Looking for SPECTACULAR snorkeling in the eastern Caribbean

BetsyNY

Hubby and I went to Brewers Bay in Tortola. We had one of the best experience we have had there!

There is a reef to the left that most people go to, but we noticed to the right that many birds were diving in so we knew there were schooling fish in that area.

There ended up being a whole food chain in progress and it was amazing to be apart of it. After a few hours it dawned on me that the progression of fish were getting larger and larger and I was in total awe. Great experience, saw thousands of fish in all different categories from small to fish upto 5 feet or more schooling and feeding.

It was also a hoot seeing the birds dive in to get the fish right next to you!

They have a restaurant there also for lunch and snacks, and a vendor that was doing some amazing BBQ.

You can also go to the baths in Virgin Gordo that shouldn't be missed. I find that place amazing since it so different than any other Island in the area. Especially considering that you can see St John USVI, Tortolla and many others and Virgin Gordo looks like nothing like any of the others.

Best of cruising to you!

Jan

Ports are Grand Turk, St. Thomas, Tortola and Half Moon Cay, Bahamas. We love to snorkel--what's the best excursion and/or spot to do this? We have our own gear so it doesn't have to be a tour.

Stuart's Cove at Nassau, Bahamas: http://www.dive-bahamas.com/

Two excellent snorkel stops before you snorkel with the sharks - that's spectacular!

Patouche at Tortola: Their web site won't open right now. Probably needs an IT tweak.:p

Not spectacular, but a first rate operator and excellent snorkeling.

While at Saint Thomas on the CB just two weeks ago we went on a half day catamaran cruise aboard the Dancing Dolphin, Went to Turtle Cove on Little Buck Island. Had a blast swimming with the fish and the sea turtles. The excursion was through Princess.Here's one of my photos......

140-1.jpg

Ports are Grand Turk, St. Thomas, Tortola and Half Moon Cay, Bahamas. We love to snorkel--what's the best excursion and/or spot to do this? We have our own gear so it doesn't have to be a tour.

Hi Betsy, I assume you mean Half Moon Cay Bahamas and not Nassau Bahamas (where stuart's cove is). Half moon offers a snorkel tour (nothing worthwhile at that the beach/swimming area). The snorkel tour goes left out of the tenor dock (away from the beach), around the corner of the island to a set of coral mounds in about 15 ft. of water. It's pristine but not a lot of coral. Grand Turk, St. Thomas and Tortola are all better. BTW, are you on one of the Zuiderdam trips this fall? If so, which one? I'm on the Nov. 10th trip visiting these islands. I'm going to dive in Grand Turk, and probably snorkel at St. Thomas and Half Moon. :)

Randall

• 2 weeks later...
Stuart's Cove at Nassau, Bahamas: http://www.dive-bahamas.com/

Two excellent snorkel stops before you snorkel with the sharks - that's spectacular!

Patouche at Tortola: Their web site won't open right now. Probably needs an IT tweak.:p

Not spectacular, but a first rate operator and excellent snorkeling.

Oops, sorry! I missed the Half Moon Cay reference.:o

I did snorkel there by boat. There are a few coral gardens not far from shore. It was decent, but certainly not "spectacular".

From your list definitely go with Patouche at Tortola. Their web site's on line again.

http://www.patouche.com/

One of the best sites I have been to was The Indians off Tortola. The excursion was through "Dive Tortola". The trip was only advertised as a "Norman Island" trip, but because we had only a few people, we went to "The Indians" as well - great trip.

The Indians are a relatively well known formation off the port of Road Town, and can be seen when arriving and departing Road Town.

For your trip I would recommend St. John - probably Trunk Bay is the easiest to get to and The Indians - both are great. I would definitely save Half Moon Cay for floating in the water - just a fantastic day.

Happy floating!

Pam

Guys, don't forget to snorkel out from Hal Moon Cay's kiddos water park to the reef balls and off Margaritaville, Grand Turk for some small critters in the coral potholes by the docks. :)

Hi,

I'll be at HMC in November, where are the "reef balls" (a few landmarks or pointers would be appreciated).

Randall

We were there last week. Not great snorkeling, but easy and available and no extra cost unless you are renting equipment.

As you look at the water from the beach, go left toward the rocks--there are scattered coral heads with some tropicals around, and the concrete reef balls used to attract new life.

We dove with Coki Beach Dive Club last week, very nice dive. A tank and weights is $10. Snorkeling is free if you have equipment and gear is easily available for rent.

It was surprisingly nice diving. I would go again in a heartbeat. We've spent a lot more than $10. for lousy diving at other places and times. It's easy, cheap, and the guys are a lot of fun.

We used Sunny Liston Tours to get there, but a taxi ride would allow one to dive all day.Many taxis were available at the dock. I understand that a taxi costs about $20. to Coki Beach Dive Club.

Very nice dives, so I would have high hopes for snorkeling. The visibility in the water was very good--50-60 feet. Water temp 83 degrees F. We are now interested in going to GT for a dive vacation--anyone know anything about shore diving at the resorts or elsewhere on Grand Turk?

Boat divng is a little pricy--we paid $80. for a 2 tank.

We were there last week. Not great snorkeling, but easy and available and no extra cost unless you are renting equipment.

As you look at the water from the beach, go left toward the rocks--there are scattered coral heads with some tropicals around, and the concrete reef balls used to attract new life.

Hi,

In March I snorkeled around the rocks on the left (saw some fireworms, a juvenile stripped butterflyfish and a sea horse but not much else). I did see some balls in the sand (looked like WWII underwater mines buried in the sand) but there wasn't much around them. I did pay for the snorkel trip and they went to the left out of the tender docks about 10 minutes by boat to the far side of the island where there were some scattered coral heads which weren't bad. I know they used to do a one-tank scuba dive straight out from the beach which was really nice (lots of fish, garden eels, spotted eels, a huge black grouper, etc.) but I understand they've cancelled that since the dive company quit coming to the island (they came from Eleuthera every day). But it's too far to snorkel out to and you'd have to keep an eye out for the constant tender traffic. Any additional info on snorkeling at HMC would be great.

Thanks,

Randall

• 2 weeks later...

I was on the Celebrity Millenium in 2005 and we stopped in St. Thomas, took a ferry to St. John and hiked on the different trails through the national park. One of the trails (somewhat difficult) led down to a series of empty coves where you could have your own small private beach to snorkel from. I, of course, didn't think to bring my snorkeling gear, but it would have been amazing. Due to the rocky and steep trail, not very many people made the trek, so you would be able to "get lost" there easily. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived