ON A LIGHTER NOTE... What will you be reading on your upcoming cruise?

NorCalCruiseGuy

I recently read 1 - and ordered the rest of the series from ebay -

Laura VanWormer is the author - Sally Harrington is the reporter / solver of the case - mystery books.

The ones I have read so far have been good - and that is what I plan to finish on our next cruise - plus a few bubble gum books "Victorian romance";)

A second vote for any Haven Kimmel books, they are great. A Girl Named Zippy and She Got Up Off The Couch are autobiographical and she has also written several novels - I've read them all but can't remember the names. And for really light reading the Bubbles series by Sarah Strohmeyer.

I'm going to be reading the "Quest" by Wilbur Smith on my TA cruise on Millennium in December. His books are so well written and you are transported back in time to ancient Egypt for this on.

I started it on my last cruise a few weeks ago but didn't get it finished and life has been hectic since I got home so it is still sitting on the bedside table. All I'm hoping is that I don't have to re-read too much of it in order to pick up the story again.

"I always pass on good advice. It is the only thing to do with it. It is never of any use to oneself" - Oscar Wilde

I'm going to be reading the "Quest" by Wilbur Smith on my TA cruise on Millennium in December. His books are so well written and you are transported back in time to ancient Egypt for this on.

Wilbur Smith's books are great! Not sure I'd want to drag a hardcover along on a cruise, however.

I started it on my last cruise a few weeks ago but didn't get it finished and life has been hectic since I got home so it is still sitting on the bedside table. All I'm hoping is that I don't have to re-read too much of it in order to pick up the story again.

"I always pass on good advice. It is the only thing to do with it. It is never of any use to oneself" - Oscar Wilde

Good choice, I love his books too!

We go to yard sales or tag sales on the weekends and find old and new books for next to nothing and then leave them on the ship. For our up comming TA in Dec. we are taking Treasury of Southern Folklore edited by B.A. Botkin and Beyond the Body Farm by Dr. Bill Bass of the University of Tn., and Peter Taylor's In The Miro District.

Just something to read to help lead to another nap on the balcony as the waves of the ocean pass by. Yes, the X library really taken a dive-save money.

Bruton Branch:)

That is a REAL same, reading is actually good for us! - they could more money in the libraries and less on golf (?) IMHO;) I would actually pay another $10.00/pp/per cruise, and if everyone paid another $10 think what a great library they could have.

It is such a shame to see that the libraries are not as well cared for now. They assign random people to shelve books every few days and you might find anything, anywhere. As a lover of books, it hurts me to see how little regard there is for them now.

I know I'm strange, but I just love the feel of a hardback. I usually take 4 and supplement from the library. I'll sacriface the weight to not have to read a paperback. Like I said, strange.:)

Taking a tip from Oprah and plan on reading LOVE IN THE TIME OF CHOLERA. And since we rescued a wonderful German Shepherd from a shelter, DH will be taking lessons from The Dog Whisperer's new book, BE THE PACK LEADER. If my book is as good as I hope it is, I will finish it quickly and hopefully have time to educate myself on how to be a pack leader too.;)

On my next cruise, I will probably read "Where is Joe Merchant" and "A Salty Piece of Land", both by jimmy Buffett. If my nephew lets me, I will probably start reading on the plane and then on the bus to the port. In fact, I could probably read both of the books on the plane rides (one is 4.5 hrs and the other is 7.5 hrs). I guess thta means I will be haunting the ship library for something to read. :rolleyes:

Does anyone know how the Mercury library is?

If you have not read them, I have to say they are good books considering they are rated as children's books. My sister read the first one, but she didn't particularly care for it. But, both of my parents liked the books (1 thru 5).

Which reminds me that I need to loan them books 6 and 7.

It is such a shame to see that the libraries are not as well cared for now. They assign random people to shelve books every few days and you might find anything, anywhere. As a lover of books, it hurts me to see how little regard there is for them now.

I know I'm strange, but I just love the feel of a hardback. I usually take 4 and supplement from the library. I'll sacriface the weight to not have to read a paperback. Like I said, strange.:)

Tuggers, try the new larger paperbacks--they're wonderful. I too like reading hardcovers, but not on trips. Just too much weight in the luggage since I'm a big reader.

• 2 months later...

Funny. She'll make you feel as if your own life is normal (while making you laugh), and we can all do with a little normalizing (and laughter), can't we?

Only problem is that I just "discovered" her 4 weeks ago and I've already read the first 12 out of 13. I'm picking #13 up from the library in a few days and then I'll be waiting another year for #14. :(

I don't have the necessary self control to hold out with a good book until a cruise. Good thing we have a lot of all-day shore excursions booked on our 14 night Auckland to Sydney - don't suspect that I'll have much time (or energy) left to dedicate to reading. I'll be snoozing under a blanket on a deck chair tucked into a quiet space on sea days, with that unread book lying on the deck next to the chair.

