Has anyone heard from Ivan or David

LHC

I can imagine they are working with the Maya in the interior to help with relief efforts, knowing the type of people they are.

I am really worried about them. Please let us know anything and everything about whether they're okay and what they need.

I have just received an email from Ivan, he is up in Cancun at the moment buying food and supplies for friends and family & the village - he is returning to Majahual tonight with the supplies. Everyone is OK, thankfully no one was hurt, but everyone's spirits are down, and they are very scarred and worried as many people lost their homes, their crops, and their livliehood. He said the ruins did survive, but the jungle around it did not, it is flattened, as well as their little house that he and his family used to live in. It's gone. Majahual has no electricy, so he will be out of touch for a bit. I will let him know that everyone on Cruise Critic is concerned for him and David and everyone else.

Thanks so much everyone for being such a caring community.

Here's a message just posted to their website:

As you may know, Costa Maya was davastated by hurricane Dean, this past Tuesday, August 21st. Our village Chacchoben, was also seriously affected and most families lost everything they had. The good news is that nobody was hurt and that we are all willing to work very hard to rebuild our community.

As for now, we do not have any official information regarding when cruise ships will return to Costa Maya. However, we know that everyone will work hard and that cruise ships will come back as soon as we are ready to provide services to our visitors.

For the moment, we are working hard in our village, and have no plans to go out of bussines. In fact we are planning to offer other options for our clients arriving to Calica and Playa del Carmen.

We are open for reservations for next year and you can be sure that at The Native Choice we will be ready to offer our services when the first cruise returns to Costa Maya.

We also appreciate all the emails we have received from friends and past clients. Please know that we will be responding everyone as soon as services are available in our community. For the moment we can not communicate with the outside.

Did he say anything about Dave and his situation?

Linda

Here is my email, I'm sure he wouldn't mind me posting it:

Dear Cheryl,

Thank you very much for all of your words and support.

As you know, we were hit by hurricane Dean and practically everything was destroyed.

In my village there are many families that lost everything they had, but it is good to know that nobody was hurt.

After the hurricane we started getting organized and it was very sad to see what we had in front of us. We are very positive and willing to work very hard to rebuild the our community but we also know that it will take some years for the families to recover from this terrible loss.

For the moment we are working very hard and hopefully things will get better for us.

Best regards,

Ivan Cohuo

I will email him again to see if there is anything we can do for their community directly.

Somebody had posted on the Costa Maya post-hurricane Dean thread that they had heard from David and that he and his family were okay and that the greatest need right now is for chainsaws. Not sure how we'd manage to get those to them.

Thanks for letting me know about Dave. Is his home all right? I know his mom had to move back into the village several years ago. Any word on his mom's house also?

Check out Cliff's blog at portillas dot com where he has posted detailed descriptions and photos of all over the area. In a personal email he told me that the first of his photos from Xcaret is David's house. That's all I know. As Ivan said, the Chacchobben village was badly damaged, I would assume that would mean David's mom's house as well.

I received the following email from Carolina who works for them. She rode on the van with us to the ruins in June of 2006. It includes a link for Shutterfly to view lots of photos from the area. I am sure that I feel as most of you do, that I was fortunate to see these ruins while they were surrounded by the beautiful jungle which now seems to be gone.

tHIS IS CAROLINA, WE MET IN MAHAHAUAL . i TOOK YOU FROM THE PORT TO CHACCHOBEN AND TOURED YOU THROUGH THE MAYAN AREA A COUPLE OF MONTHS AGO.

THE HURACAN DEAN HIT MAHAHUAL, CHACCHOBEN TOWN, PEDRO SANTOS , BUERNAVISTA, RIO INDIO AND THE TOWN IS BACALAR , A LAKE MADE BY 8 CENOTES VERY CLOSE TO THE PINEAPPLE TOWN.

THE PORT WAS DESTROYED BY DEAN AND IT IS GOING TO TAKE AT LEAST SIX MONTHS TO BE REBUILT .

WE WILL BE TAKING THE TOURS FROM COZUMEL AND TAKE THEM TO OTHER ARCHEOLOGICAL SITES.

MY TOWN LIMONES, LOST MOST OF THE HOUSES AS THEY WERE MADE OF GUANO AND I ONLY LOST MY TINACO'WATER CONTAINER FROM THE ROOF .

I AM ALIVE AND I AM HAPPY FOR NOT BEING THERE AT THE TIME OF THE HURACAN

CHEERS

CAROLINA

share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=0AcOWrdi2aMWLDmA

Check out Cliff's blog at portillas dot com where he has posted detailed descriptions and photos of all over the area. In a personal email he told me that the first of his photos from Xcaret is David's house. That's all I know. As Ivan said, the Chacchobben village was badly damaged, I would assume that would mean David's mom's house as well.

I'm sorry.... Cliff and I have since determined that we were speaking of two different David's.

• 2 months later...
Has anyone heard from these two? They give great trips to the Mayan Ruins from Costa Maya. Worried about then as they are wonderful to CC'ers who come to visit.

Linda

Please click on the link below, another CC member posted some news about Ivan.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=12277875#post12277875

Wes

Archived