Just back from Splendour

Just returned from Med cruise aboard Splendour. I cruised on this ship some 5 years ago, and it was almost as I remembered it except the cabins are really getting tatty. If anyone from RCCL reads this board - seriously have a look at the beds!! We had three cabins (two balcony cabins and one Grand Suite) on this ship and in all cases, the mattresses were completely worn out, flat and hard. We had to have separate mattresses placed on top of the existing ones just to get a good night's sleep. Generally I thought the cabins looked quite shabby and whoever chose those colour schemes cannot profess to be an interior designer. The public areas of the ship are still very nice, and look pretty new. Overall though, there are several things we weren't happy with - the AOL email wasn't working all week, seemingly no attempt to get it working (a big problem for me as I needed to access my business email), the machines in the amusement arcade on Deck 10 were all broken, and the staff on the reception desk were slow and not that friendly or helpful. On the third day, we were already having 'gratuities' rammed down our throats, before we'd even had chance really to experience the service. Disembarkation day again - usual RCCL experience of being 'thrown off' as soon as you wake, with people leaving as early as 6.45 am and everyone expected to be off by 8.30. If you were at a hotel, you have till at least 10am to vacate your room - why not on ships? No room service after midnight on the night before disembarkation and a ridiculously early breakfast sitting - I just can't eat breakfast that early in the morning. It was as I expected, every opportunity to 'turn you upside down and shake out the pennies'! Sorry folks, but its a real shame that such a few small things can irritate so much. RCCL can do something about all these little things, like many other cruise lines have done. NCL have their 'Freestyle' whereby you are less pressured to leave the ship. There is no doubt that cruising is growing in popularity dramatically, but equally the choice of ships is growing for consumers, and we'll always go for the best we can afford, so I think RCCL ought to wake up a bit to 'customer service' and just try that bit harder to make us more comfortable and less pressured on our vacation.

Sorry to hear that you had a bad experience. It is important though to separate the business policy with the of the ship/service that you receive. We were on Splendour in June and I really couldn't fault it at all. I have to admit I didn't examine my mattress, but I found the bed, and cabin to be fine. Perhaps you were unlucky, but I would have thought that the GS would have been meticulous. I had [i]some [/i]problems with the e-mail; some computers weren't working; but no real issues. I used yahoo and accessed my freeserve account once whilst surfing.

Your other comments reflect on RCCL as a company, and I have to admit with you I think their standards have dropped markedly over the past couple of years. I think that the cost-cutting has become apparant, and its a shame. However, without exception (yet) the service and the enthusiasm of the staff have always made us like the RCCL product and as such we haven't ventured elsewhere... yet - we will probably try Celebrity at the back-end of next year. The gratuity issue does gall me as well as it is shameless promotion and I think reflects awfully on the company since the obviously pay their staff a pittance and the punter has to subsidise them - but PLEASE don't turn this into a tipping threads they are abundant elsewhere.

I also agree about kicking you off the ship early, but we also like to board early and were on board and in our rooms at 11.30am when we boarded, so I guess you can't "have your cake and eat it". I ignore the tannoy anouncements though and go for brekkie as late as possible, and got off the ship around 8.30am in June.

I had different grievances in June, and this reflected largely on the passengers. I had to write to RCCL to review some of their policies. I felt that the entertainment, and CD, were poor. Only the comedian was good. (Of course the singers and dancers were good, but it was apparant they were doing 3 shows to cut costs).
There were kids running uncontrolled around the ship, and teenagers obviously revelling in the alcohol policy (ie 18) loud and raucous throughout the ship, but sadly mainly in the solarium. They really should have stepped in and removed them.
Finally I felt the passengers yet again didn't make the effort to get dressed up at dinner and let themselves down; it takes all the joy out of the formal dining for me.

You may well find the newer ships better. We went on Brilliance when she was brand new it was smashing, be interesting to compare her 2 years later. RCCL are obviously cost-cutting to pay for their capital investment in their rapid fleet expansion

Wow! I read your posts with interest especially about decor...I was under the impression that she was totally refurbished in oct 2003 to include rooms!

We started cruising years ago with Carnival and they always crammed tips down your throat. I just listen and do what I want.
When we sailed Hawaii we had to be up at crack of dawn and they also wanted the ship empty by 8:30. Do you think they did this because all of the flights seem to leave early from Europe.

I agree that cost cutting issues have prompted many negative posts about RCI ships. I think the dress code is a reflection of the change in the age of cruisers. As this type of vacation becomes more popular younger people are cruising and are not interested in dressing up like us oldtime cruisers.

I am also sad to hear about unruly children which is also becoming more of a problem. We have not experienced much of this but try to cruise when the kids are in school.

[quote name='cruisnfool']

I agree that cost cutting issues have prompted many negative posts about RCI ships. I think the dress code is a reflection of the change in the age of cruisers. As this type of vacation becomes more popular younger people are cruising and are not interested in dressing up like us oldtime cruisers.

I am also sad to hear about unruly children which is also becoming more of a problem. We have not experienced much of this but try to cruise when the kids are in school.[/QUOTE]We are 31 and 30 and enjoy the dressing up part... Not sure you can blame "younger" cruisers....
However, you can blame mass market cruising and the lowering of standards as a function of this, to get more people on board of their expanded fleet. I just wish they would make some cruises more "formal" and strictly adhere the dress codes, behaviour policies etc.
BTW Not anti-children but anti-parent when they can't control them. Real issue on this cruise
BTW; please don't let this put you off your cruise, our moans and groans; the cruise was excellent for me, in particular I enjoyed the ports of call although quite tiring with all the travelling. I would avoid RCCL trips if I was you very exopensive and there are much cheaper alternatives.

Archived