Buying jewelry in Hawaii??

Marie-Claude

I know that there's a lot more than shopping to do in Hawaii, but my brother and his wife will be cruising with us shortly, and he wants to buy his wife a nice ring as a souvenir for their first cruise, and their 5th anniversary.

What island would be best for jewelry shopping?

THanks!

MC

I buy mine in Maui or Honolulu. You will find the largest selection in those two locations.

Everyone has their favorite place but I have always have very good luck and excellent service from NaHoku Jewelers. You can find them on Maui both in downtown Lahaina and at Whalers Village (Kaanapali) and in Honolulu at the Ala Moana Center.

You can take a look at what they have to offer at their website - nahoku dot com.

I have been shopping with them for many, many years.

Hope your brother finds something really nice for his wife! Enjoy your trip! Aloha!!

• Administrators

One extremely popular place to buy jewelery is Maui Divers (http://www.mauidivers.com/), and we spent a bit of time window shopping there. They are heavily advertised and have some connections to the cruiselines -- your brother should look at the dailies on his cruise for coupons, etc. They have some very nice pieces -- I couldn't swear by their prices being the "lowest," or "best bargain," but some of their stuff makes me drool! :)

Another place we shopped during our cruise was Jim Saylor on Kauai (Princeville, Kapa'a and the Hilton) -- that store had some really incredible pieces.

We're not wild about Maui Divers, but many people like them quite a bit.

As for what to look for, I suggest he consider buying her a lovely piece of real Hawaiian Heritage jewelry. That is something you really can't find elsewhere.

Here are a few links to sites with information about it:

http://www.rhhj.com/

http://www.islandergifts.com/hawaiian-jewelry.html

http://www.hawaiianjewelrystyle.com/hawaiian-heritage-jewelry.htm

You can find less expensive "pressed" designs and similar items, but a piece of really fine Hawaiian Heritage jewelry, while costing a pretty penny, is something to cherish for a lifetime.

beachchick

Hi Marie-Claude,

So now that you've got the good places to go shopping, I've printed them all and put the list on my husband's desk! If he doesn't get the "picture", he'll get the "bill" from the purchase I'll make in Hawaii on his credit card:D. Love those plumeria jewels and the black pearls too.

Duh! I guess I could have put the actual link in for NaHoku!

www.nahoku.com

Note that they do manufacture all of their Hawaiian jewelry in the islands. (I mention that because they do sell other jewelry like LeVian, Abscher, etc as well - which obviously isn't "Hawaiian").

I agree with beachchick, Hawaiian Heritage jewelry is a nice option, too. Several years ago, I got a ring that was a bust of Princess Kekauluohi. She has waves breaking over her the top of her breasts, long flowing hair with a hibiscus above her ear. It is a gorgeous ring. It is a part of the HH princess/queen collection. I mention that because most people think of just band style rings when they think of HH jewelry. That definitely IS the traditional HH jewelry - but they do make other styles as well.

Gosh - so much jewelry...so many restaurants...

(beachchick, when are you moving over there? I'm thinking I can do it in 2009)

Allo Vana!!

I think it's so romantic of my brother to want to surprise his wife with a piece of jewelry... he plotted with my Mom this weekend to have me take my SIL do 'something' while he takes my Mom shopping to select something for her!!

I hope your hubby is as romantic!! But it sounds like you have a good plan if he isn't ;) .

Beach4me

Thanks for the link! That ring you bought sure sounds interesting! I love buying jewelry as souvenir as everytime you wear it you can truly relive memorable moments...

MC

Duh! I guess I could have put the actual link in for NaHoku!

www.nahoku.com

Note that they do manufacture all of their Hawaiian jewelry in the islands. (I mention that because they do sell other jewelry like LeVian, Abscher, etc as well - which obviously isn't "Hawaiian").

I agree with beachchick, Hawaiian Heritage jewelry is a nice option, too. Several years ago, I got a ring that was a bust of Princess Kekauluohi. She has waves breaking over her the top of her breasts, long flowing hair with a hibiscus above her ear. It is a gorgeous ring. It is a part of the HH princess/queen collection. I mention that because most people think of just band style rings when they think of HH jewelry. That definitely IS the traditional HH jewelry - but they do make other styles as well.

Gosh - so much jewelry...so many restaurants...

(beachchick, when are you moving over there? I'm thinking I can do it in 2009)

Ooh, that is so great. We would like to move there, but there are too many things in our way. Unless something crazy happens, like some long lost uncle leaving us millions, we'll be staying here in CA on the central coast. We really can't complain. It's beautiful here too--but you can bet we do not go in the ocean (our late summer water temps are 52 right now).

I hope you can work it out. That would be lovely.:D

beachchick

Archived