Self-booking, air and hotels

Suite 16

In Fall of 2008, six of my family plan a European River cruise, company not yet decided. In the past we have booked air and hotels with the cruise line, but wonder if me might realize a saving for our group if we booked ourselves. Could we hear of experiences with river cruisers who have booked independently?

Thank so much for your opinions.

In Fall of 2008, six of my family plan a European River cruise, company not yet decided. In the past we have booked air and hotels with the cruise line, but wonder if me might realize a saving for our group if we booked ourselves. Could we hear of experiences with river cruisers who have booked independently?

Thank so much for your opinions.

Hi Suite:

You can absolutely book your air and hotel independently of the cruiseline. They usually will charge you quite a bit more, than what your travel agent can find the same thing for.

I booked all of my hotels and flights away from my cruiseline.

Absolutely do it on your own or at least check it out. I saved $900.00 by booking my own air this summer for our Budapest to Amsterdam river cruise. Our friends took the offered air from Avalon and we booked our own and we saved $900.00 over what they paid.We even flew an extra 425 miles from Evansville to Chicago to catch our overseas flight. We were on United and they were on Lufthansa and we left Chicago 30 minutes apart.We were on the same flight from Frankfurt to Budapest. We always go at least 1 day early so we would not get the free transfers anyway. The transfer to our hotel cost 19 euro per couple. I have booked my own air for the last 5 years every year to Europe and I have always saved money AND gotten better connections. I hate those tight connections that the tour companies like to book for you. I have used orbitz to find good airfare and have never had a problem.

We also use tripadvisor to find a hotel and always save several hundred dollars by finding our own hotel. One time I actually stayed at the same hotel as the tour company stayed at and saved $150.00 per night by booking it myself online through tripadvisor.

So by all means do not be afraid to make your own arrangements.

We stayed at the Marriott Millenium Executive Apartments for 85 euro per night incl breakfast.It is only about 1 block from the big Marriott and you can use their facilities.I booked it about 8 months in advance and made my reservation thru tripadvisor. It is rated very high by the tripadvisor posters.One of the most popular Budapest hotels. We had a 3 room suite that was absolutely beautiful.The location was perfect and we were able to walk everywhere easily. It was 1/2 block to Vaci Utca,the main shopping street,1 block from the Danube and 2 blocks from where the cruise ships dock between the Liberty and Elizabeth Bridge,3 blocks to the Central Market and 4 blocks to the Chain Bridge.This hotel has got to be the best bargain in Budapest.

Archived