What's worth seeing in Kona?

el820

We'll be porting in Kona for one day (about 11hours), as part or our cruise itinerary. What else is there to do besides the Waikoloa beach or a historic tour of Kona, that I can find online?

If we decide to go to the beach, is there a cheap way to get to Waikoloa Beach? Tour transfers charge $29 pp for the transfer...kind of pricey in my books.

Thanks

We went snorkeling on Hula Kai out of Keauhou Bay, 5 miles south of Kailua-Kona. We took a cab, which I think was $30 one way, and I thought that was a bit high. On the way back we shared a cab with another couple who happened to also be from our ship, so that helped cut down the cost a little bit. They had also experienced the high cab cost and suggested we share our return ride. Our snorkel trip was great, at least!

There are several small beahes in Kona. The most famous one is Kahulu'u, but you will need transportation as it is about 4 miles. Might want to rent a car if you want to get out of Kona.

You can visit gohawaii.com

Konaweb.com

• Administrators
We went snorkeling on Hula Kai out of Keauhou Bay, 5 miles south of Kailua-Kona. We took a cab, which I think was $30 one way, and I thought that was a bit high. On the way back we shared a cab with another couple who happened to also be from our ship, so that helped cut down the cost a little bit. They had also experienced the high cab cost and suggested we share our return ride. Our snorkel trip was great, at least!

Ooooh! Vfin, have you written a review yet? Please do -- I've seen a few posts from you today and it sounds like you had a wonderful trip, and here you did the Hula Kai which is on our list for our next land-based trip to the BI. I loved the snorkeling at Kealakekua Bay on the Fair Wind -- can't wait to see where the Hula Kai goes! Welcome home!

I loved my visit to the Ocean Rider Seahorse Farm! It was a fascinating visit. It's out by the airport. If you're there on a Sunday, you'll need to take the ship's excursion as they are closed to the public on Sunday. On the other days of the week, you'll need to check their schedule.

You get to stick your hands into the tanks and have the seahorses wrap their tails around your fingers. You can feel them purring. It is SO cool!

If you go, wear short sleeves and don't wear sunscreen. You will have to scrub your arms up to above your elbows. Still better to just not put sunscreen on your arms until after you leave the place.

There are only 5 seahorse farms in the world. Probably the only time you'll ever get to visit one. Check out their website.

No water sport for me. I can't swim :(

The seahorse farm might be a good idea, I think my 2 yrs old kid will enjoy that.

A 5 mile taxi ride for $30 does seem expensive. We might just rent a car and drive to the most southern point of the USA. Anyone done the drive from Kona? How is the drive? I think there is a black sand beach along the way.

Southpoint is at least to hours, sometimes more, depending on traffic.

Punalu'u Beach is actually past Southpoint as you turn and head back north towards Hilo.

The first hour or so of the drive takes you past many coffee farms.

Waikoloa beach is well over 20 miles from Kona. It's a 40+ minute drive, so no, there is no inexpensive way to get there except to rent a car or try to share a taxi or something with others.

beachchick

Thanks for all the replies.

I guess that explains the $29pp transfer fee a tour operator charges. Our best bet is probably just rent a car and drive around, unless there is something to do nearby the pier.

I am trying to decide which rafting trip to take to Kealakekua and Place of Refuge. NCLA has exclusive access to Capt Zodiak when POA, POH and POAl are in port. The other companies have the same itinerary but leave from Keauhou Beach, several miles south of Kailua-Kona, and the check in times are 745-800am. Since the ship isn't scheduled to arrive until 700am there will be less than 1 hour to tender in and travel down to Keahou Beach. I am concerned that there will not be enough time.

Has anyone tendered in at 700am and made it to Keahou Beach before 800am?

• Administrators
I am trying to decide which rafting trip to take to Kealakekua and Place of Refuge. NCLA has exclusive access to Capt Zodiak when POA, POH and POAl are in port. The other companies have the same itinerary but leave from Keauhou Beach, several miles south of Kailua-Kona, and the check in times are 745-800am. Since the ship isn't scheduled to arrive until 700am there will be less than 1 hour to tender in and travel down to Keahou Beach. I am concerned that there will not be enough time.

Has anyone tendered in at 700am and made it to Keahou Beach before 800am?

Yes, lots of us have. I reported on my experience in my review, linked below (we chose Fair Wind because a zodiac just wouldn't work for us, we wanted a catamaran), and Slightlysilly is there this week planning the same thing (I SAID I'd be keeping her in my thoughts and hoping it goes great for her too)!

