Skagway excurisons

vancouverjessica

We heard so much about the drive to Emerald Lake, imagine our shock when we found out that Canadian can not drive the car over the boarder! Now we need help finding something to do in Skagway.

I like kayaking, so I think I might choose the Glacier Lake Kayak & White Pass Rail Experience (HAL). Anyone done that? My husband and his parents aren't into kayak, flying or fishing. I thought they would like the train but couldn't decide which excursions. Does it matter whether you can get off the train? Does it matter if you go to the Summit or just Fraser BC?

What other suggestions do you have? Thank you in advance!

We heard so much about the drive to Emerald Lake, imagine our shock when we found out that Canadian can not drive the car over the boarder! Now we need help finding something to do in Skagway.

I like kayaking, so I think I might choose the Glacier Lake Kayak & White Pass Rail Experience (HAL). Anyone done that? My husband and his parents aren't into kayak, flying or fishing. I thought they would like the train but couldn't decide which excursions. Does it matter whether you can get off the train? Does it matter if you go to the Summit or just Fraser BC?

What other suggestions do you have? Thank you in advance!

Following Murray's guide and driving to Emerald Lake is one of the must do's in Skagway. Have you tried to check your roll-call and see if you can carpool with another American couple. That way, you can get back to Canada while shaving off some of the cost.

The kayaking on that trip is on a barren alpine lake - very, very different from the sea kayaking at Ketchikan (the best port for kayaking). On the WP&YR train, the further you go the better (dramatically more varied scenery), with the rail/bus combinations offering the best of all (IMO, of course! :D )

Murray

My husband and his parents aren't into kayak, flying or fishing. I thought they would like the train but couldn't decide which excursions. Does it matter whether you can get off the train? Does it matter if you go to the Summit or just Fraser BC?

Fraser, BC is beyond the summit. We did a rail/bus combination trip to the Yukon with Chilkoot Charters, but they also have a shorter rail/bus trip to Fraser, BC and back. Some people are bored on the train trip back to Skagway. That's why it's nice to take the bus the other direction, both for a different view and for the chance to stop along the way.

Jessica -- I see you like kayaking, if you also like canoeing you may want to try what we find a super excursion in Skagway --- Glacier Point Wilderness Safari --- it involves a boat ride, short hike and then you canoe up to a fantastic glacier. (Davidson Glacier) You can see pictures in my albums below or on my Alaska video.

Dave

thank you for all your help.. first of all, I so wanted to go to Emerald lake following Murray's guide. but we have 4 people so I doubt that I will find someone to join us. I did look up the roll call but not many people are even on it. It may already be too late to rent a car.. I do think that I will one day fly up to Yukon and do the trip in reverse. :D

I do love kayaking and I may take up Kayaking in Ketchikan (thanks Murray!) My only concern now is the weather. I had only done kayaking in the mid summer when the weather is warm..

I had emailed Chikoot Charter twice and l/m once for pricing and availability.. they never responded. I only have two days before HAL close the excursion booking. any advice?

I had emailed Chikoot Charter twice and l/m once for pricing and availability.. they never responded. I only have two days before HAL close the excursion booking. any advice?

Chilkoot's office is always manned during the day. It's very odd for Cathy not to respond - I'd call (toll free 877-983-3400) You can book on board right up until the tour departs, though (if space is available. of course).

Archived