Help!! Husband doesn't want to go!!

Geebee8

I'm surprised no-one suggested it. If I were her I'd tell him he'd get it every-night of the cruise...of course then she needs to follow thru, but then it's really worth it! We would not have taken many of our vacations without my making the offer!

Thanks so much for all of the ideas!! My parents are coming down tonight with all of the brochures, past pictures, etc. to give him one last chance to change his mind. If he just won't go, he'll be stuck in snowy, cold Ohio in February while I'm off somewhere in the Caribbean in my bathing suit getting a burn (I'm a redhead, that's what happens :mad:).

Thanks again!!!

If he just won't go, he'll be stuck in snowy, cold Ohio in February while I'm off somewhere in the Caribbean in my bathing suit getting a burn (I'm a redhead, that's what happens :mad:).

Thanks again!!!

Be careful Gee, My DW, Miss Ginger, floats like a cork in saltwater. On our first cruise she burned her, uh, upper legs. Oh ok, she burned her butt. Now I make darned sure that she gets plenty of sunscreen on it.:D

5 years ago my DH booked us a Mexican Riviera cruise for our 20th anniversary. He did this because I always told him how much I enjoyed my first cruise in 1978. He was not looking forward to the cruise at all! He is a big bicyclist (out on a 100 mile ride today) and was sure he would feel caged up and unhappy the entire week. He had a fantastic time! We took a second cruise this past March and when I suggested taking our two boys on a Panama Canal cruise next January - he thought it was a great idea. Tell your DH - "Try it - you'll like it"

Hi all! I am in desperate need of some help!! :eek: My parents have graciously offered to take me and my husband on their next cruise with them (they are yearly cruisers) and my husband doesn't want to go!! We need to get the reservations in by this weekend (9/1) and I don't know how to convince him so any help would be VERY appreciated!! He is giving me the "don't want to dress up for dinner", "I don't want to be stuck on a boat for a week", "I don't want to go to third world countries (going to caribbean)" song and dance and I know him well enough to know that if he would just go, he'd have a great time. Anyone have any advice or info that I could pass along to him?

Thanks so much!!!

Here is a suggestion...... Do what my mother did. My step-Dad would not travel unless there was a golf game or a football game at the other end. Her solution was to leave him home with the dogs and go sailing with her sister.

So... if you have a sibling or a friend..... travel with someone who wants to travel. ;)

Hi all! I am in desperate need of some help!! :eek: My parents have graciously offered to take me and my husband on their next cruise with them (they are yearly cruisers) and my husband doesn't want to go!! We need to get the reservations in by this weekend (9/1) and I don't know how to convince him so any help would be VERY appreciated!! He is giving me the "don't want to dress up for dinner", "I don't want to be stuck on a boat for a week", "I don't want to go to third world countries (going to caribbean)" song and dance and I know him well enough to know that if he would just go, he'd have a great time. Anyone have any advice or info that I could pass along to him?

Thanks so much!!!

Just let him know that you are going!

My husband wasn't all that interested in cruising. He likes to be really busy. Our fist cruise was a 7 day 6 port cruise. That got him hooked.

If he doesn't want to dress up go to the lido deck or order room service. Grand Cayman is an example of "not a third world caribbean country". If that doesn't work tell him to grow up and stop being a whiner.

Payd:)

and my husband didn't really want to go either. I put up such a fuss about me doing so many things just to make him happy over the years.....and I asked him "could you please just do this one thing for me???" I almost had to cry...LOL..I promised lots of room service and personal attention :D. We did choose a short 4 day because he was not thrilled about having too many sea days.

Now he is actually getting excited and talks to me about it. I'm doing a lot of reading on these boards and advanced planning to make this a great time for both of us. If I can pull it off, this won't be our last cruise!!! Thanks to CC I'm sure we will have a great time!!!:)

I really hope your husband comes around like mine did.

Hello,

Booboos and others....I did not want to use the word "sex" because this is a family website and I did not want to offend anyone.

Simply stated, tell your DH that there will be plenty of "romance" that will lead to "fun" for him on the cruise.

Hope that this helps.

Fred

Leave him at HOME!!!! We pressured my Dad into going on a cruise. Mom had a blast. Dad grumbled and complained the whole time about nothing. Take a friend or other relative, but most importantly... GO ON THE CRUISE!! You will love it

My husband was the same way on the first cruise - don't want to be stuck on a 'boat', nothing to do, don't want to feel trapped, don't want to be with a bunch of strangers.....and he hated flying too. It was a big sacrifice for him but he went along grudgingly. By the middle of the first full day we were sitting poolside and someone had just brought him the drink of the day and he said, 'we need to start thinking of booking our next cruise' That was in '98 and we are leaving soon for our 12th cruise.

