RC Mariner of the Seas vs Carnival Glory?

sh1955

Four of us sailed on Mariner in July 04 and really loved it. However, we have 3 more of us going on a cruise in April 05 and the prices on Carnival are a lot more reasonable.

Will the four that sailed on Mariner in July 04 be disappointed in the Carnival Glory experience?

If we go on the Glory, we will be able to afford balcony cabins instead of inside cabins.

We are not interested in entertainment, but we are concerned about the food.

Thanks for your help!!!

SH1955, If food is your only concern, No Problemo. The Glory has 4 Star Cuisine according to the average Cruise Critic Rating. If you are still suspicious, have each person budget an extra $25. per day for diner at the Emerald Room Super Club, where you can have Lobter & Steak or Prime Rib every night.

Those Balcony cabins are going to make all the difference when it comes to a Great Cruise experience. Just for that option alone, the Glory is the best selection.

On the Glory, there will many Singles, & Families with children of all ages.

Carnival has the "FUN Ships"! "Party hardy with caution to the wind", will be the Moto of many. Glitz, Glamore, & Entertainment is the Theme. As long as you can "Live and Let Live", and are not concerned about how others dress or act. You will have a Great Cruise!

Since I am a Diamond Member with RCL and a often Carnival Cruiser (8 so far), let's compare the my last two cruises: Mariner vs. Glory

1) RCL has a conceiges lounge

2) Carnival has a waterslide

3) RCL has mini golf, in-line skating, and a rock wall. (Cool if you use it!)

4) RCL had two speciality restaurants (or is it three with Johnny Rockets), Carnival had one.

5) Glory had lots of places to eat outside, Marnier None.

6) Carnival had laundrettes, Marnier nothing.

7) Marniner had RANCH Steak, Carnival had Filet.

8) Mariner - Full size basketball, Carnival - Smaller than half court

9) Carnival - More self serve ice cream stations

10) In my opinion, the food is a toss up. But Carnival has more free speciality stuff (Fish & Chips, Deli, etc.)

11) In my opinion, the activities and entertainment go to Carnival.

12) In price comparisons, CCL is generally less expensive. I guess this makes RCL more upscale.

13) Glory left on a Saturday and the Mariner left on a Sunday - Same embarkation port. Could make a difference to some people.

14) The Room service menu on RCI was much nicer than CCL - More Choices!

Hope this helps.

Host Terry

Thanks for your replies!

We don't worry about what other people do; however, we are the type that are in bed by 10am and up at 5am.

We had a great experience dining in the Windjammer on Mariner--we could pretty much go in there anytime of the day and eat--which we really liked since all of us like to eat on different schedules. We especially liked the afternoon "tea," where in addition to tea and desserts, they offered sandwiches, tacos, etc. so people coming in from shore excursions in the early afternoon (3pm) could get something to eat. We only ate in the dining room twice during the whole cruise because we enjoyed the informality in the Windjammer.

Archived