Port side or Starboard...which is best and why?

KC Cruiseaddict

What location do you request for your room when booking your cruise?  

80 members have voted

1. 1. What location do you request for your room when booking your cruise?

I've only had port side staterooms, and this October we will have our first starboard stateroom, and first balcony as well! :cool:

:p So here are my questions...

What is the difference, except the obvious, that you most likely dock on the port side and would get to see the "port?"

Do you ever get to see the port on the starboard side?

Is there anyone on CC that requests a starboard side stateroom or do you all like port side better...and WHY? :confused:

Thanks in advance! - Rhonda

On caribbean sailings port or starboard side is a crap shoot....I have had both and had nice views on any cruise. That being said, if doing an Alaska cruise northbound vs. southbound, this is where port and starboard side plays a factor in the views.

I guess it it boils do to where you are leaving from and what you want to see. I was a port side person untill this cruise.

Imagine paying for a balcony room and as you cruise out you realize you are on the wrong side!!!!

We did get to see mid town, and the rebuilding...but to see Ellis Island and Lady Liberty from your balcony????...Lesson learned

FYI port is the left side of the ship and starboard is the right - - SO - - go to you CCL cruise book and see the direction you will be going in, then you can tell what you will be seeing. But believe me , in a balcony it really won't matter - - the scenery is all great. Only trouble is - -You won't go back to anything else ! Enjoy!!!!

I really don't see what difference it makes whether you have a Port or Starborad side cabin.

I have always gone up on the top deck for sailaways to be with the party people. Also, it's the best place to be to wave to the people that are late or missing the ship.

I don't think I've ever stayed in my cabin for a sailaway yet so it never mattered which side of the ship I was on.

As others have stated, port side is merely the left side of the ship as you are facing forward (toward the front of the ship).

For many (including us) the aft balcony is the primo spot. We have always liked sitting and watching the wake. We've only had one aft balcony. It was for an Alaskan cruise last September and it was fantastic.

Other than that it really doesn't matter.

Charlie

Considering that every port is unique, you may end up facing the port even though you are technically on the starboard side of the ship. And then if you are tendering, it wont matter anyhow.

I agree with most, either side I dont care...as long as I have my balcony :)

KC Cruise addict

I will be on the starboard side as well. I was told by my TA it is the preferred side by cruisers. I will be also on the Glory 10/13/07. This will be my first cruise since I got married in 1993. And that cruise was a fog to me. So, I don't know what to expect. I am looking forward to this cruise.

Liz

KC Cruise addict

I will be on the starboard side as well. I was told by my TA it is the preferred side by cruisers. I will be also on the Glory 10/13/07. This will be my first cruise since I got married in 1993. And that cruise was a fog to me. So, I don't know what to expect. I am looking forward to this cruise.

Liz

Hi Liz,

:) Yeah! Another CC member joining us on the Glory...welcome! We have a roll call thread you should visit, as we are planning a meet and greet.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=431969

Since we'll be on the starboard side, we should have a great view of Florida as we leave the port and head to Nassau. I don't know how close we'll actually be to the islands we'll be passing by, but it looks like we're on the best side for island views if there are any to see. Are you getting an ocean view or a balcony? I am VERY familiar with this cruise and ship, since I was on the sister ship last year. (The Valor) If you have any questions, I'd be happy to help! ;)

We are so excited for this cruise and can hardly wait. :p

- Rhonda

Count me in with the "I don't care, as long as I have a balcony" group. I've been on both sides and don't have a preference. Someone, please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe, at least on Carnival ships, the port side cabins end in even numbers.

Since I really do not know anything about this, I am only going to go by what our friends told us to do when we booked our cruises together. We have connecting rooms on the Port side. He said because that is the side the ship docks on and we would see a lot more of the sights on that side.

Count me in with the "I don't care, as long as I have a balcony" group. I've been on both sides and don't have a preference. Someone, please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe, at least on Carnival ships, the port side cabins end in even numbers.

Hi Grits,

Yes, you are correct! Port side cabins are even...starboard is odd...which is where we'll be! :D

- Rhonda

Don't you know it's Port Out Starboard Home. :D

Seriously though this is a difficult question to answer. Except for an Inside, It really depends on the itinerary. (unless you are sailing from England to India and back ;) )

Hi Rhonda! Yep, that's where we'll be in 45 days, with our Harley lovin DH's! LOL! Looking forward to meeting you.

Did you see we have more bikers joining us? Lol! ;)

We are going to have a great time... What a wonderful bunch of people we get to meet!...this board is great!

TTFN! - Rhonda

Since I really do not know anything about this, I am only going to go by what our friends told us to do when we booked our cruises together. We have connecting rooms on the Port side. He said because that is the side the ship docks on and we would see a lot more of the sights on that side.

Pegs, I really hate to tell you this, but your friend is either pulling your leg, or terribly misinformed. Port side has nothing to do with what side you dock on. Looking forward toward the bow (front) of the ship, the port side is the LEFT side of the ship, and starboard is the right side. There's been plenty of times when we've been docked with the starboard side facing the port of call. In most ports of call, you won't know until you get there which side will be facing the dock.

I've only had port side staterooms, and this October we will have our first starboard stateroom, and first balcony as well! :cool:

:p So here are my questions...

What is the difference, except the obvious, that you most likely dock on the port side and would get to see the "port?"

Do you ever get to see the port on the starboard side?

Is there anyone on CC that requests a starboard side stateroom or do you all like port side better...and WHY? :confused:

Thanks in advance! - Rhonda

Port side is the left side of the ship and has nothing to do with facing the port. Depends on where you go and docking...In your case in St. Thomas there are only 3 ships in port that day. I will be on the Liberty. All 3 ships will be docked at Havensite Pier. Starboard side will face the dock and not the harbor and town. St. Marteen you will either be facing the ship docked next to you or the hill. Not the bay or town. In Nassau...if you dock on the right side of the pier (most of the time) you will be facing the port. If docked on the left side of the pier you will be looking in your neighboring ships cabins...

Go to www.cruisecal.com and enter sailing dates. It will show you all the ships in port with you.....Oh yes...in other ports it is best to be on the starboard side....just not these ports...

Archived