Valparaiso or Santiago

corindli

We are joining our South America cruise in December, sailing from Valparaiso to Buenos Aires, and have booked flights to give us a few days free before the cruise departs. The original intention was to stay in Santiago, but now Valparaiso seems very interesting instead. Is this a good idea, or a bad idea? There are not many hotels in Valparaiso, but I have found one I like the look of, so we are definitely tempted. Has anybody done this- a stay in Valparaiso before cruising rather than Santiago?

All advice and comments gratefully received. Thanks in advance,

Corina and John

We really enjoyed our two days in Sanitago, great food, nice people, a great Metro, museums, shopping, funicular ride to a mountain top. It was HOT however in early Feb!! We stayed at the Radisson...excellent hotel. If you had more time you could do a tour into the Andes, see the wine region, and go to several ethnic market we had no time for.

Valpo and Vina del Mar seemed to be nice seaside local vacation spots. Windy beaches, kind of funky, not upscale. To my mind...good for a day only. (nice little museum in Vina Del Mar) Have a Pisco sour for me!

BTW...Chile will collect a $100 each 'fee' at the airport, not a visa fee, but the fee is the same amount as the Chile to USA visa fee. And Buenos Aires has a 'airport departure' fee $20 each when you fly out. Curiously, no fees the other way. Great cheap food and wine in BA!!!

Hi and thanks for the reply.

Still not sure what or which.. probably end up having a couple of nights in Santiago and then a couple in Valparaiso. See if I get any more advice before doing the bookings. Regards from Corina and John

Thanks eh2zed,

I also posted on 'ports of call South America' and am getting replies there which suggest Santiago and also Vina del Mar.

Looks like that might end up our combination as it seems Vina del Mar is right next door to Valparaiso anyway.

Ciao,

Corina and John

Archived