Sea Bands question

msiowa

I have found Bonine to be quite effective and with the least side effects. Effective and much better than dramamine or those patches behind the ear. You take 1, 1 hour before boarding the ship and then only 1 a day from there on in. My husband used to use the patch, but the side effects, mainly after getting off the ship, made him try Bonine and it worked for him fine.

We tried the sea band for my daughter and had no success with it - I was trying to avoid giving her medication, but fell back on the Bonine and it helped quite a bit. Gave it to her at night before bed since it made her a little sleepy, but she'd wake up feeling fine and one pill works for 24 hours.

I've used the much more expensive Relief Band for myself which I need very rarely and that has worked very well - it's a wierd sensation though in your hand, but I got used to it fairly quickly. You wear it like a watch, and it is made of some kind of material that is not elastic.

I vote for Bonine: nothing else worked for me. You can buy the generic brand (meclazine) and get a 100 pill bottle with a 5 year expiration date for around $3.00.

Ask your pharmacist.

I always take one right before bedtime, no side effects for me.

Grace

I never get motion sickness.. then I cruised.. in calm waters and guess what? I was green, literally. If it was not for Bonine I would never have enjoyed my cruise. I did tend to be a little sleepy but if there is a drug reaction to be had I will find it. Most people do not get drowsy on it (if I take an Ambian, for example, I have ten minutes to get into bed or I fall asleep where I am standing and this is not an exageration.. as my poor husband, who found me asleep on the bathroom floor, will attest)..

I could not cruise without Bonine.

I have used Sea Bands for over 20 years and have found that they work very well. The most important thing is that you have to place them exactly in the right place, 3 fingers back from the break in the wrist and between the 2 tendons, after placing the bands you must press down on the button and hold for 30 seconds do this 3 times for each wrist. this will tell your body that you are not yhaving a problem with motion. I had a boat that had a displacement hull and whenever I got into a beam sea and the boat started to roll I would get sick, in 1979 I found the maker of the sea bands at the New York Boat Show and he instructed me in the proper use of them. Have never been sea sick since.

Have a great cruise.:) :)

I like relief bands. You can get them on E bay for about $50.00.

It looks like a watch and gives off a little shock every 1/2 hour.

I got seasick all the time till I started to use relief bands.

I didn t like taking the Bonine and I wanted to drink and couldn t ater taking

Bonine.

Are elastic and have a little plastic piece that applys pressure to a certain pressure point on your wrist.

I never get seasick but my sister used to get sick all of the time until she started using these.

She swears by them ;)

The Sea Band brand are made with elastic. I had some that were made with a velcro strap that i found in a marine suppy store some years ago. These were made by the original company that introduced the concept, I dont know if they are still making them.

Hope you will be able to find some that work for you.

Just to clear up any confusion. Sea Bands and Relief Bands are two different things that work on the same principal.

Sea Bands are elastic with a hard button that you place between the tendons below the wrist. You are supposed to wear them in pairs, one on each wrist. Pros: These can be worn in water if need be such as showers and swimming. Another pro: They are inexpensive. Cons: They get mixed reviews on effectiveness, don't work for everyone. It sounds from reading this thread that proper use and placement is important for them to work.

Relief Band is an electronic device that looks like a wristwatch. Only you wear it with the "face" over the same wrist area as the Sea Bands. You only wear it on one wrist. It gives you a mild shock every few seconds which stimulates the nerve and tells you that you are not sick. It is a tinglely sensation. Pros: Most people claim it works. Can stop motion sickness immediately when turned on. Cons: Expensive to buy ($80 and up unless you get a deal on eBay) and they use batteries which you must have a adequate suppy of with you as they use a odd coin type battery that could be hard to come by on a cruise. Another con is that they cannot be worn in the water.

Both Sea Bands and Relief Bands have no side effects and you can drink with them in use with no problems.

Archived