I don't know if anyone else has suggested this, but my little secret it, when I reall want something..I offer lot's of sex..Works every time!

or a BAN if that dosn't work :p

thx for the chuckle BooBoos

:)

I grew up wanting to cruise, but we never had the money to do such a thing. I was in my mid-twenties before I cruised and I use to tell my dad how much he would love it if he would just go. I would get a NO! He didn't want out in the ocean or in a plane. But I knew if he would just go he would love it! He would say, I don't want no lower than digging potatoes and no higher than picking corn.

I started sending him brochures in the mail addressed to him. I would send him video's not only of the different cruise lines and ships. But videos of the different port of calls. He is a nature lover so I focused on Alaska. That is the trick, if he has a hobby or an interest. Find the cruise ship or port of calls that has those interest.

Dec of 2004 he called me and said, I want to go to Alaska for my 60th birthday in June. He said he had lived longer than he had already thought he would. I was expecting a 7 day cruise, but nope! He wanted the full deal. He did the 14 day land/sea package on Carnival. I was worried sick that he would get up there and hate it. I was second guessing EVERYTHING I had told him about how he would love it. But there was no reason to worry. He LOVED IT!

He did his first cruise in June of 2005. That was 2 1/2 years and 6 cruises ago. With a Panamal Canal, Western Caribbean and Southbound Alaska booked between now and next May. The cruise world is now wide open to him. He is looking at cruises in Europe, S. America and Asia.

I tease him and say I created a Cruise Monster!

Thanks so much for all of the ideas!! My parents are coming down tonight with all of the brochures, past pictures, etc. to give him one last chance to change his mind. If he just won't go, he'll be stuck in snowy, cold Ohio in February while I'm off somewhere in the Caribbean in my bathing suit getting a burn (I'm a redhead, that's what happens :mad:).

Thanks again!!!

I will be very interested to hear how this all turns out. :)

I was in the same boat...........Dying to go on a cruise, hub not interested. He finally gave in when he found a destination-- would only go if he could go to Belize. I found one QUICKLY and we're booked for the Jewel in March....

Ask him where HE wants to go. Good luck!

I'm surprised no-one suggested it. If I were her I'd tell him he'd get it every-night of the cruise...of course then she needs to follow thru, but then it's really worth it! We would not have taken many of our vacations without my making the offer!

Interesting practice. We don't use sex as currency in our house, to buy things. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

My cruising history is similar to Coach32.

For our 15th wedding anniversary, I thought an all-inclusive in Belize would be nice; lay on the beach and with a cold Bilken. But my wife had her heart set on a cruise. So a compromise was struck, we would cruise now and go to Belize later. She promised we would have a good time and we would go to Belize later. All the arrangements were made for a 4 day cruise on the Marti Gras. We planned to send our 2 DDs to MIL in Nebraska but Murphy stepped in; the youngest came down with mild case of the measles the day before they were scheduled to fly out of DFW. American airlines would not allow her on the plane. So at the last minute, we are racing to meet BIL/SIL in OK so they can deliver the kids to MIL. We made the very early flight and almost froze to death in Orlando waiting for the bus. A spring storm that was moving up east coast delayed several hundred passengers so the ship didn’t leave until 11:00PM. The cruise was to the Bahamas with 2 ports of call. True to her word, we had a great time (wink..wink)! We still exchange Christmas cards with a couple from Washington state.

That was 15 years and 6 cruises ago. We will be celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary and burning our mortgage with a cruise on the Conquest out of Galveston the week after Thanksgiving. We made it Belize on a cruise and I am glad we were there for only a few hours and not an entire week. Our next cruise will be through the Panama Canal. I have been through the canal twice courtesy of the US Navy so this time I can enjoy the view.

I am hooked on cruising and have infected a group at my work also. After seeing the pictures and hearing the stories, just the hint of an upcoming cruise has numerous people stopping by for the details. For this upcoming cruise, I mentioned it to one friend on Friday and by Monday, they and two other couples had booked the same cruise.

My husband is like alot of the others described on this board. . my parents are taking myself and my husband and my sister and her husband on a cruise in March. . we have all cruised before except my husband.. who is more of a one resort in one place kind of guy. . he works all the time so i'm worried he might back out at the last minute saying work is more important.. he owns a computer company. . so i'm also afraid of him racking up a huge internet bill while we are gone. . but anyways I know he isn't thrilled and only going because he knows I want too. keeps calling it a stupid cruise,etc. . I can't even get him to apply for his passport which I'm hoping he still will before friday. . i have all his stuff sitting on his desk and it just stays there. . but anyways I hope he gets hooked and loves it after this one because I want my kids to experience cruising and if he hates it. . then i'll just take my kids next time.

Like some of you offering more romance to your hubbys. . nothing works with my husband.. oh well.

Archived