"Official" amount of liquor allowed back to states

masonpips

Ok, we have always purchased 4 bottles each (and if we're going to St. Thomas too, one additional local bottle). This year we only have St. Martin - when I looked it up it said "one quart" is officially allowed. Seriously?

How much is the tax on a typical bottle of $15 liquor (assuming we do declare)?

This is a general thread not port specific and will likely get moved. But the answer is, maybe $2, but you probably won't pay anything... too much trouble to collect the dough. We brought about 18 liters combined last time, and paid zip, we were just waved through. Just declare it and don't worry about it. One cruise we paid about $20 for maybe 15 liters.

Texas residents returning to a Texas port, however, may find they are limited to just one bottle, period. What a crazy state... :confused:

If you search you'll find a few threads on where to shop, duty, etc... Check out my Valor review for some comments on buying alcohol in the Caribbean.

My approach to liquor purchases is the same. The limit is what you can carry. I always bring about 8 liters of liquor, year after year and declare every purchase. To date I have never been questioned or even paid any duty. Liquor is simply not a priority with customs. The only time I was questioned was about a grocery store meat product.

Archived