If you do a search here with "Kona" and "snorkel," limit it to the Hawaii Ports of Call board, and limit it to the last three months (the search buttons are at the top of the screen) you will find lots of good information to help you decide.

I should add that as far as I know, neither Captain Zodiac, the Fair Wind, or the Sea Quest visit both Kealakekua Bay and the Place of Refuge. As far as travel from the tender pier in Kona to Keauhou, it's about a $20 cab ride ($25 with tip) each way -- you can ask your driver to pick you up after the snorkel trip, they are WELL acquainted with the times, etc. Our tender left the POH at 7:15 and we were at Keauhou by 7:45 AM -- plenty of time for the check-in -- and in fact they accepted checkins continuously even after 8 AM.

Thanks for all the good info - I have "nightmares" ;) about missing the boat or being bumped from the first tender by PAX tha booked NCL excursions. www.seaquesthawaii.com visits both Kealakekua bay and Hanaunau bay on their morning trip and that is part of why I am leaning toward them. They all have afternoon trips as well but despite what they say, I think the weather will not be as good in the pm.

• Administrators
Thanks for all the good info - I have "nightmares" ;) about missing the boat or being bumped from the first tender by PAX tha booked NCL excursions. www.seaquesthawaii.com visits both Kealakekua bay and Hanaunau bay on their morning trip and that is part of why I am leaning toward them. They all have afternoon trips as well but despite what they say, I think the weather will not be as good in the pm.

Afternoon trips also raise the concern of getting back to your ship on time, assuming Kona is a one day port call. Plus, snorkeling is virtually always better in the morning -- as winds pick up during the day (even on a beautiful day) the water can get cloudy.

According to Seaquest's web site http://web.mac.com/sqhawaii/iWeb/seaquesthawaii.net/Home.html

their am tour does go to Place of Refudge and Kealakekua Bay. They also use smaller rafts for getting inside a cave or lava tube. Don't know if they are high speed like CZ. You can almost save enough to pay for the cab if you book online. I also read in a previous post about a free shuttle that leaves the tender pier area at 7:30 and goes to Keauhou. I have swapped a few emails with them and Annie has been very helpful with directions and tour questions. Now, if I could just decide on the am or pm tour!

• 1 month later...

Take the Historic Kona tour through Roberts Hawaii. It is only $19 each and you visit a coffee plantation, see Captain Cook's memorial, visit the Place of Refuge (AWESOME!!), and the church with the painted murals on the walls. It was totally worth the price and was an enjoyable experience. We were back to the pier with plenty of time to spare. We then took a free shuttle to a shopping center down the road from the pier, but from there we walked across the street from that shopping center and went to the flea market (swap meet?). We got lots of neat things here, the hand made leis are to die for and very cheap. Better than Chinatown on Oahu. There are lots of jewelry bargains here too. We missed the last shuttle back to the pier but it is only a few blocks and we just walked back to the pier with plenty of time to spare. The tour bus stopped at all the stops and we had plenty of time to explore each. This is the same Historic tour offered on the ship but about half price.

Take the Historic Kona tour through Roberts Hawaii. It is only $19 each and you visit a coffee plantation, see Captain Cook's memorial, visit the Place of Refuge (AWESOME!!), and the church with the painted murals on the walls. It was totally worth the price and was an enjoyable experience. We were back to the pier with plenty of time to spare. We then took a free shuttle to a shopping center down the road from the pier, but from there we walked across the street from that shopping center and went to the flea market (swap meet?). We got lots of neat things here, the hand made leis are to die for and very cheap. Better than Chinatown on Oahu. There are lots of jewelry bargains here too. We missed the last shuttle back to the pier but it is only a few blocks and we just walked back to the pier with plenty of time to spare. The tour bus stopped at all the stops and we had plenty of time to explore each. This is the same Historic tour offered on the ship but about half price.

Is that "flea market" only certain days of the week or everyday?

Sounds like a nice day. We are renting a car and doing about the same thing. But we have 4 of us so the price works out better.

Glass Bottom Boat

http://www.konaglassbottomboat.com/factsht.htm

We depart Kailua Pier hourly, commencing at 10:30am. We are available for private parties, family gatherings, weddings, sunset cruises, exclusive whale watches (in season) and other special functions upon request. We can carry up to 24 passengers comfortably.

If you would like to arrange a special event or gathering, E-mail, call or write to:

Captain Ralph Jewell

P.O. Box 112, Holualoa, HI 96725

(808) 324-1749

e-mail: info@konaglassbottomboat.com

• 2 weeks later...

Archived