100% Kona Coffee?

snowbird1

This question can probably be answered best by our Hawaii crew but maybe someone else knows. I have read the threads about making sure the Kona coffee you buy is 100% Kona. There have been places mentioned in Maui and Kona. Once I saw that someone mentioned Price Costco in Maui. Does anyone know whether the Kona coffee they sell is the good stuff (100% Kona) :confused: I am suppose to buy some of this for several friends and if Costco has it for a good price I would go there to save the money because I will be buying for more than one person otherwise I am not. Is the going price around $25 to $27 a pound at the local places?

Thanks

We were in Maui in February, and priced the Kona coffee at Hilo Hatties and Walmart, and if I'm not mistaken, Walmart was cheaper, and it was around $14.95 or 16.95 a pound... you could get some blends of varying percentages from $4.95 to 7.95 and up...

You will hear alot about Hilo Hatties, but our tour bus driver told us that Walmart was cheaper - and it was.... :D

ALOHA!!

I've seen the 10-14 dollar a pound coffee at Hilo Hatties...you can sample it there as they have a couple of hawkers set up. The taste is fine, but I still would go for 'premium' if youre coming all this way....If youre a true coffee expert, you will notice the difference.

P.S. Walmart, Kmart and Costco will be cheaper than Hilo Hatties.

BTW, Bad A$$ cafe has a booth set up at the Aloha Stadium. You can sample, buy by the cup or a bag. If youre on Oahu, a good place to get an idea without spending a lot.

My other half LIES! (i'm going to get kicked for that one later). Costco in Hawaii DOES carry 100% Kona. Can't remember the price off the top of my head and I can't guarantee quality of the beans since we've never bought it. But it IS there.

Spleen

I don't know about the Costco in Hawaii but my experience with Costco is oversized packaging. Coffee is somewhat fragile in that once you have opened it the freshness starts to fade. The flavor is better if it does not spend a long time in a cannister or stored in some other way waiting to be used. I brought back 8 oz packages and reminded everyone to begin using it right away and to not try to save it since the flavor will not be the same if kept for long.

Archived