL terminal and went over to the other terminal. Guess what, no shuttle, no office for Enterprise, the Hertz office was closed, (supposed to be open from 9 to 1 on Sundays). Called Enterprise, got phone mail, waited 30 minutes and called again, lady said the shuttle was on the way; waited another 45 minutes and a shuttle shows up; there were now over forty people waiting for a shuttle to Enterprise, I was fortunate to cram myself onto the first shuttle, but they would not take any luggage, you had to leave rest of your party and luggage behind. Went to the Broadway office to get car, only two clerks available to handle all of the people trying to turn in cars and rent cars for return to the airports. Took over 40 minutes to get rental car. Then had to return to the port to pick up DW and son.

Never again.

For our March cruise, we are renting from Alamo for the entire period of the cruise, parking the rental car at the Port of Galveston parking and picking up the car when we return. From what others have said that have done this, it is much faster. Also, in our case, the full period rental and parking fee at the port was less than the combined total of two , separate one-way rentals from Hertz. Also, be aware that Hertz charges by the hour when you drop off a car at their Galveston rental location until Monday when they open for normal business. This will add another day to your rental that is not included in the price they quote you.

Hypo

Archived