Packing ideas for Australia & NZ

mes531

What is necessary for a cruise from NZ around to Sydney. No problem with dress or evening...just the day to day. Will it be warm enough all the way or are heavier weights necessary. How about jeans on some tours, or too hot? Will I need a shawl at night?? Is white in?? Don't want to overpack.....Thanks!:confused:

What is necessary for a cruise from NZ around to Sydney. No problem with dress or evening...just the day to day. Will it be warm enough all the way or are heavier weights necessary. How about jeans on some tours, or too hot? Will I need a shawl at night?? Is white in?? Don't want to overpack.....Thanks!:confused:

February in Aus and NZ is typically very warm to hot. We can have some cooler days but definately not cold.

Jeans would not be necessary.

You may need a shawl at night in the public rooms because they can get very cold.

We do not have rules about when to wear white. I suspect you will see alot of white, it is our summer.

I hope this helps

Linda

Yes - that helps. Last year at the same time we went around Cape Horn and it got very cold. It looked like the weather would be much milder in NZ & Australia. Would a jacket be necessary? Is it very rainy?

Yes - that helps. Last year at the same time we went around Cape Horn and it got very cold. It looked like the weather would be much milder in NZ & Australia. Would a jacket be necessary? Is it very rainy?

It is likely to be dry in February.

The further South you go the cooler it will be. The South Island of New Zealand may get cooler at night and you may need a jacket. The same applies if you are cruising to Melbourne.

It can be rainy in the fiords in New Zealand. It is a bit of hit and miss. I have been to the fiords twice and the weather was beautiful.

Mostly I think the weather will be beautiful, warm and sunny.

I am sure you will enjoy your trip.

Welcome to Australia:D

Linda

How far south will the ship go? It can get quite chilly. I've been to Australia 6 times and the weather is quite unpredictable. One year we spent New Year's Eve in Tasmania and were so cold we had to go to the store to buy wool sweaters - sadly, they were sold out because of the cold snap.

So, you need to bring a bit of everything. Basically pack summer clothes but bring a couple of sweaters just in case. And definitely a rain jacket.

:) Great information! We start in Auckland on 2/14 and sail around NZ, then to Hobart, Melbourne and finish in Sydney! We are quite excited, but find if we have everything we need, it is just so much more enjoyable. I was thinking that it would get colder the farther south we would go, but not sure if the days would be considered cold....I am used to Florida, so alot of the times warm to someone else is cold to me! The information really helps! What about shoes for the tours? Again, I am a sandal type person, but not sure on sneakers, closed toe shoes?????:confused:

We went there last March. It was pretty hot in Sydney but if you're going to Fjordland National park definitely bring a jacket. It was pretty cool and a little drizzly there. Also at Hobart the wind was too strong for the ship to dock we ended up skipping it altogether.

Hobart is always windy and chilly - that's where we had to buy sweaters....rather tried to buy sweaters.

Footwear depends on your activity. If you're going be out on nature walks, then sturdy closed toe shoes would be best. But if you're staying mostly in the cities, such as Sydney, Melbourne, Hobart, then flat sandals are fine. They're also fine if you're going on winery tours.

You could hit 50 degree's in Hobart and 95 degree's in Sydney. I suggest layers that you can peel off during the day. And in both Melbourne and Sydney, they'll always tell you that if you don't like the weather, to wait 15 minutes and it'll change! ;)

I hope that you'll be extending your stay in Australia after your cruise and spending time in Melbourne or Sydney or some other great place and I hope your ship overnights in Melbourne. It would be a pity to travel that far and only spend one day there. Auckland is a snore and you can see the highlights in a day, so I'd suggest more post cruise days and less pre-cruise days. Sounds like your cruise is only south and you won't get up to the Great Barrier Reef or the tropical rainforest - perhaps you're going there after your cruise?

Actually, we plan on spending several pre cruise days in Auckland and will travel around that area first. I also am sorry we are not overnight in Melbourne, as it seems that would be a great overnight, especially to see the penquin march. But yes, we are staying in Sydney for 4 day post cruise. I know we want to travel outside the city as well as around the city. Any suggestions??

As to the sweater and warmer clothing..I will be prepared, and that is why I asked, I didn't want to be fooled by the average temperatures. The wind or rain will make it feel so much cooler.

Love all the information I am getting!:D :D

From Auckland, I'd suggest a trip to Rotorua. We drove, but I honestly don't recall the distance since we spent several nights in Rotorua. If you're not comfortable driving, then perhaps look into a tour that leaves from Auckland. It would be worth taking one that spent a night or two there so you can also see the Glow worm Caves, the Kiwi House and some of the other fascinating places along the way. The natural sights of NZ are quite overwhelming and awesome. Rotorua itself is very interesting with bubbling and gushing thermal geisers and Maori cultural centers. If you can get in a trip to Napier, that would be great too. It's an art deco city and architecturally is beautiful and fascinating. As I said in my first post, Auckland is a big snore and you can see the highlights in a day. BTW, the food in NZ is not a hightlight, and the best meals are the ethnic places, like indian or thai. NZ has some of the finest fish, lamb and vegetables in the world and they can ruin cooking them no one else can! Think the worst of British "cuisine". LOL!

Australia, on the other hand, has the best food in the world and I'd highly advise taking every opportunity to have a meal there. If you're into great food, Australia's the place.

I can't believe you'll miss the fairy penguins on Phillips Island off of Melbourne! What a shame! Your ship has failed you. Melbourne is the best city in Australia, IMHO, and has more to see and do than in Sydney. BTW, if your ship doesn't leave Melbourne til late at night, don't miss an opportunity to have dinner there.

For a few days in Sydney, you can spend each day visiting a different place - walk the Rocks area and see the various neighborhoods, take one of the boat tours around the city. They all leave from Circular Quay next to the Opera House. Take a tour of the opera house in the daytime and to to an opera in the evening if it's in season. Go to Manly Beach and Bondi Beach. Definitely go to the zoo. Shop at QVB - Queen Victoria Building - absolutely gorgeous and a "don't miss". You can arrange a winery tour - though the winery's outside of Melbourne and Adelaide are better, it's still interesting. You really have to look at some guidebooks or online and determine what you're interested in.

Enjoy! It's a great country!

I love your ideas..and I am going to spend time look into the area around Auckland. I had heard about the tours to see the glow worms, but wasn't sure what they were! Really appreciate all this great information..Thanks again, Mary

You're welcome!

The glow worm caves are wonderful. You take a canoe with a guide though black caves which are lit only by the glow worms that are attached to the ceiling of the cave. Quite awesome!

Jane - did you take a tour?? Who did you use, or did you book through hotel?? Was it cold in the cave?? Was there a cafe around or did you have to make meal arrangements ahead of time? Thanks again!:cool:

Archived