I've just started the Agatha Raisen series by MC Beaton, but I'm not sure I'll get hooked in, as she's rather unpleasant and unethical, and I like to like my main characters. Any feedback on old Agatha for me from people familiar with Beaton? :confused: Sure, Hamish Macbeth is flawed too, but I find him immensely likeable, and he's got the kind of ethics I understand.

Happy cruising and safe travels to all reading this post.

Susan

Funny. She'll make you feel as if your own life is normal (while making you laugh), and we can all do with a little normalizing (and laughter), can't we?

Only problem is that I just "discovered" her 4 weeks ago and I've already read the first 12 out of 13. I'm picking #13 up from the library in a few days and then I'll be waiting another year for #14. :(

I don't have the necessary self control to hold out with a good book until a cruise. Good thing we have a lot of all-day shore excursions booked on our 14 night Auckland to Sydney - don't suspect that I'll have much time (or energy) left to dedicate to reading. I'll be snoozing under a blanket on a deck chair tucked into a quiet space on sea days, with that unread book lying on the deck next to the chair.

I've just started the Agatha Raisen series by MC Beaton, but I'm not sure I'll get hooked in, as she's rather unpleasant and unethical, and I like to like my main characters. Any feedback on old Agatha for me from people familiar with Beaton? :confused: Sure, Hamish Macbeth is flawed too, but I find him immensely likeable, and he's got the kind of ethics I understand.

Happy cruising and safe travels to all reading this post.

Susan

I feel the same way about having to like the main characters. AND ... I loved Janet Evanoich's books, too, but have read them all.

On that note, do you have any recommendations for really good cozy/light mysteries? I'm on the hunt for the best of the best in that genre since it's kind of a new reading area for me.

Thank you,

Lynn

Hi Lynn

I got into the cozy fictional murder mystery thing relatively recently, past 7 years or so, with the Lilian Jackson Braun "The Cat Who...." series of some 25 or so books, as I'm an animal nut. Would probably only recommend this series to other people who are insane about cats, or who want a good idea of the ambiance of the upper Michigan peninsula. Pretty lightweight, but good-natured, and I've read them all.

I would recommend Alexander McCall Smith's "No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency" series, to be read in order, to practically anyone with a sense of humor. You just KNOW it's going to be a unique experience when, in the opening pages of the first book, the main character, a Botswana woman "of traditional size" is at her very much loved "Daddy's" deathbed, and you find yourself laughing out loud at human nature and the sheer comedy of life. It is incredibly moving and funny at the same time. I now live under the happy delusion that I have a best friend in Botswana and that, were I to travel to the veranda of the President Hotel, I would find MMa Ramotswe waiting there to take tea with me.

I've also enjoyed M.C. Beaton's Hamish Macbeth series: "Death of a...."

Our 57 year old male neighbor recently started on the series, at my suggestion, prior to his first trip to his ancestral Scotland with his wife and teenage son last summer, and he's now hooked on the series. It gives you a good feeling for the Scottish Highlands.

Aside from Janet Evanovich, those are my favorites, i.e., favorite enough to devour the series quickly.

Sometimes, people who work in bookstores and libraries are good sources.

Happy reading.

Susan

I read cozy mysteries, too. I really like Carolyn Haines Southern Belle mysteries, Laura Childs' Tea Shop series. She also has one about scrapbooking in New Orleans. Check out Earlene Fowler's Quilting Mysteries, Tamar Myers' Pensylvania Dutch series, Hazel Holt (2 series), Joan Hess has two hilarious series, Sharon Short, Jeanne Dams, Katherine Hall Page, Carolyn Hart (2 series), Susan Wittig Albert and Robin Paige (her pseudonym with DH).

I've read all the Agatha Raisin and Hamish McBeth mysteries. Both main characters are flawed, but funny and interesting.

I love Jill Churchill and Ann Ripley, Francine Mathews, Margaret Maron, J.A. Jance, not all cozies, but good mysteries. I am finally catching up on the last two Diane Mott Davidsons. If you like dogs, try Susan Conant and Carol Lea Benjamin.

I really like the books by Beth Henderson, light romances and mysteries. I used to babysit Beth and her 3 younger brothers when she was 9 and I was 12, my first job outside my own family. In her Christmas letter, she said she is resurrecting her early novels, doing some re-writing to improve them. I have read two of them in orginal form recently.

The list of books/authors I read could go on for several pages, but I'll stop now, lol.

Hi Lynn

I got into the cozy fictional murder mystery thing relatively recently, past 7 years or so, with the Lilian Jackson Braun "The Cat Who...." series of some 25 or so books, as I'm an animal nut. Would probably only recommend this series to other people who are insane about cats, or who want a good idea of the ambiance of the upper Michigan peninsula. Pretty lightweight, but good-natured, and I've read them all.

