New to Princess from Celebrity

HelloSailor

Very happy with Celebrity but they aren't doing the cruise I want for next year. Thinking of Caribbean Princess from Ft. Lauderdale 14 nights next Aug 05. We are a family of 4 (2 adults and 2 kids 17 & 19). What sort of cabin do you suggest. Are the suites able to accommodate 4 people?

How will we find it compared to M class Celebrity ships. She sure looks beautiful. Would be interested to hear comparisons. Thanks!

HelloSailor!! Welcome to Princess!! :) I can't help you with comparisons, But I can help you with the suites. On the Aloha deck aft, the Grand Suite will hold 4. Also on the Dolphin deck aft, there are two Vista Suites that will hold four. Also on the Dolphin deck there are several minisuites, forward and aft that will all hold 4. :)

Did one cruise on Celebrity's Mercury, down to Mexico RT from San Francisco, and enjoyed it very much, however, I still prefer Princess - they have many more varied itineraries, and a broader range of ship style and sizes. (And, generally speaking, a more reasonable pricing structure)

Michael

Hi,

I have been on the Galaxy and Zenith. With Princess I have been on the Crown Princess twice. And in Dec we will be going on the Sun Princess. I did like Princess better. On Celebrity I always had a hard time getting a glass of ice tea after 10PM. The machines were in use but they were never mark which one was working. So you had to go from one to the other to get a glass. Then the ice would be on one side and the tea on the other. I really didn't find any food at night 11Pm-12AM on the Zenith. (at least nothing I could eat). But I would still go on Celebrity again. But Princess I like a little better.

Geo

I'll quite blunt and tell you what you'd normally have to find out for yourself.

I think it all depends on you.

I repeatedly read that the food on Princess is not as good as Celebrity. But it's not hog feed either, that much I DO know. I've also heard some comments from Celebrity fans that things might be slipping in the food area but that might just be the moaners that every cruise line has.

For specific answers to your excellent questions about suites and their passenger capacity as well as more detailed info on the longer Princess cruises I'm hoping board members Toto or Coral will see this as they have personal experience with both

Regardless, one thing I feel confident in mentioning is that I know Princess will sure try to exceed your expectations.

If I had to guess?

From the tone of your questions I'd bet you'll like Princess just fine.

I have sailed on Celebrity's Infinity and Zenith as well as twice on the Grand Princess, and I think if you like Celebrity, you'll do fine with Princess. The biggest drawback you may find is that the balcony cabins on the Grand class are a little smaller than the M class, with no sofa. Otherwise, I think the lines are comparable. We love the anytime dining and freshwater pools on Princess, and I think the nightlife is livelier. I also have found the food just as good on Princess. although the presentation is fancier on Celebrity. Some people love the large, 2 deck main DR on Celebrity --- Princess opts for 3 smaller DRs instead, which have a more intimate feel, but that's not a large difference. But even with all that, Infinity is the prettiest ship I've seen. I'd sail either line again, depending on itinerary and sometimes price ---

We have been on both the Celebrity Century and Caribbean Princess and love both. They are very different, however. CP is much larger (both the ship and the cabins) and more active. Century is very nice in a classic dignified way. The CP food is excellent, but I would give Century the edge. I know that they are in head-to-head competition and the Century is doing 9 and 10 night Caribbean itineraries from Ft. Lauderdale next summer at almost the same price as CP for 7 days. The other Celebrity ships are closer in size to CP, but definitely quieter...a lot more kids on CP. Both are quality products.;)

I've spent time on both.

First given the ages of your *children* I would opt to get two cabins. It is almost certainly less expensive than a suite and will give them the opportunity to come and go at all hours without disturbing you. A little research with a good TA will help you to find the right combinations of cabins and price points. Keep in mind that the non suite cabins balcony cabins are smaller than those on X. No couch or tub in any non suites.

Personally, having just been on Celebrity Connie this March when she was rated number one- I did not find the food to be any better than princess. While the seaview cafe is a nicer space, the food is more varied in the horizon court and the 24/7 is a feature we miss when we travel on other lines.

I think that you will enjoy Princess. The pools in this class of ship are particularly lovely with lots of shade if you need it ( and summer in the Carribean you need it !). The aft pool which is adults only tends to be uncrowded and a beautiful spot.

Archived