Are SS cabins on Zuiderdam's Nav decks noisy (under Lido)?

CoolChile

Many of you advise getting a cabin "sandwiched" between decks that are 'all-cabin' and I agree, but we went with booking a promo that mandated 'guarantee.'

Well, we've just got our cabin assignment on the Zuiderdam .... from an SZ to an SS. It's on the Navigation deck and right under the Lido buffet. We are light sleepers and I've read that being right under the Lido (or the pool areas) can be noisy during the night when the crew are cleaning and moving chairs. Your opinion: Should we try to get a different cabin (although I think ALL the SS's are on Nav deck)? Would hate to have to knock ourselves out with too many cocktails before bed. ;)

I'm also interested in what you think our chances of our TA being able to get HAL to make a change. We'd like not to end up in the boiler room either.:eek:

The noise problem that is mentioned most often is deck chairs being moved on the hard surface right around the pool. Under a carpeted area you should be OK.

I'm also interested in what you think our chances of our TA being able to get HAL to make a change.
IMO, slim to none. When you book a guarantee you simply have to live with what you get. :(

My experience is as John describes. Under the pool area ... you'll have chairs and tables being dragged across the deck early in the morning (and some other times, too.) Under the buffet area itself you shouldn't have any problem.

I was in a VA on the Navigation Deck on the Zuiderdam in April. I heard nothing from up above. It was very quiet and peaceful. Sometimes when I was on the balcony I did hear people on their balconies particularly during the sail away in Puerto Rico. You should have no trouble sleeping.

We were under the Lido last week on the Noordam. We could sometimes hear vacuuming and kids running around, but only in the morning. It didn't really bother me, because I knew it was time that I should wake up and get the most out of another day of my cruise! Who knows how long I would have slept otherwise.

We were on the Nav. deck between the Lido and pool area and heard chairs moving a few times but quite otherwise. One big plus was... so close to the Lido being able to bring our trays back to sit and eat on our balcony. Just run up one set of stairs and your outside.

Missygirl

We are also booked on the Zuiderdam leaving Vancouver Sep 29th and we booked a SZ guarantee also. Did you use a TA or directly book with HAL? we still do not know what cabin we are assigned to.

INFREQUENTCRUISERS: We booked thru a TA. Today when I checked the HAL site, there was our cabin assignment. So you should hear anytime now.

I read in another thread that HAL is currently doing the 'cabin shuffle' for our cruise and that's why all categories are marked 'closed.' They need to figure out who's been naughty or nice ... that's how they determine who gets an upgrade. :D

Since there are only 4 SZ's on the Zui, and the SZ GTY was a big promo, a ton of you are either going to be sharing those 4 cabins (hope no one snores) OR ... 98% will get an upgrade.:)

... Sep 29th ... we still do not know what cabin we are assigned to.

You will most likely find it on your Check-In form sometime between Sep 8 and 15 ... but maybe later ... possibly not until the 29th, on the pier. Many people (including me) say the later the assignment the better the cabin.

Yo John, Jim, Candbgirl, purplenorway and missy ~

I'm the OP ... many thanx for your insights about our cabin assignment on the Nav deck. Mr CoolChile and I are fine with that now (he's usually fine anyway), due to your responses. And you know how sometimes you have to ask even when you know the answer? Well, I guess that was the case with my qx'n about seeing if HAL would allow us to make a change.:)

Dear Cool Chile,

We have never been on the Zuiderdam. We were on the Westerdam in cabin 8081 (SS 5 cabins back from the Midship elevators) in December 2005. Husband sleeps like the dead, but I do not. I never had any problems with noise from the Lido in a.m. or p.m.

I hope this helps you. It is a great location one flight from Lido, aft pool or forward pool, and I think you will love the bathroom with two showers.

Hope you have a good trip.

KellyJ

Hi KellyJ

Thanks for furthur reassurance about the lack of noise in the SS's.

BUT ... only TWO SHOWERS? I would not have purchased this cruise if I had known that. Whatever will my husband and I do! Oh nevermind, we'll figure it out. :D

Archived