Sitka - on own or tour?

Wyldboy72

Next week we leave for Alaska on the Holland America Amsterdam! We've booked excursions in all the ports except Sitka. Is this a town we can do on our own? or should we book at tour? Any suggestions on what to see/do there?

Also, anyone know if the helicopter/glacier dog sled tours are still running in Juneau? We're booked on one with crossed fingers!

Thanks!

This is an extremely wonderful self guided city to consider. The Raptor Center, Sitka National Park, etc are great places to walk to. If there are mobility limitations there is an all day shuttle, last reported price $10.

But, fantastic here are the boat tours, and the only place to get close up viewing of puffins on the inside passage, if of interest. Varied wildlife including sea otters, and humpbacks.

http://www.sitka.org

As always, it depends on your specific interests (and budget), but Sitka is THE port to take a marine wildlife cruise. We were in on the Amsterdam 3 weeks ago, and went out with Captain Davey - I've posted a review and photos at http://www.youralaskacruise.com/reviews/2007/page4.html As as been mentioned, though, there is lots to do in town.

Murray

Sitka's our favorite port! As others have said, it's walkable and it's a lovely little town. We chose to tour with Captain Davey when we were there earlier this month. It was a fantastic day with a lot of wildlife sitings. As BQ said, it's the place to see puffins! We saw more puffins than I've ever seen at one time and it was great! There's a link to photos in my signature.

If you're interested, Davey's Web site is http://www.puffinsandwhales.com, though you may find he's booked solid at this point--his boat carries only six passengers.

Have a great cruise!

Jayne

I agree Sitka can be done on your own and we loved it. We walked to the Raptor Center in the morning and then came back in time for an afternoon tour with Captain Davey. It was absolutely the most awesome adventure with him! (besides the dog sledding in Juneau with Coastal) :D :rolleyes: :) :p

There was basically nothing to do in the town if you do not do an excusion.

That's almost funny - between totems and museums and raptors and forest walks and a bit of shopping, the average person will have no problem filling a day at minimal cost.

There was basically nothing to do in the town if you do not do an excusion. We did Capt Davey and it was womderful Read Midimarv's review. It was indeed our best on the entire trip.

???????

I'm with Yukon on this one. Throw in the Russian Orthadox Church, The New Archangel and Native Dancers, the $10 hop-on, hop-off bus and its small size, Sitka is probably the easiest of the Alaska ports to do on your own.

On a side note, does anyone ever use the Search function anymore? It seems to me that within the last month there's been at least three separate threads asking the same question.

There was basically nothing to do in the town if you do not do an excusion. We did Capt Davey and it was womderful Read Midimarv's review. It was indeed our best on the entire trip.

Wow we must have been in a different town! We walked to the Totem park and Raptor center, explored the Russian Orthodox church, enjoyed a performance by the New Archangel dancers, watched a wood carving demonstration, bought fresh blueberry muffins from a local bake sale and found a shop with the best local jams and imported Russian teas. We didn't even have time to make it to one of the museums. We're saving that for next time.

Archived