I would recommend Alexander McCall Smith's "No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency" series, to be read in order, to practically anyone with a sense of humor. You just KNOW it's going to be a unique experience when, in the opening pages of the first book, the main character, a Botswana woman "of traditional size" is at her very much loved "Daddy's" deathbed, and you find yourself laughing out loud at human nature and the sheer comedy of life. It is incredibly moving and funny at the same time. I now live under the happy delusion that I have a best friend in Botswana and that, were I to travel to the veranda of the President Hotel, I would find MMa Ramotswe waiting there to take tea with me.

Our 57 year old male neighbor recently started on the series, at my suggestion, prior to his first trip to his ancestral Scotland with his wife and teenage son last summer, and he's now hooked on the series. It gives you a good feeling for the Scottish Highlands.

Aside from Janet Evanovich, those are my favorites, i.e., favorite enough to devour the series quickly.

Happy reading.

Susan

Hi, Susan,

I've also gotten into the cozy mystery reading thing relatively recently, so I have a lot of catching up to do.

I really appreciate your recommendations of books that are "favorite enough to devour the series quickly." Those are EXACTLY the suggestions I was hoping for.

As far as Lilian Jackson Braun, I keep seeing her books in stores because she has soooo many. I am actually an animal nut. I have two poodles, BUT now somehow a LOT of stray cats have adopted me. In fact, there is one kitten who basically has become ours now. I feed all the cats just because I can't stand seeing them go hungry. I'm hoping at some point that some of the neighbors will trap them because it's out of control, BUT the kitten (who is quickly growing) is MY KITTEN. She comes to me, and I bring her in the house to play with her and feed her. Even my dogs are now friends with her. She's unusual!!!

Back on topic, maybe I would like the cat mysteries. I'll have to check them out. If you've read them all, they must we wonderful, I'm thinking.

Very, very recently I've gotten "into" audio books as well. They're GREAT for my commute to work in Miami (I actually live less than a half hour from the Port of Miami). I'm also loving audio books for when I'm working around my house, too. Have you tried audio books? They're fun in my opinion. I really get into the book and become immersed in the narration.

I think I might try Alexander McCall Smith's in audio format ... at least some of them. I believe my library has a lot of them on CD. I'll have to check one out and see how I like them.

Thank you sooooooooooooooooo much for the suggestions!

Right now I'm in the middle of the third book in Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series simply because sooooo many people have recommended it to me. The author is outstanding and probably the best writer I've come across, but I really, really want some like, cozy mysteries <g>. The more humor in them, the better!

Thank you again. I love sharing ideas and recommendations!!! Oh! That means it's MY turn. The cozy mysteries that I have read and enjoyed (other than reading Janet Evanovich) are Joanne Fluke's books (all food related and FUN) and Diane Mott Davidson's (also food related). I've read all of Diane Fluke's and some of Diane Mott Davidson's.

Lynn

Hi Lynn

Happy reading.

Susan

Hi, Susan,

I've also gotten into the cozy mystery reading thing relatively recently, so I have a lot of catching up to do.

I really appreciate your recommendations of books that are "favorite enough to devour the series quickly." Those are EXACTLY the suggestions I was hoping for.

As far as Lilian Jackson Braun, I keep seeing her books in stores because she has soooo many. I am actually an animal nut. I have two poodles, BUT now somehow a LOT of stray cats have adopted me. In fact, there is one kitten who basically has become ours now. I feed all the cats just because I can't stand seeing them go hungry. I'm hoping at some point that some of the neighbors will trap them because it's out of control, BUT the kitten (who is quickly growing) is MY KITTEN. She comes to me, and I bring her in the house to play with her and feed her. Even my dogs are now friends with her. She's unusual!!!

Back on topic, maybe I would like the cat mysteries. I'll have to check them out. If you've read them all, they must we wonderful, I'm thinking.

Very, very recently I've gotten "into" audio books as well. They're GREAT for my commute to work in Miami (I actually live less than a half hour from the Port of Miami). I'm also loving audio books for when I'm working around my house, too. Have you tried audio books? They're fun in my opinion. I really get into the book and become immersed in the narration.

I think I might try Alexander McCall Smith's in audio format ... at least some of them. I believe my library has a lot of them on CD. I'll have to check one out and see how I like them.

Thank you sooooooooooooooooo much for the suggestions!

Right now I'm in the middle of the third book in Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series simply because sooooo many people have recommended it to me. The author is outstanding and probably the best writer I've come across, but I really, really want some like, cozy mysteries <g>. The more humor in them, the better!

Thank you again. I love sharing ideas and recommendations!!! Oh! That means it's MY turn. The cozy mysteries that I have read and enjoyed (other than reading Janet Evanovich) are Joanne Fluke's books (all food related and FUN) and Diane Mott Davidson's (also food related). I've read all of Diane Fluke's and some of Diane Mott Davidson's.

Lynn

Archived