Tipping on the land tour portion of your trip

NanaC

Good afternoon -

I have what I think is an interesting question............my husband and I are booked for a land cruise tour to Alaska with RCCI next year. I understand the tipping procedure for the time you are on the ship, however how does it work for the land portion? Do you tip as you go? Will you have the same bus driver for the entire land portion of the trip?

Thanks to you all for the information I have gathered on this site! Very helpful information!

NanaC

Hi NanaC - I think it is great you are thinking ahead....we have traveled with friends who hadn't considered this either.

Think of it as you would an event near your home. If you booked a horseback riding trip for the afternoon, you'd certainly tip your guide. If you went rafting with a guide, you'd tip him/her accordingly. We tip around 20%, + or -, depending on how well we liked the services.

Sorry, I've not ever done a bus tour for a land portion, so I can't help you with that. But, indeed we would tip a driver who was with us repeatedly. Some other more experienced cruiser will be able to help out with this part of your question.

Most bus drivers/and guides will have a bucket in the front of the bus, where tips are to be deposited and they will usually make it clear that they appreciate tips. If you have a driver and guide that are separate, give the driver a couple of dollars pp and your guide whatever you feel his tour was worth.

You do have the same bus driver and tour director the entire trip. On the next to the last day of the land tour, they will give you envelopes and a flyer that gives the tipping guidlines. Just like you would get on the cruise!

The guideline is $3.50 per person/per day for the tour director and $2.50 per person/per day for the motorcoach driver. If you will be on the train, it also suggests $1.00 per person for the guide (which seems a little low to me).

Have a wonderful trip and you will love Alaska!!

Hi Nanac, You will have a wonderful experience in Alaska.

As far as tipping, I believe the guidelines as one poster said are given to you. I think they were in the cruise docs.

Yes, you do have the same driver and tour guide. They were really great and we tipped accordingly. I didn't feel the guide on the train did alot, so we did not tip her. Maybe that is a major faux paux but that is how we felt.

Have a great trip. j

Archived