shorts and sandals in dining allowed on RCI?

LOL what? They're allowed everywhere, anytime, EXCEPT the dining room at dinnertime and maybe Portofino's.

I think by anywhere they meant any DINING area. And I don't think "maybe" is the correct word for Portofino's and Chops. If anything. I'd say it's "especially".

I take it you haven't read many of my posts? My DH used to work in Hawaii several weeks a year, and we now visit as often as we can. The bottom line is that you are not correct in your assessment. In fact, if you ask Hawaii residents, many will tell you that when they are in the finer restaurants and upscale establishments, they can often spot the tourists because they will be the ones dressed in shorts, t-shirts, and flip flops.

beachchick

Then there's the "Texas Tux" which is synonymous with shorts...

In fact, if you ask Hawaii residents, many will tell you that when they are in the finer restaurants and upscale establishments, they can often spot the tourists because they will be the ones dressed in shorts, t-shirts, and flip flops.
Well, I did ask residents many years ago, and also more recently.

The reason I frequent Hawaii so often is to visit friends who live there and that is the source of my information. Since they told me explicitly that it is the tourists who wear the long pants and the residents who do shorts and sandals, we have made a point of watching to see what other people wear when we go out. In my previous post the info about Hawaii is their words, not mine; and our many observations have confirmed what they said.

The husband of the other couple I know there have only been in Hawaii a couple years, and he wears long pants quite often, but that is for official work related functions as required by the Navy. He very quickly adopted the island wear and during his free time his wardrobe consists of shorts, shirt and Tivas.

Actually I think my friends from Hawaii, along with other Hawaii residents, would find these threads on cruise attire rather amusing.

Hey if you want a change of pace book the Nov 4th cruise on the Mariner with Captain Johnny and the Hogs on the High Seas. All 1500 of them will wear "Dressed Leathers or Formal". Captian Johnny with bring out his scooter & Harley on stage. Now before you scoff too much those dressed leathers may cost twice what you paid for your Tux.

We are not a HOG (Harley Owners Group) but caught them on our last Mariner trip and the Cruise was a hoot especially at the Pool games and the formal night. I have never seen a Leather Tux or full length leather gown with what looked like precious stones.

Well then don't go to Hawaii because shorts are the dress code everywhere. You will stand out like a sore thumb, or more precisely a tourist, if you wear long pants to dinner over there. Same goes for the Caribbean islands. I think that may be one reason why so many people have a problem with tuxes and suits on Caribbean cruises.
Hawaiian shirt, yes, everywhere. In a good restaurant, light weight trousers and nice sandals would be apropos, not shorts & flip flops. Unless as beachchick mentioned, you are a tourist.

Just got off of yhr Mariner on August 19th. My Husband and 2 sons wore Khacky shorts, Polo Shirt and Reef flipflops to dinner everynight except for the 2 Formal nights. No one said a word and they were not the only people dressed this way. I think you still look nice, so whats the problem?

i know this is a hot topic.. and, it doesnt really bother me.. i just wish, if they HAVE rules, that they would acutally enforce them... the only rule they actually inforced, was asking my dad to remove his hat (even tho he was going to anyway) as he walked into the Dining Room, during Lunch.

other than that.......... people wore WHATEVER they wanted.. and then I had to listen to my dad b*tch that he couldn't wear shorts, why does everyone else...

Just got off of yhr Mariner on August 19th. My Husband and 2 sons wore Khacky shorts, Polo Shirt and Reef flipflops to dinner everynight except for the 2 Formal nights. No one said a word and they were not the only people dressed this way. I think you still look nice, so whats the problem?
How sad!!Biggest problem is still that RCI doesn't enforce the rules. I can only assume that you didn't know the rules about no shorts in the dining room for dinner or they wouldn't have dressed like that.

A LOT of people wore shorts and sandals on Sovereign last week. Shocked the hell out of me so much that I wore shorts on the last night myself! First time I ever did that on a cruise, and it only felt weird walking in, but once I was seated, I totally forgot what I had on. It sure made packing easier since I was able to wear that same outfit for the beginning of our long drive home on Friday...

Whoa there! Texas girl here, and a Texas Tux is definitely NOT shorts. Nice, dark, starched jeans, best boots, white shirt, bolero tie, jacket and dark hat - THAT'S a Texas Tux.

You're right you're right, I'm sorry! I confused shorts with jeans, my bad! LoL

http://www.bermuda-online.org/shorts.htm

Bermuda is the shorts location I was thinking of...

Well, I did ask residents many years ago, and also more recently.

The reason I frequent Hawaii so often is to visit friends who live there and that is the source of my information. Since they told me explicitly that it is the tourists who wear the long pants and the residents who do shorts and sandals, we have made a point of watching to see what other people wear when we go out. In my previous post the info about Hawaii is their words, not mine; and our many observations have confirmed what they said.

The husband of the other couple I know there have only been in Hawaii a couple years, and he wears long pants quite often, but that is for official work related functions as required by the Navy. He very quickly adopted the island wear and during his free time his wardrobe consists of shorts, shirt and Tivas.

Actually I think my friends from Hawaii, along with other Hawaii residents, would find these threads on cruise attire rather amusing.

That's interesting how different Hawaii residents have different takes on the whole "what to wear and when" thing. We've observed quite the opposite in several places. I simply cannot imagine anyone wearing shorts to someplace like La Mer or even Alan Wong's. Come to think of it, I'm almost 100% sure that La Mer has an actual dress code, and Orchids has one for dinner too, I think. No doubt, those living in Hawaii have as many variations on what they feel is appropriate as we have on the mainland. (And most definitely as many variations as what we find on the cruise forums!)

