Roll Call: Spirit: 10/20 1st to Alexandria; on to Dubai

JaneBP

I can't seem to find the original of this, if indeed there was one. I did ask about Turkish visas, I remember that. I spent yesterday filling out the Egyptian visa application THEN read I could get it done on board for the same price.

Since the piper has been paid, anyone else sailing?

• 1 month later...

Thought this deserved one last bump. Thanks and 'God Bless' to Anita at Seabourn and DHL for making the trips so easy. Fie on BAA for the one carryon rule. I have had all my shots and have my documents, so I am ready for this cruise or my AKC registration, whichever comes first.

What countries require shots?? Are you doing a land extention? :confused:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/images/icons/icon7.gif

Well, it's like this. I called the University Travel Clinic to find out about the yellow fever and they asked where else I was going. I metioned Egypt and apparently a collective gasp went up, as it's apparently a very 'dirty' country. Ok, so I got the YF, a tetanus booster (I was due), a polio booster (never had, I am old and had the Salk shots), typhoid, a flu shot (need another one in January, it's passive immunity), and then my second Hepatitis A. I also got some Cipro for the travelers' revenge and some anti-malarial meds for Belize and Honduras (in December). I need a pneumonia update in January with the second flu shot and then a different antibiotic for India, because there is Ciprofloxin resistant travelers' revenge. So, some are country specific and some are general adult health immunizations. Did I mention I am also 'paper-trained'? <g>

so you survived the yellow fever shot ok? I have to make arrangements for that one very soon, :( have to send a copy of the "certificate" to the Brazilian Embassy for the Visa!

We didn't have any shots for the Spirit cruise.......

I survived all 6 at one time, 3 each arm. I have had yellow fever before, 40+ years ago. I tell patients that the Tetanus is the one that might give a sore arm. I did take some aspirin around the clock x24 hours.

Obviously, cruise tours are less chancy than overland trips, as Matt mentioned. And as I said, many of the shots were basic adult health maintenance (DPT, Polio, Hep A, flu, and the pneumovax to come). So that depends on your philosophy of health and advice from your provider.

Jane..I agree with your health provider. Caution is the your best friend. As for Egypt being a dirty country...20 some years ago..I took 68 people on a 3 week tour of Egypt. We had 98% illness...and it was tough. I agree that inland would cause this more so. I remember being so ill I wondered if I would survive. We had a 17 year old that became do dehydrated that she almost didn't. The luxury hotels in Cairo are delightful. But..when you go inland and take the trains...stay on ships on the nile..etc...it is another story. Enjoy the fact that you are pampered by SB. The sights and history of Egypt are the most memorable of all my travels..and even with the difficult memories...one of my favorite trips. AND yes, I would do it again.

Hi Jane,

In an earlier thread I mentioned we would be on the cruise Alexandria to Dubai and hope to meet you on board. We are leaving October 19, flying AA to London and then BA into Cairo, arriving at midnight on the 20th. From there we are on a land/nile tour until November 3 where we will meet up with you.

We are now empowered with our flu shot, yellow feaver, and Cipro plus all the other over the counter remedies. We decided to do the land first followed by the Seabourn Experience so it will be back to being taken care of. The other thing we invested in, and is good for a year, is the Med Jet insurance.

The one bag rule for carryon which includes purse is going to be challenging but we have done it before and can do it again......I guess.

We just got off of the Spirit on September 1 and looking forward to many of the crew who will still be on. It will be like coming home!

Take care and enjoy your part of the trip before we join you.

