Pan Am Pier????

JJHNLC

We have a question regarding what there is to do in San Juan. We are going to be on the Explorer of the Seas, docking in San Juan at Pan American Pier. We were wondering what there is to do in walking distance of the Pier or if there are any beaches close by? How far is Condado Beach from the Pier? Thanks for any info you can offer.

The Pan Am pier is a bit off by itself, and the area surrounding it is not pedestrian friendly (to say the least). I don't know about beaches, but a very short (5-6 minute) cab ride will put you in the heart of Old San Juan, a very historic area.

Just a question. Are you sure you will be at the Pan Am pier? The last two times we were on the Explorer we docked at Old San Juan pier. If you would be at Old San Juan, it will be much easier.

I am not sure now, but when I checked the map of San Juan it shows where each cruise line docks their ships. But maybe its incorrect. Thanks for the info, I will try to find out for sure.

Just a question. Are you sure you will be at the Pan Am pier? The last two times we were on the Explorer we docked at Old San Juan pier. If you would be at Old San Juan, it will be much easier.

I am not sure now, but when I checked the piers in San Juan it shows when each cruise line docks their ships. But maybe its incorrect. Thanks for the info, I will try to find out for sure.

I am not really sure it matters what it says on the itinerary. When we docked in St Thomas in Feb it said Charlotte Amalie and we actually docked in Haverstraw. Here it says San Juan for the Explorer on our Holiday cruise but I am not sure which pier. I am hoping the one in walking distance to San Juan and not the Pan Am pier which is where we docked in Feb otherwise we may not get off the ship to pay for a cab ride into Old San Juan just to walk around and maybe eat dinner.

I know that someone will correct me if I am wrong here, so, thanks in advance. My understanding is the Pan Am Pier is used for those starting and ending the cruise in San Juan. The pier at Old San Juan if for those docking for the day in the middle of their sailing.

I know that someone will correct me if I am wrong here, so, thanks in advance. My understanding is the Pan Am Pier is used for those starting and ending the cruise in San Juan. The pier at Old San Juan if for those docking for the day in the middle of their sailing.

that is interesting. When we were on the Adverture in Feb it was the Pan Am Pier. I am hoping when we dock for the few hours on the Explorer it is within walking distance to the town so we don't have to pay cab fare. Since we were just there we are not that excited about San Juan but if we can walk maybe we will walk around for dinner.

Hi

If you dock at the Pan Am pier, you can easily get a taxi into Old San Juan or to the beach say at Isla Verde.

If you have not been to Old San Juan - consider getting dropped off near El Morro fort - tour the fort, then make your way back downhill through Old San Juan - poinbts of interest include:

The Cathedral, Governors mansion, San Juan Gate, Paseo La Princesa.

restaurants worth considering:

La Bombinera, Tapas bar at El Convento (opposite the cathedral), Tanta, parrot club, aquaviva.

This San Juan post at my blog gives a bit more info

http://www.visit-the-coqui.com/2007/06/what-will-the-weather-be-like-in-puerto-rico/

Hope you have a great cruise

That is my understanding as well and I have never personally heard or seen anything to the contrary.

Hi

If you dock at the Pan Am pier, you can easily get a taxi into Old San Juan or to the beach say at Isla Verde.

If you have not been to Old San Juan - consider getting dropped off near El Morro fort - tour the fort, then make your way back downhill through Old San Juan - poinbts of interest include:

The Cathedral, Governors mansion, San Juan Gate, Paseo La Princesa.

restaurants worth considering:

La Bombinera, Tapas bar at El Convento (opposite the cathedral), Tanta, parrot club, aquaviva.

This San Juan post at my blog gives a bit more info

http://www.visit-the-coqui.com/2007/06/what-will-the-weather-be-like-in-puerto-rico/

Hope you have a great cruise

Thanks for all the information on the restaurants. We went to Aquaviva in February and did not love it although it had great decor. I would love to try the Tapas bar at El Convento this time, but like I said as long as it is in walking distance to the ship.

It is El Picoteo and is located in the courtyard of the El Convento. If at night the 350+ year old picoteo tree is lit up as well as the other trees and landscaping in the courtyard. Very nice. The tapas were very very good. I especially enjoyed the ceviche made with Chilean Sea Bass. Also the lobster empanadas and the calamari were extremely good. It was all good. DH and I each got a few and then we shared (which is what you are supposed to do with tapas :) )

All that said..... it is only about $ 6.00 for a taxi into old SJ from Pan Am pier..... in my opinion worth every penny !!!

It is El Picoteo and is located in the courtyard of the El Convento. If at night the 350+ year old picoteo tree is lit up as well as the other trees and landscaping in the courtyard. Very nice. The tapas were very very good. I especially enjoyed the ceviche made with Chilean Sea Bass. Also the lobster empanadas and the calamari were extremely good. It was all good. DH and I each got a few and then we shared (which is what you are supposed to do with tapas :) )

All that said..... it is only about $ 6.00 for a taxi into old SJ from Pan Am pier..... in my opinion worth every penny !!!

There are 4 of us 2 adults and my 18 year old and 14 year old. I would love to have some good tapas and I keep hearing it is very good there. Is it only $6.00 for a taxi for 4 that I could deal with.....not $20.00

Archived