I should probably correct myself and say some Hawaii residents wouldn't dream of wearing shorts to an upscale venue, and some would. You know, it's interesting because there are formal shops and dress shops and many types of clothing stores and types of clothing available. It's not there just for residents to buy when they're going on a cruise or to the mainland or elsewhere outside of Hawaii. We've seen many Hawaiians dressed beautifully; it's especially appealing when they're dressed up in traditional Hawaiin clothing. But there would certainly be no need for the numerous dress shops and men's shops in Hawaii if residents didn't actually wear the clothing.

You're definitely right that most Hawaii residents would no doubt find this amusing, if not down right silly. OTOH, if you go to the Hawaii forum here and ask the locals for a response, many of them will most emphatically state that they do dress up (most often "Hawaiian" style, but sometimes truly formal) and that they don't wear shorts and Tevas (love those; we wear them almost year round at home) day and night, but do have attire for various types of occasions. I write this because the question has come up many times over the years and those are common responses.

In any case, I guess we should probably stick to what's expected on the specific cruise ships since that's the actual subject at hand.:D

beachchick

I simply cannot imagine anyone wearing shorts to someplace like La Mer or even Alan Wong's. Come to think of it, I'm almost 100% sure that La Mer has an actual dress code, and Orchids has one for dinner too, I think.
Well yes, La Mer and Orchids do have dress codes; "Long-sleeved collared shirt or jacket required for gentlemen" and "resort attire" respectively. No meniton of shorts or Tivas. Also, these are hotel restaurants whose main audience are.... tourists. Now, local residents do go there, but that is not these hotel restaurant's bread and butter. Alan Wong's I know for a fact shorts and Tiva's are commonplace, along with Roy's, Azul (also mainly tourists) and Spago (Maui).

Regarding the shops in Waikiki, well there once again is the tourist target market, expecially the Japanese. I stayed in Waikiki once, never again as the whole touristy thing is a huge turn off for me. Now for many this is WHY they love Waikiki and go there year after year. I get that, but there are others like me who don't. A suite at the JW and the peace and quiet of Ko Olina with a wonderful golf course literally across the street and scuba diving 20 minutes north is more my cup of tea. Yes, we still go into the city for dinner once per visit, but that's about it. Or Maui and Kauai are nice also.

How sad!!Biggest problem is still that RCI doesn't enforce the rules. I can only assume that you didn't know the rules about no shorts in the dining room for dinner or they wouldn't have dressed like that.

I guess since you are being rude, kinda silly, don't ya think. At least 50% of us on the boat apparantly don't know your rules.

I guess since you are being rude, kinda silly, don't ya think. At least 50% of us on the boat apparantly don't know your rules.
They're the cruise line rules not teajak's. Also, assuming another person's social faux pas is out of ignorance and not deliberate is a sign of manners not rudeness. One should always think the best of others until proven wrong.

They're the cruise line rules not teajak's. Also, assuming another person's social faux pas is out of ignorance and not deliberate is a sign of manners not rudeness. One should always think the best of others until proven wrong.
Thanks Mark, I didn't think I was being rude by giving them the benefit of the doubt about not knowing the cruise lines rules, sarcastic I will admit to.LOL

Well yes, La Mer and Orchids do have dress codes; "Long-sleeved collared shirt or jacket required for gentlemen" and "resort attire" respectively. No meniton of shorts or Tivas. Also, these are hotel restaurants whose main audience are.... tourists. Now, local residents do go there, but that is not these hotel restaurant's bread and butter. Alan Wong's I know for a fact shorts and Tiva's are commonplace, along with Roy's, Azul (also mainly tourists) and Spago (Maui).

Regarding the shops in Waikiki, well there once again is the tourist target market, expecially the Japanese. I stayed in Waikiki once, never again as the whole touristy thing is a huge turn off for me. Now for many this is WHY they love Waikiki and go there year after year. I get that, but there are others like me who don't. A suite at the JW and the peace and quiet of Ko Olina with a wonderful golf course literally across the street and scuba diving 20 minutes north is more my cup of tea. Yes, we still go into the city for dinner once per visit, but that's about it. Or Maui and Kauai are nice also.

Well, I'll tell you one thing we completely agree about is Waikiki. DH and I stayed at the RH last December because we had always said we would "some day." It was nice, but never again. When DH used to work in Honolulu, he stayed at a tiny little place near HHV that no longer exists because a high rise has replaced it. Oahu isn't actually our favorite island, but we do love Kailua, and one of the reasons is because almost every place is a casual venue.

(But I still respectfully disagree with the "shorts and tevas everywhere at all times." You and I have simply had different experiences and met different people who live on the islands. We do not frequent the big resort areas, so a lot of our time is spent around locals. The dress shops and men's wear shops do not only exist in Waikiki and only for tourists, and I wasn't specifically referencing the Waikiki area. In fact, I wasn't really thinking about Waikiki at all in that regard. Honestly, do you think that men would look at "long sleeved collared shirt or jacket" and figure they should go ahead and wear their casual shorts and tevas with them? I would hope not, but I guess that's their choice.)

beachchick

If you enjoy rules, and sticking to the rules, and being somewhere where rules are gleefully enforced, I'd suggest traveling to Singapore, Iran or Saudi Arabia. They love to enforce the rules, and making sure you pay dearly if you break them. Therefore, people happily abide by them!!!

We can agree to disagree, I have no problem with that. Regarding Waikiki, I just assumed that you were referencing Waikiki since all of your restaurant choices were located there and it is known for its shopping.

The Waikiki restaurants were just the first ones that came to mind. We like Waikiki--for a short visit, stop at the RH Mai Tai bar, etc., but that's pretty much it. I have to say though that the RH decorated for Christmas was gorgeous, and we're glad we stayed there because it had been on that "must do" list for so many years. Once, however, was enough.

beachchick

Archived