Dogsledding: Juneau vs. Skagway

baseballmom

I know this might sound like a silly question, especially since my cruise is months away, but since I'm already getting dizzy looking at all the various excursion options I thought I could use some help from all of you wonderful experts!

I know that my son and I will want to do a helicopter/glacier dogsledding trip, but which one??? What, if anything, are the differences between tours offered in the two cities? At this point, I haven't decided on other excursions in Juneau. In Skagway, we'll want to take the White Pass Railway.

Should we book through the cruise lines or go directly through the companies? Other than cost, what are the advantages to going directly through the companies? Smaller groups, perhaps? I've heard that these tours sell out quickly, so even though our cruise is still 10 months away I would like to make a decision soon and get my deposits in (and then figure out how I'm going to pay for the rest of it! :) )

Any experiences, good, bad, or indifferent, that anyone would like to share would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your patience and understanding of this insanely addicted cruise fiend!

Laurie

Hi, just want to share my experience from last month taking a dog sled/glacier trip with Princess. While it was expensive it was flawless. From pick up to transport back. The excursion is amazing, truly once in a lifetime, therefore worth the cost. Apparently there is a good chance of cancellation due to weather which is another reason why I booked with the cruiseline. I knew I could depend on them for a credit.

Enjoy it. You will never forget it.

Doreen

Thank you! Which city was this in and do you recall the name of the company? You're right about the cancellation factor. I don't know what the weather will be like in early June, but it's definitely something to consider. Thanks again for your help, and I'm glad you had such a great time.

Laurie

I know for me, I will probably make the decision based on other factors. I have heard that the best place for Whale Watching is in Juneau, and I know we will want to do that as well as the dogsledding. So we will probably dogsled in Skagway.

See what's going on in all your ports of call and what you would be missing if you chose dogsledding in that port. That will help you in your decision.

• 2 months later...

hey laurie:

just wanted to say hi! i am having the same dilemma, dog sled in juneau or skagway. but i know that i want to do the white pass railway in skagway and still have time to shop. so i am thinking about dog sledding and the helicopter flight in juneau. i've already done whale watching and the city tour there before, so i guess for me the logical choice is juneau.

i was looking at era aviation. they have a four glacier and dog sled tour that is about $20 cheaper than booking through the ship, and in reading the description, it sounded almost like the same exact trip.

i've also heard that TEMSCO is good.

decisions, decisions...

We have done both... we loved both. The first time we booked Juneau because other CC's advised the helicopter trips are cancelled more in Skagway.

Following year we did opposite.

It is a win win.

Figure out how much else you want to do... then make decision.

I think the ride may have been prettier in Juneau, and it is a short walk... but they pick ya up in Skagway, so no big deal. If you don't book on your own, the cruiselines transport to both.

Incidentally, In Juneau, Orca (Captain Larry) arranged both for us and coordinated all our timing! It made for little time to meander about the town, but our all time favorite day in port!

Hope this helps.

The independent tour operators will give credits when tours are cancelled because of weather.

Two other options:

1. Godwin Glacier Dogsledding is available in Seward. They give discounts for

kids. We did this option on a pre-cruise excursion.

2. Also in conjunction with Coastal Helicopters, Godwin offers dogsledding in Juneau.

Larry

Archived