Currency for tipping?

Bunkie103

We'll be on the QM2 Westbound on 9/22. Wondering if past guests might suggest which currency they thought was best for tipping? We've always added some extra cash for our dining room servers and our room steward, but not sure if dollars or pounds would be best to use. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

We'll be on the QM2 Westbound on 9/22. Wondering if past guests might suggest which currency they thought was best for tipping? We've always added some extra cash for our dining room servers and our room steward, but not sure if dollars or pounds would be best to use. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

They will be glad to accept any currency, but I think US Dollars would be first choice followed be Euros, then Pounds. There is only one outlet for Pounds, i.e. UK but many for the other currencies.

They will be glad to accept any currency, but I think US Dollars would be first choice followed be Euros, then Pounds. There is only one outlet for Pounds, i.e. UK but many for the other currencies.

I think it really depends on what the ship is doing next. On TA's it really isn't much use tipping in Euros, but on a Med cruise dollars are a bit of a waste of time I'd guess.

Perhaps this is something someone ought to try and find out!

Matthew

I would suggest tipping in a hard currency, like the British Pound.:D

Seriously, I always tip in dollars as a lot of the staff are from countries where the dollar is king and they send it home to their families.

When asked in advance of direct tipping our cabin stewards expressed a preference for dollar or euro. No one seemed to want the £, despite weak dollar/pound exchange rates.

That aside, any 'hard' currency is, literally, cash in hand and will be welcome. Crew have their own exchange systems which are more satisfactory than anything the banks are able to offer.........:)

I'm sure the purser's office will exchange it for them at some usurious exchange rate!

I was going to ask if it would be preferable to receive in British pounds since it is so much better than the dollar right now (assuming the ship was going near UK soon)

Karie,

who will have to figure out all this exchange stuff soon, before my April corssing to Soton, then over to paris and return. First thought, How much will I need? AGGH! too much like thinking!

Karie,

who will have to figure out all this exchange stuff soon, before my April corssing to Soton, then over to paris and return. First thought, How much will I need? AGGH! too much like thinking!

It's very easy. Two dollars per pound.

Long may it last!

Matthew

Long may it last!

Matthew

Nah! We still use paper money over here. It doesn't weigh that much!

I mean how much of each currency to take with me, where to get it (bank, or where)

I have no clue how much to get, or whether I should use my credit card for hotel and such.

Or maybe I should just pop over to Matthew's place. I hear it's an old place- <G>

Karie,

innocent in Paris ..and London.....and Wherever else.

Nah! We still use paper money over here. It doesn't weigh that much!

I mean how much of each currency to take with me, where to get it (bank, or where)

I have no clue how much to get, or whether I should use my credit card for hotel and such.

Or maybe I should just pop over to Matthew's place. I hear it's an old place- <G>

Karie,

innocent in Paris ..and London.....and Wherever else.

I was advised to use an ATM card rather than exchange all of my money into pounds. When you go to the airport I would bet there is a Travelex there so you can exchange some money to get you started. AAA has starter packs, but their prices were outrageous. Be sure to inform your credit card companies if you plan to use your card out of the USA, so they don't block it.

Check with your credit card companies about transaction fees and foreign (non-network) ATM fees before you leave. I found that my cards charged a wide range (1-3%) of foreign currency transaction fees which can really add up especially on a hotel bill (or wild shopping trip).

For cash use your ATM card once you arrive at the foreign airport, but once again, check with your bank about the fees. Visa charges $4 for an ATM withdrawal in another country, but my Credit Union doesn't charge a fee and will reimburse me for the other bank's ATM fees! It's nice to have a little currency before leaving just in case of an ATM problem, but the fees are really high and it may have to be special ordered, depending on where you live.

I second the advice about letting your bank know you'll be using your card in unusual (for you) places. The account manager I talked to put a note in my account info with where I'm going to be and when so my card won't be deactivated due to suspicious activity while I'm gone and they can't reach me by phone.

Julia

Of course you realize that you will be charged for daily gratuities on your onboard account. ( $11 per person per day for Britannia Restaurant category and $13 per person per day for Grill category)

The gratuities will cover your restaurant waiters, cabin stewards, and others who have contact with you. A 15% tip for liquor and soft drink service in the restaurants and bars is added to your account with your signature.

If you plan to carry a lot of cash, be sure to keep it in the safe in your room.

Bon Voyage..........Terrence

Of course you realize that you will be charged for daily gratuities on your onboard account. ( $11 per person per day for Britannia Restaurant category and $13 per person per day for Grill category)

The gratuities will cover your restaurant waiters, cabin stewards, and others who have contact with you. A 15% tip for liquor and soft drink service in the restaurants and bars is added to your account with your signature.

If you plan to carry a lot of cash, be sure to keep it in the safe in your room.

Bon Voyage..........Terrence

We've always found we wanted to leave a little something above and beyond the $11pp daily amount. Every cruise we've been on the service has been excellent and it's fun for us to reward the servers.

Long may it last!

Matthew

Many long years ago we used to call half a crown (2 shillings & sixpence in what some old timers still call "the old money") half a dollar. Harking back to times when the Pound really was worth something.

As there were eight half crowns in a pound, that made four dollars to the pound. Funny, we used to manage our money with no problems, with 12 pennies to the shilling, 20 shillings to the pound. And coins like the farthing (quarter of a penny) and the silver sixpence.

Drifting must stop!!

David.

Archived