Juneau whale watching tour - which one?

42trvl

42trvl,

We were on the Princess line. To be exact, we were on the ill-fated Island ship..........norovirus. It was a less than perfect cruise in more ways than one, but our excursions were awesome. Don't know if Celebrity uses Allen Marine, but I thought they were great. Have a great trip!

margeaux,
Thanks for the info - I hope you did not get too sick yourself. Hopefully you can go back again someday and try another cruise...There's so much to see in Alaska, I'm already trying to figure out when we can go again (along with all the other traveling we like to do)- my husband thinks I'm nuts...

[img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]We are going with Captain Larry in August. The woman I talked to (not Carol) said that we could purchase tickets at the Orca office to Mendenhall Glacier and Orca would pick us up at the pier for whalewatching. We have the 5:30p.m. tour. I believe the woman I talked to drives the Orca shuttle. Anyway, for those of you wondering,they will pick you up at Mendenhall Glacier for the whalewatch tour. Akue Bay is in the same area near the Glacier.By the way, I said pier but meant Mendenhall Glacier. Sorry about the error.

Hi - I originally booked the whale watching excursion with Celebrity, but after reading all of the reviews of Capatin Larry, I cancelled and booked with Captain Larry. I had a quick question (I forgot to ask), will they pick you up at the dock or do you need to take a taxi to Orca's office? I also read that they can drop you off at Mendenhall Glacier, is that correct?

Thanks!
Beth

bbeasley - you can walk to Awesome Orca's office. It is right next to the pier area (5 minute walk from Princess pier). They will send you instructions on how to find the place but it is literally, right across from Mount Robert's tram. You can't miss it.

You can decide the day of if you want to be dropped off at Mendenhall Glacier - they charge you $10 and that includes a voucher for a return trip on a shuttle. Mendenhall Glacier is pretty close to whale watching - so by having them drop you off, you will save a lot of time.

We are on the Regal Princess, arriving in Juneau on Sunday, July 18, and have booked with Capt. Larry. Never been to Alaska and never been whale watching so we are very excited. Everyone has different expectations of what a tour should and should not be. I think everyone should remember that nature and its habitats do not always cooperate with your eyes and binoculars. These tours must also comply with local laws about distance and not wanting to destroy or disturb the balance of it all. We are just looking forward to the opportunity and hopeful that it will be an experience to remember, whales or no whales.

Archived