Deanna

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/images/icons/icon7.gif

Well, it's like this. I called the University Travel Clinic to find out about the yellow fever and they asked where else I was going. I metioned Egypt and apparently a collective gasp went up, as it's apparently a very 'dirty' country. Ok, so I got the YF, a tetanus booster (I was due), a polio booster (never had, I am old and had the Salk shots), typhoid, a flu shot (need another one in January, it's passive immunity), and then my second Hepatitis A. I also got some Cipro for the travelers' revenge and some anti-malarial meds for Belize and Honduras (in December). I need a pneumonia update in January with the second flu shot and then a different antibiotic for India, because there is Ciprofloxin resistant travelers' revenge. So, some are country specific and some are general adult health immunizations. Did I mention I am also 'paper-trained'? <g>

Thanks for the info! Definitely better to be safe than sorry. I often wonder if we should have done the same after a full day excursion to Marakesh in Morocco in 2006 - interesting place but I've never been anywhere more filthy! :eek:

Enjoy your trip and God bless! :D

>"In an earlier thread I mentioned we would be on the cruise Alexandria to Dubai and hope to meet you on board. We are leaving October 19, flying AA to London and then BA into Cairo, arriving at midnight on the 20th. From there we are on a land/nile tour until November 3 where we will meet up with you. "

My apologies, Deanna. I know you will be cruising and was looking for the original post and couldn't find it. I think your way of touring Egypt first sounds terrific.

Ever since I studied Egypt in Jr High School, I have been enamored of traveling there. I even wrote to Nasser, sending him my class report (loaded with pictures in those days, tied with a ribbon) and he invited me to come visit. I know that letter is buried somewhere in my scrapbooks. I might have to return next year to really experience all the country has to offer.

I will be at the SkyBar as you don your 'Mae Wests', probably drinking a BBC to assuage my depression that a whole generation of cruisers never heard that term.

No apologies needed Jane. I searched for the thread too and couldn't find it. Thank you for starting a new one.

You must have unpacked your bags, washed your clothes and repacked as you had such a short time between your trips.

I too was fascinated with Egypt as a child as whenever I visited relatives in San Jose, CA I always visited the Egyptian Museum. It was fascinating. In fact I wonder if it is still there as it has been years since my childhood 'field trips' to the museum. I vividly remember the experience, however.

See you in a few weeks.

>"We just got off of the Spirit on September 1 and looking forward to many of the crew who will still be on. It will be like coming home!"

I think that's true, but for me, this is my first Spirit cruise. Other than Capt G-A, Karl, and Casey in the Pursers' office, I am not sure if I will know anyone. The Captain just posted some new 'introductory' photos on his website. It's so interesting, that really, there are no real differences, so I guess it's like home, but with new 'relatives'.

Jane,

You'll know Vitor, (we dubbed him the most handsome in the land at the "Royal Affair") and Staff Captain Nils (Norwegian wild boar farmer) Chef Pascal is aboard now but I think Chef Alan will return before Oct. 20th (his specialty, mushroom risotto is to die for) I'm not sure if Leeann is on ~~always a delight! And Joe McCormack (my Pride dance partner) will be wearing his formal Scottish kilt!

I know a few of the waiter's moved from the Pride to the Spirit.

Notice Captain Geir's painted "Cats" rat guards on the mooring lines. He just sent me a great picture of he, Capt. Toenis T. and Nils with all 12 "Cat" guards ~~he carries these from ship to ship~~~I laugh every time I see these rat rings.

Please give all aboard the beautiful Spirit my best and a big "Yee Haw!"

Martita B

>"I'm not sure if Leeann is on ~~always a delight!"

I heard that Leeann is working in a hotel in Dublin, so I'll see. And I do think Casey will be on vacation, if her plans went smoothly.

I do anticipate finding crew with whom I have sailed before, after all, the Spirit intinerary is interesting and a great choice for many.

Jane,

Oh I didn't know Leeann had left Seabourn ~~~last Sept., during the Ryder Cup in Dublin, Capt. Toenis, Staff Capt. and I were walking down the street on our way to dinner and ran "slap dab" into Leeann, her gentleman friend and Felipe~~~so we all went for "pints" at a nearby Pub....Leeann's friend told us he was working at The Dromoland Castle Hotel (near Shannon Airport) so perhaps Leeann joined him in Ireland ~~~she is such a doll I am disappointed if she has left Seabourn.

