Chichen Itza--How Far?

Matt2000

I have always been interested in Chicen Itza, but have never been b/c it was always offered as a tour from Cozumel that was EXTREMELY long(like 7 or 8 hours I believe). Are these ruins much closer from Progresso? Where the ship docks(Fantasy), how far away is Chichen Itza? What about other ruins? Anything within 15 to 30 minutes? I want to see and do a lot so I don't want to spend all day at just one place. Any recommendations for what to do? Thanks!

Matt,

From the reading I've done, the closest are the Dzibilchaltun Ruins which are 20 or so minutes from Progreso from what I've been told. They're VERY small compared to the others which are 1 to 2 hours away, but it's the only option for a "quick trip" to see some ruins in between hitting the beach, shopping, etc. We're thinking about taking our kids there because frankly, we're also not enthused about spending hours on a bur ride, especially in September (very hot) with two small kids. By the time we made it to the ruins my daughter would be miserable and we'd end up not enjoying ourselves.

When is your cruise? We're on the Fantasy September 8th.

Archived