Iron-On Fabric Adhesive

Leo Jay

I have a pair of pants I want to wear on our upcoming cruise, but don't think I'll have time to get it to a tailor before we leave Friday. I haven't hemmed a pair of pants in years, so I'm thinking about just using that iron-on adhesive -- will I be able to get that stuff off if I want to have the pants properly hemmed in the future?

Yes and no.

You will be able to seperate the fabric that has been aheared, but the glue will remain on it and it is VERY hard to get off.

My advice:

Fold the pants to where you want the hem to be. pin them. Lay them flst and sideways on a table with the legs on top of each other and make them equal. Press a crease in the bottoms. If you are going to have plain bottoms leave about 2" and cut the excess off, if they are to have cuffs leave 4".

Take a needle and thread and whip stich the fabric on the inside, then press.

This should hold untill you get back from your cruise, if not the tailor on the ship would be ablr to help you fix them if the hem came down.

HOWEVER usually a same day dry cleaner has tailoring services and they can be done the same or next day. Hemming pant legs isn't rocket science, and can be done by anyone. I leave my other alterations to my Italian tailor.

Dave:eek:

I have to agree, a temporary sewn hem would be far better than an adhesive. My fear would be the adhesive would show through the fabric.

What I do to make it quick and easy is to use my thumbnail as a guide, each stitch taken is the width of the nail, so they are all equal. Too far apart and it won't hold, too close and you will see the stitching.

Or, get your pants in tomorrow morning and hope for the best from the dry cleaners, plead with them that you need a one day service :)

Thanks for the cautions on the adhesive -- my lazy bachelor side was tempted to go that route. Tonight, I'll try to dust off my needle and thread skills...

what?? Your "lazy bachelor side" didn't consider duct tape? :D J/K as others have mentioned, any place that does alterations should be able to get em in and out of there in a day. Pinning takes the most time. If you bought them at a store that does alterations, they should be able to take care of this. (sometimes for free, others for a small fee).

Archived