car or train???

mdeane

We are so looking forward to the scenic hwy between Anchorage and Seward but cannot decide which mode to take. Seems like it would be nice to stop along the way but also would like the grands to have the experience of the train. You who have done both, please help me decide. Thanks

I have done both many times. Are you going to have a car out of Anchorage?? If so, just drive back on the Arm, I do this several times each trip. It's 1 1/4 hour to Whittier, so easy to fit in even in the evening.

Thanks BQ. Are you saying to drive to the arm and then go back to Anchorage and take the train to Seward? I am just learning the ins and outs of Alaska. I had to talk my DH into going as we usually go to warmer climates in the winter but I am so excited about Alaska and seeing it with my grandchildren. Your expertise is so wonderful. I shall have many more questions before we go next July. Thanks. Myra

Thanks BQ. Are you saying to drive to the arm and then go back to Anchorage and take the train to Seward? I am just learning the ins and outs of Alaska. I had to talk my DH into going as we usually go to warmer climates in the winter but I am so excited about Alaska and seeing it with my grandchildren. Your expertise is so wonderful. I shall have many more questions before we go next July. Thanks. Myra

Are you just coming into Anchorage, then going to Seward??? No other time in Alaska??? If so, then it really will be a toss up which transfer, both have their pluses. I do like a car in Seward if staying more than one day. But taxis are very available.

I suggested the Arm drive, IF you were touring Anchorage and other interior areas north, with more time, it doesn't sound like you are??

What about whittier what would the suggestion be. we did the train to seward 9 years ago.

Are you coming in early and touring interior Alaska??? Do you have any interest in Seward again??

If just looking for a transfer to Whittier, I suggest the regular run of the Alaska RR, this allows you the opportunity for a Prince William Sound boat tour, and still plenty of time to get on your ship. Views far superior to anything seen from your ship.

BQ or anyone, We have considered Talkeetna and Denali but especially Denali is so far from Seward and the ship. Is it really worth the extra days or would my two teens get tired of all the travel? They are my main consideration. I would love to see Denali. Need more details and alternatives. So many thanks. Myra

BQ or anyone, We have considered Talkeetna and Denali but especially Denali is so far from Seward and the ship. Is it really worth the extra days or would my two teens get tired of all the travel? They are my main consideration. I would love to see Denali. Need more details and alternatives. So many thanks. Myra

My opinion only. :) Getting all the way to Alaska is a chore for some. :) If Denali Park is of interest to you, then do consider it. Involve the teens in th planning. There is nothing that gets more interest, then seeing, come alive what you have read about. The extra days are very likely to be very worthwhile. Even with a shuttle bus to Fish Creek, I'm sure the teens will have an interest in spotting wildlife. A stop in Talkeetna, offers a nice funky town experience, and Anchorage, has plenty to see and do. http://www.anchorage.net Seward is also very worth 2 days. Exit Glacier, Seavey's Sled Dogs, Kenai fjords boat tour, Alaska Sealife Center. etc.

Are you coming in early and touring interior Alaska??? Do you have any interest in Seward again??

If just looking for a transfer to Whittier, I suggest the regular run of the Alaska RR, this allows you the opportunity for a Prince William Sound boat tour, and still plenty of time to get on your ship. Views far superior to anything seen from your ship.

Yes we are doing a week before. So I was aondering about a one way Avis. Is that what you would do?

No interest in Seward again am planning on PWS tour though. Don't know which one yet.

Yes we are doing a week before. So I was aondering about a one way Avis. Is that what you would do?

No interest in Seward again am planning on PWS tour though. Don't know which one yet.

If you are doing a Whittier boat tour, you are going to have to be there, about the same time, so it won't matter if you take the train, or drive. I would compare the costs and go with the cheaper option.

As another suggestion with a one way car, I have spent time in Valdez and then taken the ferry direct to Whittier.

Archived