Monday Morning Miami Traffic

Snuggss

My wife and I are going on Explorer on 9/5. We get back to Miami on 9/12 and are staying the Sunday night somewhere in Miami. We will be renting a car so that we can explore Miami that day after debarkation. We have a 10:30 AM flight and we are wondering how bad the traffic is on a Monday morning from the Miami Beach area to the airport. Has anyone tried to get from Miami Beach on a Monday during Rush Hour? If so, how long did it take? I'm thinking that it would be better to stay near the airport, but my wife wants to stay at the beach. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

ONLY 13 DAYS LEFT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Traffic in Miami in the morning (any morning) is NUTS!!! If you stay at the beach allow over 2 hrs to get to the airport! I say this for many reasons, but here are just a few: lost of people commuting around Miami to get to work, the road from the beach to the airport is a toll road...so if people don't have the $ or right change the tolls can get pretty backed up. Those of us that frequent Miami alot, have a "Sun Pass" it is one of the electronic boxes that sits in the window and lets you fly through the toll without having to pay. They charge a $25.00 fee to get the box for the car and then whatever amount you want to prepay for the tolls. Tolls are $1/car in normal lanes and $0.75 in the Sun Pass lane.

Long story short...I would personally stay at the airport and catch a shuttle. Miami traffic is SOOOO unpredictable, morning wrecks that tie up traffic are a common place.

Good luck with your decision!

I live in Miami. Trafic is really bad but while it is true that the road is a toll road, you don't pay the toll when going from the beach to the airport, you do pay the toll when going the other way. If you are staying in the South Beach area you will take the MacArthur Causeway which is the one that takes you along the port and will conect you with the 836 expresway that will take you to the airport. The distance from South Beach to the airport I will say is about 10 milles but the volume of cars on the road in the morning is a lot so give youself at least 45 minutes to get from South Beach to the Airport and I think you will be ok.

Now if you hotel is further north in Miami beach (like North Miami Beach, Surfside etc) then you will need more time. Enjoy your time in Miami :)

Another solution would be to stay at hotel near the airport but visit the beach for the day and have dinner in south beach. Since you will have the rental car you return the car Sunday night after dinner and take shuttle back to your airport hotel.

Just a thought.

mcboo:):)

Archived