I had predicted she would be the 1st female Seabourn Maitre'D!

MB

Jane,

Some of our loved crew from the Pride that is now on the Spirit is; Luis, Peter, Zoltan (Zoli), Aurelei, and others. Oliver,Dear Sweet Oliver, is holding some bottles of wine I loved from our September trip for this one. It will be like coming home, plus we get to meet you. I love your return repacking idea of using the laundry bag as a divider from clean to rewash.

See you in a few weeks.

'Cousin Deanna' - one of your long lost 'relatives'.

I know a few of the waiter's moved from the Pride to the Spirit.

Martita B

If this is the case, then I hope a few of the waiters from the Spirit, have moved to the Pride! I would love to see some of those kids again! :)

Sorry to post this, but...as the saying goes, 'All things considered, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you like the play?

I was in the cab going to the pharmacy to pick up my travel meds and got a call from my doctor. I have a very abnormal blood count, so I stayed in the cab, went to the office for more lab work and will be scheduled to see a hematologist in the next few days. Truth be told, the annoying dizziness that I attributed to the bouncy Atlantic crossing is still there, so perhaps this is why. The pyramids will still be there, next year.

I was in the cab going to the pharmacy to pick up my travel meds and got a call from my doctor. I have a very abnormal blood count, so I stayed in the cab, went to the office for more lab work and will be scheduled to see a hematologist in the next few days. Truth be told, the annoying dizziness that I attributed to the bouncy Atlantic crossing is still there, so perhaps this is why. The pyramids will still be there, next year.

Jane how disappointing to hear this. I'm sure it's just some silly infection and you'll be fine after a course of antibiotics. Keep us posted! :)

Thanks for the good wishes. I have Seabourn-Nail to set a good example of faith and courage. And really, I wasn't looking forward to sitting on those hard SkyBar stools now that I have had the new, re-fitted luxurious Veranda chairs with cushions. <G>

Jane, that is very sad news. I was looking forward to meeting you and enjoying your wit and humor. Positive thoughts are with you throughout your testing, dr. visits etc. You will be missed on the trip. We are leaving this Friday for Egypt - land and Nile and then on to the Spirit on November 3. Take care.

Deanna

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jane,

sorry to hear that you had to cancel your cruise. I was looking forward to meet you on the Spirit, but health is a good you cannot gamble with.

So, please get well soon and I'm sure: we'll meet (again), don't know where, don't know when, but I know we meet (again) some sunny day!

Positive thoughts from

Chris from Cologne

Hi Jane,

... I'm sure: we'll meet (again), don't know where, don't know when, but I know we meet (again) some sunny day!

Positive thoughts from Chris from Cologne

Thanks Chris, things are getting back to normal, thanks to the fact that I had no symptoms, feel fine, and the findings were incidental. My doctor is worried about my Seabourn high-life and it's effect on my cholesterol! I do have to take care of myself, health-wise.

I am busy planning some make-up and new cruises. I hope to be on the Spirit in '08 from Venice to Istanbul and later on from Dubai to Hong Kong.

Years ago I lived in Kassel and used to love to vist Koln. It's a special city. Sure would love some bratwurst right now. Chef Markus makes spaetzle for me sometimes, too. That's heaven!

Here's to smooth seas!

Dear Jane,

I think your doctor is jealous of your cruises. Don't let him take over your cruising schedule.

So I'm glad to hear you are planning new cruises with our favourite cruise line. Hongkong-Singapore onboard the Spirit is on our schedule in January 2009, before will be the Legend Christmas Cruise together with Seabourn-Nails and the Pride spring crossing.

And, after that, there will be more cruises, so we'll have the chance to meet somewhere in the world.

And, if ever, you will return to cologne, let me know and we will have a nice little cruise on the river Rhine!!

I will toast you onboard the Spirit

regards

Christian

Archived