Ever booked a cruise while still on one??

Texaslandshark

:confused:Found out I goofed and put this on Roll Calls..Oh well. The questions I have are: Is there any advantage to booking your next cruise with Carnival on ship vs. waiting and going home to do so? Also, do repeat Carnival cruisers generally get some sort of discount, upgrade, or just what? Thanks

I'm not 100% positive about Carnival as this cruise coming up will be my first one with them in 10 years. However, I know with Princess that you don't have to book a specific date with them while onboard. You can simply place deposit with them for a future cruise. The deposit, called a "future cruise credit" is usually $100 pp for a 7 night cruise which is less than the standard $250pp if you book while not on the cruise. You also get SBC's (amount varies depending on length of cruise and cabin category you book). This is good for 4 years from the date of the deposit. When you decide on a cruise you can have your $100pp future cruise credit placed against whatever specific cruise you decide on. If you don't use it within the specified amount of time they give you your money back.

I would guess that Carnival also has something like this because most of us don't know that far ahead of time when/where we might want or be able to cruise next. This allows flexibility along with a reduced deposit and SBC's. I would ask Carnival about it.

As far as I have read Carnival does not have this as an option on it's ships. I have seen once or twice that they are testing it on a ship here and there but not with any consistency. So you could book a cruise while on a cruise but you would have to go online in the internet cafe and book it at carnival.com and you wouldn't get anything you can't normally get...

I'm not 100% positive about Carnival as this cruise coming up will be my first one with them in 10 years. However, I know with Princess that you don't have to book a specific date with them while onboard. You can simply place deposit with them for a future cruise. The deposit, called a "future cruise credit" is usually $100 pp for a 7 night cruise which is less than the standard $250pp if you book while not on the cruise. You also get SBC's (amount varies depending on length of cruise and cabin category you book). This is good for 4 years from the date of the deposit. When you decide on a cruise you can have your $100pp future cruise credit placed against whatever specific cruise you decide on. If you don't use it within the specified amount of time they give you your money back.

I would guess that Carnival also has something like this because most of us don't know that far ahead of time when/where we might want or be able to cruise next. This allows flexibility along with a reduced deposit and SBC's. I would ask Carnival about it.

Carnival doesn't have this feature, RCI copied Princess program almost to the T and they have one called Future Cruise Program (I think that is the correct name) NCL had/has one on specific ships, when we went on the Jewel I was told they didn't have a program on that ship.

That is one reason we stick with Princess - an extra $100.00 of shipboard credit is always nice.

we were told by our ta that carnival initiated a policy early this year that no matter where, how or with who you book, that days price is the same. perks, however are different.

the only way the standard consumer can get a good price now is when the across the board price is low. our cruises published rates have gone up somewhat since we booked.

There is a new program called "Sail Into the Future". We were offered this on our Legend cruise this summer and someone else posted that they had it on the Valor. It is basically $100 OBC for putting a $100 deposit on a future cruise (don't have to pick the date or ship). I'm not sure if it is just a pilot program or is offered fleet wide. Check out this thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=574635

:confused:Found out I goofed and put this on Roll Calls..Oh well. The questions I have are: Is there any advantage to booking your next cruise with Carnival on ship vs. waiting and going home to do so? Also, do repeat Carnival cruisers generally get some sort of discount, upgrade, or just what? Thanks

Cruise lines will tell you there is an advantage to book while on another cruise. Repeat cruisers usually get an upgrade or a discount, or I could just be lucky.

My rule of thumb, when you see a cruise you want to go on book it as soon as possible. Then you couldn't be shut out of a trip you would really like to go on.

we were told by our ta that carnival initiated a policy early this year that no matter where, how or with who you book, that days price is the same. perks, however are different.

the only way the standard consumer can get a good price now is when the across the board price is low. our cruises published rates have gone up somewhat since we booked.

The policy is they can't advertise lower prices, you can get lower prices through a discount agency

We sometimes book onboard for the OBC and then come home and let a TA take over the booking. Sometimes we are lucky and they have a discount or excursion to throw in for free. It is always worth the try. If the TA is not offering anything then we just stick with the booking as we have it booked.

As far as I have read Carnival does not have this as an option on it's ships. I have seen once or twice that they are testing it on a ship here and there but not with any consistency. So you could book a cruise while on a cruise but you would have to go online in the internet cafe and book it at carnival.com and you wouldn't get anything you can't normally get...

OK and thanks to you and all who answered so far......

I guess I was referring to somethimg I thought Carnival had on-board...like a travel agency/promo for their cruises. (What better time to book the next one??? Folks are half drunk and having a great time (Hey Honey, let's book another.) I can see myself in that picture anyway. And also, I think I saw something on some Carnival Capers for the conquest as an activity called the CArnival Vacation Club.

There is a new program called "Sail Into the Future". We were offered this on our Legend cruise this summer and someone else posted that they had it on the Valor. It is basically $100 OBC for putting a $100 deposit on a future cruise (don't have to pick the date or ship). I'm not sure if it is just a pilot program or is offered fleet wide. Check out this thread:

Thankyou very much. I like that...."Sail into the Future"....very nice.

Yes, it must be a pilot program they are testing on specific ships. It wasnt offered on my Destiny cruise last week.

Archived