What's your opinion on Freestyle Dining?

pezgirl43

Tweet Tweet.

I don't care about same table, same time, same tablemates, same staff ...

Maybe I haven't had those waiters that 'get to know me and my preferences' that so many on these boards speak so highly of, but I don't think I'm losing anything with Anytime by switching servers.

Can't speak as to NCL's implementation, but waiting was not an issue on Princess. "competing for seats" does not at all describe our experience. No risk, only reward. Met different people, sat in different places in different dining rooms, had different servers most nights (just like I would have had at home!)

I have to come back to this because it perplexes me: what is this same-server, personalized service business? I've not experienced it. What's the special touch here, being greeted by name, having ice tea at the ready, or what??

all legimate and that's your personal preferences. Just providing the alternative opinion to the person who posted it.

Obviously a lot of people like free-style. But obviously a lot of others don't.

We generally are large enough group that we don't have other table mates. But when we do, it's never been a problem. In fact, we've really met great people that way. And there IS a real advantage to the wait staff being with you all week, learning your personal preferences, working for your tip at the end of the week. if you have different staff every night, you lose that incentive. There is definitely personalized service. We've witnessed it. My kids have certain preferences. By the second night, the waiter already has what they want waiting for them when we are seated. We don't have to ask for the same thing every night from different people. Same with me. I like a certain drink before dinner. my last waiter had it coming to me within a minute of sitting down for my last 3 nights. That was great. But if you're not taking RCL, I'm not surprised you don't see the difference in service. What can I say? It's noticeable on RCL.

So yeah, there are advantages. And if you don't want people at your table, get a table for 2! If you don't care for personalized service, bully for you! go on NCL then! That's your choice. So much the better for us, since we would never sail them.

We're just providing the other side of the coin.

...And there IS a real advantage to the wait staff being with you all week, learning your personal preferences, working for your tip at the end of the week. if you have different staff every night, you lose that incentive. There is definitely personalized service. We've witnessed it. My kids have certain preferences. By the second night, the waiter already has what they want waiting for them when we are seated. We don't have to ask for the same thing every night from different people. Same with me. I like a certain drink before dinner. my last waiter had it coming to me within a minute of sitting down for my last 3 nights. That was great. But if you're not taking RCL, I'm not surprised you don't see the difference in service. What can I say? It's noticeable on RCL.

OK, so the personalized service is having your drinks ready for you?

I have been on RC and don't recall any special touches by the waitstaff. Maybe it's because we don't order drinks and just have water?

Service on Princess was fine - there was no discernable 'downgrade' but I wonder if it's because of the drink thing??

I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'm really trying to figure out what it is that same server every night gets you - is it something beyond the drinks?

I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'm really trying to figure out what it is that same server every night gets you - is it something beyond the drinks?

Speaking for myself only, it is that the server in traditional dining has our wine glasses on the table (we drink red with dinner every evening and will send a bottle to the dining room prior to be decanted) when we arrive, as well as items in particular we enjoy. On Celebrity, it would be fresh breadsticks perhaps, that are there without asking for them. Also, a regular server will know after a couple of dinners that I order all my dishes without sauces, that I enjoy veggies and am happy to have those that are being served with other entrees added to my plate in place of starches, that I like an espresso after dinner, that I will not be needing a dessert menu, etc. It makes the experience nice, IMO, if one enjoys those little niceties. :)

I am personally a big fan of open dining on the lines that do it very well but feel that, based on my experiences with NCL, it is not something I look forward to with anticipation. Since we dine at the extra cost restaurants every evening when on an NCL ship as that is our preference, it is a bit of a hassle having to make a reservation the day of or within 24 hours or whatever the newest set of rules require. We avoid the free restaurants based on our experience and preferences.

The implementation of Freestyle/Anytime/As You Wish is different from line to line. And it really just a matter of personal tastes for each of us.

Speaking for myself only, it is that the server in traditional dining has our wine glasses on the table (we drink red with dinner every evening and will send a bottle to the dining room prior to be decanted) when we arrive, as well as items in particular we enjoy. On Celebrity, it would be fresh breadsticks perhaps, that are there without asking for them. Also, a regular server will know after a couple of dinners that I order all my dishes without sauces, that I enjoy veggies and am happy to have those that are being served with other entrees added to my plate in place of starches, that I like an espresso after dinner, that I will not be needing a dessert menu, etc. It makes the experience nice, IMO, if one enjoys those little niceties. :)

Thank you, that helps a lot! Appreciate your post - made it much clearer for me.

I think maybe I'm not one that notices these things. Maybe it's that I don't have any "I never..." or "I always" -type things. Nothing for a server to latch onto.

I agree with you that each line will implement "Anytime/Freestyle" it in its own way.

We have done "freestyle" 4 times - twice on NCL and twice on Princess. Although we liked the concept, we had very varied experiences.

Our first time was on the NCl Sky (a.k.a. Pride of America) was a disaster due to long wait itme, poor service and cold food. We fibnally reserved a specific table at a specific time. The service improved, but the wait and cold food did not.

Our second time, on the NCL Spirit, was great. Good service, hot food and not much wait to be seated.

Our experiences on Princess mirrored those on NCL. Personal Style Dining worked well on the Grand Princess, but was awful on the Sun Princess.

Therefore as much as i like the conept, I would rather have traditional dining as I have never had a really bad experience in over 25 cruises.

Archived